Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking for any and all information on building a ZX7R Stroker motor.

Whats the best combination of bore to use? The motor will be getting a new set of slugs, rings and some over-bore.

I have two spare 1996 motors; complete. I have heard that I need a pre 1996 ZX7R crank and 1.3 mm base gasket. But what are parts and problems will I run into? I have read that I need to carefully measure the valve to piston head clearance and in some articles I have read that I need to machine a valve relief into the piston?

I hear its a bitch getting the timing chain on but that slotted timing chain gears help out. What years did the slotted time chain gears come from? I have one set in a pile of parts I bought.

My guess is that the engine will be slightly taller and that I may need to hollow out the motor mount holes a bit.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
115 Posts
:rolleyes::rolleyes:$3000 for that kit? I am sure the crank is inspected and welded and what-not... But damn...
Nice kit but wow, expensive. You'd be better off saving a little more and buying a 10r! LOL

Kits are usually expensive no matter what you're talking about.(Big bore, turbo, etc) I've always found if you are able to piece one together its almost always cheaper. I always laugh when I see a turbo kit for a car thats $3500 and we are able to build the same setup using the parts of our choice and end up spending half the price of the kit.:lol:

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,567 Posts
I'm pretty sure the most you'll be able to do is 2mm over bore and use the old '93-'95 cranks which have a bit more stroke and were drop-ins. The most you'll be able to go is up to 850cc I believe. And I think that's with the 2mm overbore and the older crank. Not sure why you think the motor will be taller tough and you'll have to monkey with the motor mounts? :dontknow: You'd be using the same block just changing out the internals. With the smaller base gasket, the cylinders will sit a small amount shorter but there should be enough freeplay in the upper frame mounts to take that into account.

I'm not sure that this is the proper forum for your question though, as the ZX-7 subforum isn't very active. Have you been on Redmonkey at all? That is the better place for info as there are a lot of Euro guys still riding and modding those bikes. Also, a good place for some additional info is http://www.webzxr.co.uk/ if you haven't seen that site.

I will tell you that I have a '96 ZX-9R motor in my '00 ZX-7R. It was a piece of cake with the BRG adapter kit. If you've already got 2 motors though, that would be easier than trying to source a B-model ZX-9 motor. They are few and far between these days. The problem with the 750 motor is that you can only do so much with it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ZX7RR Ten year anniversary special edition,

Nice kit but wow, expensive. You'd be better off saving a little more and buying a 10r! LOL

Got a 2006 ZX10R my brothers! :lol:

And guess what? :dontknow:

It painted up like a 1996 ZX7RR; Green, Purple and Alpine Metallic White! My version of a ten year anniversary special edition. In three weeks the gold wheels head off to be anodized purple. I loved that color combo back in the day! :crackup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts