Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to try out a 06 zx14 shifter on a 2004 zx10r to try and get ride on slop in the shifter and have a easier replacment if you damaged the shifter. You will need a 10mm wrench and a 8mm wrench.

Take off the OEM rod and the swivel that connect to the shifter shaft.

Leave the heel rest peg in place.

Install the zx14 shifter pedal to the zx10r shaft. (Keep adjusting it by positioning it on the shaft
till it's to your liking.

Tighten the 8mm bolt and enjoy a better pedal feel, quicker shifting, better acceleration, stability, easier shifts.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
>> impetus <<

BIGIRB2002 <> I'm interested what made you do this. Had you seen this done elsewhere? How has it worked out for you? Do you feel any lateral flex in the shifter lever when shifting?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
I know of another person who's done this. The shift lever becomes more secure since it's directly connected to the shift rod. The stock shift lever uses a torque tube and a plain bearing arrangement. The plain bearing is what causes the slop referenced.

The problem with this set up is that it reverses the shift direction into the GP pattern (1 up, 5 down). That's the good part. The other issue is more related to track use. The shift pedal is locked in that position. For adjustable rearsets, moving them up and back, the pedal spacing increases since the pedal doesn't move with the peg. And when you crash on the left, the shift pedal gets damaged and is harder to replace. You can't just swap the rearsets out and move to the next session. That's the reason it doesn't come from the factory this way.

If you don't adjust your rearsets and like the reverse pattern, then you can do it this way. Not me though.

Reactions: Melampus

·
Registered
127 Posts
>> Johnny on the Spot <<

SKYD <> Once more, my hat tips to you, fine sir. Thank you.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I did the same thing to my drag bike 2 years ago, for the same reason of eliminating slop. I ended up getting a shifter from junk yard for an older kawasaki bike (was an 1100 I think). Same concept as using the 14 shift lever, but I think the one I have is a bit longer which would be good for people still foot shifting.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I did the same thing to my drag bike 2 years ago, for the same reason of eliminating slop. I ended up getting a shifter from junk yard for an older kawasaki bike (was an 1100 I think). Same concept as using the 14 shift lever, but I think the one I have is a bit longer which would be good for people still foot shifting.
The ZX14 one was the perfect length for mine. Got my air shifter working using the 14 lever.

https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f32/nitrous-oxide-powered-air-shifter-351251.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts