Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a 2nd gear roll on with a friend of mine yesterday and got it on video. He has a CBR1000RR. Full akro, pc3 with arko map, 16t front, 39t rear. My ZX10R has Muzzy slip-on, pc3 with two bros map (Muzzy map really sucked!), 16t front, 39t rear. We started in second gear. The start was clean. I jumped out on the start. The 1000RR caught me on top and got me. It is 3/4 mile run. I was poping the limiter way before we finished. Whoever rated the cbr as a slug in those magazines is full of it cause this is one fast Honda.
I changed my gearing to 17t front, 41t rear. We are going to run them again tomorrow.

His 1000rr confirmed with radar gun 184mph with 16/39 gearing
My ZX10R confirmed with radar gun 175mph with 16/39 gearing

http://webpages.charter.net/ttbr/zx10rvs1000rr.wmv

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
His full system to your slip on will make some difference no doubt, going up to 41 on the rear will be almost be the same as having a 16 on the front unless that was your stock gearing, our bikes in Oz come out 17/39.
Still pretty good run and both are very close in performance. 8)

·
Registered
202 Posts
very dissappointed to hear that but his bike is faster than yours. no matter what you do with the gearing you have no chance. I saw that there is two bike lengths. with a full system and exact mapping you could get him. The advantage of the full system is after the top end. With stock headers after you hit the top end the powercurve goes downhill whereas with the full system after the top end it still goes and that makes the difference.

·
Registered
870 Posts
As mentioned the full system will give some gain on top end - dunno how much though.

Also - what was the weight difference between both riders?

I rolled on with a stock 02 R1 yesterday and really didn't beat him by much - he weighed 165 and I'm 230 so I didn't feel too bad.

We didn't get the chance to swap bikes and try it that way - my feeling is that my 10 woulda killed me on his R1 :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
D said:
As mentioned the full system will give some gain on top end - dunno how much though.

Also - what was the weight difference between both riders?

I rolled on with a stock 02 R1 yesterday and really didn't beat him by much - he weighed 165 and I'm 230 so I didn't feel too bad.

We didn't get the chance to swap bikes and try it that way - my feeling is that my 10 woulda killed me on his R1 :D
The rider on the 1000rr weighs 215lbs., I weigh 180lbs, so weight was not in his favor. His bike is just fast! Moments before our run together, he ran 184mph. In the video my zx10 was bouncing on the rev limiter 100 yds before the finish, so my gearing was not perfect for the run. I went back to 17/41, so now my bike should carry the revs farther and allow a higher top speed. If anything we will probably see a photo finish now.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Just curious, have you guys done a dyno for your bikes? same dyno same day, would be interesting to see how much of a difference there is.

·
Registered
202 Posts
you mentioned that muzzy map was bad. did you dyno it or you just ride it and felt bad. If so you may try to dynotune your bike and find exact mapping, probably your bike has a bad setup. zx10 has much more potential than 1000rr but bad setting could put your bike back. I would suggest for 3/4 mile run 2 up from rear sprocket. Considering the weight difference shows that his bike is really fast but if you are popping at the rew limiter that makes a lot of difference.

we should get this cbr otherwise ı will be very disappointed. I think your bike needs to be dynotuned with a custom map. If you put a good full system that will make a lot of difference as well. ı will go with a full akra though.

good luck

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
44 said:
you mentioned that muzzy map was bad. did you dyno it or you just ride it and felt bad. If so you may try to dynotune your bike and find exact mapping, probably your bike has a bad setup. zx10 has much more potential than 1000rr but bad setting could put your bike back. I would suggest for 3/4 mile run 2 up from rear sprocket. Considering the weight difference shows that his bike is really fast but if you are popping at the rew limiter that makes a lot of difference.

we should get this cbr otherwise ı will be very disappointed. I think your bike needs to be dynotuned with a custom map. If you put a good full system that will make a lot of difference as well. ı will go with a full akra though.

good luck

The map Muzzy sent me was just plain bad! bike ran very bad in all rpm ranges. It must have been made at their location, higher altitude than I am at. A custom map would be the way to go but there is no one in my area that has the knowledge to do this!

As for the sprockets. His 1000rr came stock with 16/41. He put the 39t rear on just to see if he could get over 180mph.(radar'd, not indicated) He is going back to the 16/41 gearing. I geared mine 16/41 and it was to short. I went to 16/39 and it was closer to the right gearing for 3/4 mile, but not right. 17/41 should be just right. As for the full system. I don't see spending $1300+ to get 5-8 extra hp than I already have. Thats about $162 per hp. The two bros map is the best one that works for me right now, until some one makes a better muzzy map.
I have been waiting for some one to blame it on rider error, or say I don't know how to do a roll on. Every shift was at 13000rpm. I couldn't shift any faster unless I had an air shifter or a quick shifter. :roll:

·
Registered
202 Posts
http://www.akrapovic-ai.si/main/catalog/products-catalog.htm

go visit this page above you will see that when you shift at 13000rpm or little below there is 11,5 hp difference. At the top end there may be around 7 hp however as we all know we dont shift at the peak we shift it after the peak so for the next gear we get a good hp.

so imagine what difference 11.5 hp will make when you shift at 13000. furthermore this is without a powercommender. I believe that with a well tuned pc you will get more out of it.

that will make a lot of difference. but if you dont want to spend money thats up to you.

I also owned zx 7s. 89-90-91-93. Thats the bike ı love most. However it is carburated and I do not remember that ıt has air fuel sensor (11 years ago) I also remember that I used to jet it with bigger jets at the inside cylinders than outside cylinders.

you mentioned that your friend went 2 down from the rear. All the bikes out of the factory are tall geared to compensate the back wind and downhill factor in some case. So going down 2 from rear will not serve for top speed because the bike will never have enough hp to pull with this gearing. Therefore without any mods going 2 up from rear will give you what you need but if you have mods and extra hp than stock since you have more power maybe 1 up from rear may be enough.

you may try to disconnect the pc and run with stock ecu and just the pipe will give you good power ı think. because a wrong map could put you down of your stock hp.

ı also dont like to spent to much money but in my country we pay 16.000$$ already for the bike and I can not stand to get passed by another bike and I also ı dont like to mess with the exup system but a full akra makes a lot of difference. you feel the extra hp at the 12k 13k rpm range and thats what pull the bike inch by inch from the other and for myself the satisfaction worth any penny.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have been waiting for some one to blame it on rider error, or say I don't know how to do a roll on. Every shift was at 13000rpm. I couldn't shift any faster unless I had an air shifter or a quick shifter. :roll:[/quote]

You can't ride! there ya go. :D

I saw a slammed 1000RR racing the 1/4 mile in Louisiana a couple months ago. He had a full system, pc and gearing....that's all that I know of and he was running 9.60's @ 148. That's pretty damn fast.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not saying it would win a race. But...if you have a reputable dyno with a sniffer get it mapped.

Unless you live in the in the same area the map was generated and/or live at similar altitude and climate the map will not be perfect. Its only a baseline and is not the optimized map for your altitude/climate.

Even if you don't gain a bunch of hp on a dyno sheet. Your bike will run better if the dyno operator knows his stuff and is worth the $200-250 cost. Zx-10's are popular in most parts and he may have some dyno charts to compare gains with similar combos.

Also, buddies don't always tell ya everything they have done :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 1000rr is fast but in noway is it faster than a 10r the rr won cause it was geared 2 down in the back you were 1 down in front thats like 3 1/2 up in the back you losing at lease 12mph maybe more on top end the rr is geared 2 down for the top end mph it made with the gearing you plan on running next might not change much cause your still shortning your top end by going 2 up end the rear 17/41 it should be closer simply because hes going to stock gearing 16/41 witch should takeaway some of his top end he once had with 16/39 gearing youll walk the dog if you go back to stock gearing i promise

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wlewis68 said:
The 1000rr is fast but in noway is it faster than a 10r the rr won cause it was geared 2 down in the back you were 1 down in front thats like 3 1/2 up in the back you losing at lease 12mph maybe more on top end the rr is geared 2 down for the top end mph it made with the gearing you plan on running next might not change much cause your still shortning your top end by going 2 up end the rear 17/41 it should be closer simply because hes going to stock gearing 16/41 witch should takeaway some of his top end he once had with 16/39 gearing youll walk the dog if you go back to stock gearing i promise

Why is it so hard to believe the 1000RR is faster than a 10r? Stock for Stock the 10R is faster. The 1000RR was modded with a full akra system, which I find to be to expensive for me right now (ordered a Green SX-1 suit instead). A full system gives more ponies up top. I just have a slip-on. It wasn't a race to be the "End all who's the fastest bike" theory. [smilie=a:

We were just having some fun and wanted to see how they stacked up against each other with the different mods. Without the full system on the 1000rr, I don't think he would have been able to pull those ratio's that he had on it. We also had a slight tail wind which contributed to those top speeds of 184mph.

As for the ratio's. Going 1 tooth down in the front equals 2 7/16ths up in the rear (which is immposible). 39/16 = 2.4375, 41.4375/17 = 2.4375 [smilie=B:
Pretty impressive for a Kentuckian. [smilie=b:
I have tested with different ratio's and have found for each tooth in the rear equals approx. 2-3 mph.

As for walking the dog on him. I did. As soon as we fired'em up, he was out of my peripheral vision. He didn't pass me until I was topped out in 6th gear. Motor fell flat and quit pulling. It was a 3/4 mile run, not a 1/4 or 1/2 mile run. He was geared for it. I wasn't. [smilie=m:

It doesn't hurt my feelings or anything that he beat me in that long of a distance. Hell, he just may be a better rider than me. Big deal. I am still happy with my 10R. :D

I just posted the video so other people could see that a modded 1000RR isn't as slow in a straight line as everybody thinks. [smilie=m:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Listening to it, it sounded like he passed you after to were in the rev limiter. Right before the limiter kicked in, it was probably already flattening out, adding to the problem. Pretty cool video - sounded awsome. I like the CBR and the ZX-10. I'd probably even like riding the CBR more, but with the zx, you get a great bike AND bragging rights. Not if you keep posting these videos though. [smilie=1:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Man you guys are so touchy worrying about this kind of shit. I have a 1000RR, it's completely stock and did a track day with someone with a green ZX10/piped/dynoed at 160 (I don't remember if it was a full system or not) and he would pull me very slowly down the front straight. It was faster as expected but certainly didn't blow me away or anything. I'm sure with a pipe I would have been about even. He was also pulling some nice 3rd gear wheelies with a little yank on the bars, it sure looks like a fun bike. After considering the 10 I bought the Honda because of it's handling, prefering more stability even if it means you have to work a little harer to turn. If $ were not an issue I would have a nice blue 10 parked next to the 1000RR, best of both worlds!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tom T said:
I have been waiting for some one to blame it on rider error, or say I don't know how to do a roll on. Every shift was at 13000rpm. I couldn't shift any faster unless I had an air shifter or a quick shifter. :roll:
I guess you may get a little better acceleration shifting at around 12000 (power peak + 0-500rpm).
I'm not a pro rider, so I'm sorry if my opinion is not accurate. :?

·
Registered
23 Posts

Bike: Blk 1000RR

Status: Online Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:49 pm Post subject: Bragging rights were up for taking.

I guess you can say this here is an update to the thread below. Nator(ZX-10) and I ride together alot and we never raced. I thought several times it was going to happen but never did. Anyway, yesterday we were out and we came to this stop sign and turned left. The road we turned onto is know for rocket owners to race and do tricks on. Before we pulled out I was wondering if the "BIG RACE" was going to happen. We pulled out Nator was in front by about a bike not counting his. I see him shift into second I shift into second. I'm rolling at about 5-6k RPMs. The next thing I see is Nator starting to tuck. I start to tuck and twist the throttle WIDE open. I pulled on him a bit. Wack third pulled a little more. By this time I'm even with his back tire. Four and fifth we stayed even. We backed out of it right away because we were coming up on a car PRETTY fast. I was so pumped!!

To be honest I thought he would pull alittle on me every gear. Not the other way around. I'll take it though. So no matter what they say the RR does hold it's own. Hope you enjoyed the story.

Spade

My bike is stock with a punch out exhaust and NATOR has a slip on, and we both weigh about the same.

Spade

1 - 20 of 31 Posts