·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
help please electrical gurus

anyone here got experience with kwakka zx750r 96 model

its cranking well but not firing

no fuel pump prime when ignition on ?
put volt meter on to fuel pump connection and no power at connection when ignition on? what powers the fuel pump, anything to do with other components :dontknow:
also when i direct wire fuel pump to battery it then does click but not whirring like im used to on later model bikes , is this normal for them just to click inside :dontknow: is it working as it should

dont know much about these lol

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
sounds like the pump is bad, replace.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like the pump is bad, replace.
yeah im thinking that, these pumps make a big noise while on right :dontknow:

also the no power to pump, that must mean i have 2 issues then :headshake

what am i tracing these wires back to, does anyone know? :eek:ccasion1

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,567 Posts
The ZX-7 is carbureted, so you will not hear it until the motor is running. It's not like the ZX-10 and doesn't need to "prime" anything. You won't hear it running when the ignition is on. I would remove the fuel filter and clean or replace it to see if it's obstructing the flow. Also check the pump output by unhooking the output side and running it to a bucket to catch the fuel. A pressure gauge would be better, but this will tell you if the flow is good.

When was the last time carbs were cleaned? If they are dirty, it will be a PITA to start. That would be the next place to look.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ZX-7 is carbureted, so you will not hear it until the motor is running. It's not like the ZX-10 and doesn't need to "prime" anything. You won't hear it running when the ignition is on. I would remove the fuel filter and clean or replace it to see if it's obstructing the flow. Also check the pump output by unhooking the output side and running it to a bucket to catch the fuel. A pressure gauge would be better, but this will tell you if the flow is good.

When was the last time carbs were cleaned? If they are dirty, it will be a PITA to start. That would be the next place to look.
great info there thanks , im going to do all of that and see how i go :thumbsup:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i got it going, it was the pump, i removed the pump and hooked it up direct to the battery, it coughed and spluttered and then started working, now i have to address the coolant issue lol.
thanks to everyone for your input, i know more about this bike now, i also know its damn heavy to push around. what a heavy pig of a bike lol

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,567 Posts
Glad you got it up and running. What's the coolant issue?

PS - It's not THAT heavy of a bike. :wink:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when i got back from a short test ride it was hissing for 20 seconds after i turned it off, the engine was very hot , the coolant level was low but not empty, i dont know if the water was circulating around the engine, perhaps the thermostat has gone, i will look into it tomoz

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
sounds like thermostat is stuck or cap isnt sealing properly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts