Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,567 Posts
The ZX-7RR was a limited production race-replica with a few upgrades over the standard 'R' model. Most notably, the addition of flat-slide carburetors, an all aluminum fuel tank, close ratio transmission, and solo tailsection. They are pretty trick bikes, but they can be a biotch to tune properly with the flat-slide carbs. If right, they are great. If wrong, they suck bad. The bike was only produced in 1996 and there aren't many still on the road that are true 'RR' models.

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
one of my teachers used to race one of these, it got stolen though, they recovered the frame stripped dropped off the back of a truck down the highway in phoenix... these are super rare bikes and i would love to own one

·
Registered
7 Posts
They weren't just made in '96. I had a 1991. Here is a little blurb about it I found. The pipes for cooling the heads are so trick. :)

My bike was stolen late summer 1992. :(

Back in the day there was talk about the manufactures limiting HP to 100 to keep the bikes from getting 'too powerful'. Kawi was the only company that did that in 91 and 92 to the ZX7R, the ZX7RR had an unrestricted cam.

"It seems a little hard to believe in this modern age of super-light, ultra-powerful motorcycles, but the comparatively heavier and somewhat tankish 7RR was the unquestioned king of the AMA for the better part of the ’90s. The bike brought Kawasaki into an era of awe-inspiring dominance at the hands of riders such as Scott Russell and Doug Chandler, whose combined efforts resulted in an amazing four AMA championships over a period of seven years. Russell also took the Kawasaki 750 to the World Superbike Series, where he silenced all the critics with his historic 1993 WSB championship. The ZXR750/ZX7RR, for the greater part of the decade, was the quintessential high-performance motorcycle. Its impact on racing and even modern culture was so great that, even to this day, most sportbikes — Kawasaki or not — are referred to as ‘Ninjas’ by the general public.”

The “R” version came with full race factory upgrades to include a close ratio transmission, slipper clutch, hotter Cams, bigger 39mm flatslide carbs, bigger brakes, adjustable suspension, aluminum gas tank, and solo seat cowl. This was a bike I lusted for from the day I first saw it. I remenber seeing those scoops thru the tank for the first time, it just screamed “Superbike”
Brand new the bike was close to $12,000 back in 1992."

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,567 Posts
They weren't just made in '96. I had a 1991
No, you had a ZX-7R back in '91. Back then the standard model was the ZX-7 while the upgraded factory model was labelled the ZX-7R. The RR model was only produced in '96 when the added the R to the name of the standard model and the RR for the special factory version. It was a designation thing that confuses a lot of people. If you look at a pic of your old bike, the decal on the solo tail section will say 'ZX-7R' on it. Not an RR.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sadly, I have exactly one photo of my 91. I'll have to find it before commenting on the RR vs R vs no R. But I don't think the addition or subtraction of an R in the name means anything.

Quick, I am kind almost sure the 7RR had adjustable mounting plates for the swing arm. Or I could be getting that confused with my 2003 ZX6RR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts