Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have annoying problem with the KQS.
Going up 3rd is near impossible to get other than the first two laps.
It was the same with the stock pegs, is the same with rearsets.
The bike had the recall for the suspect gear and I feel the KQS to 3rd got worse after that, although it did more track work after that job.
Postes for enlightenment before I start pulling bits off.
I have a couple of things I'm going to try.

#1. Heavier grade oil. I'm wondering if 5100 maybe a little thin for 40C air temps and 55+C track temps. (Although the same problem raised it's head on a somewhat cooler day 3 months ago). I have no problem getting 3rd for two laps. After that I can only grab it by clutch shifting.

#2. Weak spring on the shift shaft.

#3. Binding of the shift selector mechanism.

Has any one had similar experiences with the Gen 5 KQS?

TIA

·
Registered
627 Posts
I do not have that issue on my RR. Still, I am having the transmission removed, microfinished and properly shimmed to spec.
Shifting problems have always been issues on the ZX10s

·
Registered
670 Posts
The stock QS timing on these bikes is shite. You're gonna wanna get the Race Tools from Woolich, or get with someone who has the Race Tools, and make the necessary adjustments.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the same issue in 3rd and even to 4th, but i notice it only as i coming out from corner and the bike is not vertical yet and i am in heavy accelerating. In straits no issue.
I have Gilles rearsets. I tried adjust the pivot angles, but nothing helped. I thought it is because the heavy acceleration. It is very confusing to need to blip the throttle while you hunting laptimes..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts