Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, so the other day I was riding my bike and when all of a sudden it's real wheel locked up, wobbled like crazy and then it did shut off. I pulled over to see what was going on and didn't find anything. Then the bike wouldn't start. It makes one click, not like turning over click, just one click and doesn't turn over. I thought it might've been the battery but no that wasn't the case, I checked pretty much everything electrical related and nothing seems to be wrong but the bike doesn't turn over. While I was riding the bike didn't over heat, nor did it lack oil. So Idk, if anyone else knows anything please help me out

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,735 Posts
The rear wheel locked up? Why did that happen? Chain jump the sprocket? Gear box screwed up? Gotta finger it why that is. Motor won't start with it in gear so you got issues related to why the rear wheel locked and that's why it's not starting. Stop looking at electrical issues and figure out the real problem.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just a wild shot in the dark but I would say a motor problem. My ktm rc8r did nearly the same thing when it threw a piston rod threw the gearbox. If you can't pull the clutch in and get the bike to roll, can't start in neutral, etc you really have some sort of motor issue

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rear wheel locked up? Why did that happen? Chain jump the sprocket? Gear box screwed up? Gotta finger it why that is. Motor won't start with it in gear so you got issues related to why the rear wheel locked and that's why it's not starting. Stop looking at electrical issues and figure out the real problem.
yeah the rear wheel locked up, it skidded a bit as it did that i grabbed the clutch to disengaged the clutch and came to a hault. i checked the sprockets the chain didnt jump theres no sign of it doing that. im not sure if the gear box is screwed up but i can shift through all the gears up and down even when the bike is off. im guess the gear box is fine. any trouble shooting that i can do???? thanks

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,735 Posts
im not sure if the gear box is screwed up but i can shift through all the gears up and down even when the bike is off.
Well, there's part of your issue then. You should not be able to shift through the gears with the engine off. The Positive Neutral Finder (PNF) prevents the gear to be selected from anything other than neutral or 1st gear unless the rear wheel is spinning. So either you're really not going through the gears and it just feels like it because the pedal moves or you've got gearbox problems.

The rear wheel should never just "lock up" and skid. So the motor seized up, the chain jumped off the main/rear sprocket, transmission is hosed, etc. If the rear brake locked it, then the clutch would have no effect to free the rear wheel to turn again. You've got issues that need to be looked into from a mechanical standpoint. Does the crankshaft turn? You should pull the engine cover on the right side over the timing cover and use a wrench to see if the motor will actually turn and is not seized. Then you can move on to figuring out if the starter motor will actually turn. That will give you more info as to what's really going on, but it sounds more serious than just not starting.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,735 Posts
It would also help to know exactly what version of the ZX-10R we're talking about here. Year? Model? Modifications? Mileage? All the pertinent details....

Reactions: scout

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would also help to know exactly what version of the ZX-10R we're talking about here. Year? Model? Modifications? Mileage? All the pertinent details....
so it's 2008 zx10r with only 8934 miles on it. so it's barely broken in. But where exactly can i find the camshaft bolt? I thought it was on the stator side but i dont think that's it.....You may be right but how can motor seize up when it wasnt over heated or, low on oil. I checked the oil filter there wasnt a single metal shaving in it...so idk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so it's 2008 zx10r with only 8934 miles on it. so it's barely broken in. But where exactly can i find the camshaft bolt? I thought it was on the stator side but i dont think that's it.....You may be right but how can motor seize up when it wasnt over heated or, low on oil. I checked the oil filter there wasnt a single metal shaving in it...so idk
bone stock with only a leovince slip on exhaust and a servo buddy

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,735 Posts
The camshaft bolt is on the camshafts under the valve cover. Has nothing to do with what I described, which was the crankshaft. That is directly connected to the stator on the left side of the motor and the timing rotor on the right side. You need to pull the cover or plugs on the right side in front of the clutch cover.

Finding no metal pieces in the oil filter is irrelevant. Metal would fall directly into the oil pan and never get picked up in the oil pump to go to the filter. Unless you've pulled the oil pan off the bike and looked at it internally, you have no idea if you spun a rod bearing, through a rod bolt or have issues. You can throw a rod bearing with plenty of oil and not overheating. Neither of those things would be indicative of a problem and unless you start opening up the motor to look at the CRANKSHAFT directly, you don't know why it locked up and what's happening as to why it won't crank.

8,900 miles is way more than broken in at this point. That's not a lot of miles in the grand scheme of the bike, but more than enough miles to have a major issue with it depending on how it's treated. And the '08s had issues with the shift shaft cracking and causing gear selection issues. It needs to be upgraded to the shift shaft from the '09-'10 model to keep it from possible cracking. Did you know that? Have you had the shift shaft upgraded yet? So you have have some issues with that to. Plenty of threads on the shift shaft for the Gen 3s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The camshaft bolt is on the camshafts under the valve cover. Has nothing to do with what I described, which was the crankshaft. That is directly connected to the stator on the left side of the motor and the timing rotor on the right side. You need to pull the cover or plugs on the right side in front of the clutch cover.

Finding no metal pieces in the oil filter is irrelevant. Metal would fall directly into the oil pan and never get picked up in the oil pump to go to the filter. Unless you've pulled the oil pan off the bike and looked at it internally, you have no idea if you spun a rod bearing, through a rod bolt or have issues. You can throw a rod bearing with plenty of oil and not overheating. Neither of those things would be indicative of a problem and unless you start opening up the motor to look at the CRANKSHAFT directly, you don't know why it locked up and what's happening as to why it won't crank.

8,900 miles is way more than broken in at this point. That's not a lot of miles in the grand scheme of the bike, but more than enough miles to have a major issue with it depending on how it's treated. And the '08s had issues with the shift shaft cracking and causing gear selection issues. It needs to be upgraded to the shift shaft from the '09-'10 model to keep it from possible cracking. Did you know that? Have you had the shift shaft upgraded yet? So you have have some issues with that to. Plenty of threads on the shift shaft for the Gen 3s.

im sorry i meant the crankshaft, im gonna give that a try and see if the shaft is able to move. if it is moving then im guessing it would be something with the shift shaft. I will also look into that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts