Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the process os swapping a friends ZX12 arm to a 05 ZX10 arm.

We will be using a ZX10 rear wheel, rotor and caliper as 12 wheel hub is too wide to go in the 10 arm.

I want to see if I can fit the ZX10 wheel up also but that will take some more time. ZX10ryda was kind enough to give me one of the dimensions I need to see if it fits.

You can mount the entire ZX10 front end but there are pros and cons. You get radial mount brakes and a lighter wheel but the forks are shorter and require the use of a different bar set up or clip ons which cause faring clearance issues. If you have a 2000 to 2003 12 the brakes may be an upgrade but the other problems don't make it worth the hassle in my opinion which is why I want to see if the 10 wheel will fit so they match.

I am mounting the arm with a hybrid ZX12/10 pivot I machined along with spacers to match. Everything should be a bolt in affair once I get it done.
The 12 uses a 25mm pivot and the 10 uses a 20mm. The threaded adjuster on the 12 is 32mm and the 10s is 30mm. There are a few other differences but those are the major ones. I will post it all up once i get everything mounted.

Others have use another method to mount the 10 arm and while they worked I wanted to try something else.

I will update this when i get some more work done.
I have the spacers machined but no pics of those yet. On my days off later this week I will be test fitting the arm and take more then.

Started as this lump os steel like this shaft. Several hours later it is finished.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
What iis the advantage of this or is it a "just to see if I can project?" Either way, I cant wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What iis the advantage of this or is it a "just to see if I can project?" Either way, I cant wait to see the finished product.
The guys who have done it say it handles better. I'm can't say one way or the other as I have never ridden one with the 10 arm. It is a little shorter than the 12 arm but it's less than an inch difference. I have ot measure it to see exactly how much shorter.
I think a lot of it comes down to the look.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Obviously you have some fabrication skills and tools so why not just make your own arm? In the near future I am making my own swingarm for a 240 conversion.
I'm a machinist and while I can weld it isn't pretty, especially with thin aluminum. To fabricate a swing arm takes a lot of time plus sheet metal forming and welding skills that I am in short supply of. A tube steel one would be doable but neither myself or the future owner like that style.

Another factor is cost. Getting someone to buy an item that is hand made is hard these days with the walmart mentality people have. A first gen 10r arm can be had for less than 100 bucks on ebay. Making something similar would run over $1000 easily. Unless you plan on making a bunch to sell it isn't worth it because you need welding fixtures and all that.

The conversion has been done by a couple of people already but they used a different method to fit it. One has made permanent mods to the frame which I am against. What i have made is a purely bolt on affair . I did it mainly to see if I could and to see if it would be truly bolt on.
This friday we are scheduled to install it on my friends bike. I used mine for mock up so I know it fits but don't have any pics of it mounted up. I will take some after it is on. I nickle plated the parts I made so they won't easily rust.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha fun. im so sick of cutting threads on a lathe. good work man
Thanks

I actually like single pointing. Most of the hacks I work with love taps and dies instead. :headshake Don't get to do much of it and when I do it is usualy on a personal project. It was fun learning to do the metric threads since I haven't done it before on this lathe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts