Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my head back from ace performance racing with a stage one port and valve seat cut. i built this set up for a Kawasaki race kit camshaft. I am aware this cam is discontinued and harder to find. wondering if anyone has a new or used kit cam for sale,06-07 model?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey Lucky, just curious as to when your going to let go of the cams?? I'm about to ship out in a week and would like to get one of those from you. Let me know.

·
Registered
346 Posts
it has more lift but not more duration... and yes they will fit.
I got a set of cams from a race motor (05) but I don't know exactly who made them. I can only measure the lift. If I bring them by your shop would you take a look at them?

I was thinking of running two exhaust cams in that turbomotor but the only exhaust cam I kept was a race cam that measures as big as my stock 04 intake.
If you can, lets get together and do some riding. I need to get some miles on my motor this weekend.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah we can at least measure lift. The kawi exhaust race cam is actually smaller than a stock exhaust cam so they are usually junk but if yours are aftermarket they could be bigger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
best camshaft

What are current camshaft options available and prices to go with?
Bike has akro full system and kn filter and pcIII. I would just like to do the .45 head gasket, velocity port with the cams. Lastly, will I need the dyno jet ignition module to go with the cam?
Thanks for any help,
Eric

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
i ended up getting my cam from web cams. i sent in my stock cam. they increased lift to 9.8mm and 10 degrees more duration than stock. this grind is close to the kit cam from kawasaki but i was told it was a better profile, as fat as the lobe angels. they did an awesome job, cam looks great. the kawi kit exhaust cam is smaller but it allows you to degree your exhaust cam to 102 degrees or below with high compression pistons. even though this profile is smaller than stock, it will increase power if set up right. degreeing below 104 degrees with high compression brings the piston to valve clearance way to close, depending on set up. i have dyno proof that this smaller cam works when set up correctly, otherwise why would it be a race cam! it added about 4hp over stock exhaust cam when set at 108-101.5.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How much?

i ended up getting my cam from web cams. i sent in my stock cam. they increased lift to 9.8mm and 10 degrees more duration than stock. this grind is close to the kit cam from kawasaki but i was told it was a better profile, as fat as the lobe angels. they did an awesome job, cam looks great. the kawi kit exhaust cam is smaller but it allows you to degree your exhaust cam to 102 degrees or below with high compression pistons. even though this profile is smaller than stock, it will increase power if set up right. degreeing below 104 degrees with high compression brings the piston to valve clearance way to close, depending on set up. i have dyno proof that this smaller cam works when set up correctly, otherwise why would it be a race cam! it added about 4hp over stock exhaust cam when set at 108-101.5.
How much was it for the regrind?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I sent those cams I have to Garthman to see if he could figure out what they are or who they came from, if anybody is interested.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it was a bit costly, re grinding the cam cost less because all there doing is changing the shape of your lobes. if you want more lift and duration they have to HARD WELD the cam. the stock cams are sometimes too soft and they need to chrome the journals, which cost extra. price is $350 for the cam and $150 extra for chrome journals. $500 total. a bit pricey compared to the kawasaki kit cam but it is very well made and a better cam. also they will make the cam to any spec you want for the same price. they have a .400 lift cam available for the zx10r, compaired to the kit cams .384

1 - 17 of 17 Posts