Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm Julio Vizuete from Ecuador, I recently bought a ZX10R FKFA 2019, the version without ABS, someone knows if it is possible to install the ABS system.

·
The Pace
6,972 Posts
This bike does not need the abs. Front is all we need and front/back only in serious crap sweat emergencies.

·
Registered
ZX10R 2012
32 Posts
Hello Julio, welcome to the club!

Yes, it is possible to install ABS on it, however, it would require some additional $ and work. You will need an additional ABS unit, pump, new brake lines for abs (it has different lines length as far as I remember) and don't know exactly how does that abs thing on a rotor is called. + you'll prolly need abs dash. I might have forgotten something. And also I'm not sure about ECU, but I believe Kawi wouldn't have 2 different ECU units for abs\non abs versions.

Also, please be advised, there is a disclaimer in zx10r manual, that ABS is not there to stop you faster, it's there to not let you fall on hard braking\bad surface conditions etc. On a racetrack, abs will quickly make your ride a pain in the ass once you miss your braking point at 200+ km/h

·
Registered
355 Posts
In addition to above you need ABS version wiring loom.

I see that only realistic option is to find somebody local who converts his bike to race bike and swap all parts.
Donor must be 2019 or 2020 too.

Most critical you do it yourself or somebody you trust 99.95% doing it right, because you know its...brakes...
Don't buy critical parts from eBay, because many are from crashed bikes.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
you will need
ABS pump and lines (16-20 all the same)
ABS wire harness (19-20)

you dont need a dash... (I have a friend that this this to his 17 and does not have the dash)

ECU are all the same abs and non abs but 16-18 is one and 19-20 is another.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Julio, welcome to the club!

Yes, it is possible to install ABS on it, however, it would require some additional $ and work. You will need an additional ABS unit, pump, new brake lines for abs (it has different lines length as far as I remember) and don't know exactly how does that abs thing on a rotor is called. + you'll prolly need abs dash. I might have forgotten something. And also I'm not sure about ECU, but I believe Kawi wouldn't have 2 different ECU units for abs\non abs versions.

Also, please be advised, there is a disclaimer in zx10r manual, that ABS is not there to stop you faster, it's there to not let you fall on hard braking\bad surface conditions etc. On a racetrack, abs will quickly make your ride a pain in the ass once you miss your braking point at 200+ km/h
My motorcycle has the KLCM and KTRC system, it has the ABS discs and the sensors for the traction control system but it does not have the ABS function. Now after the explanations I think that maybe it is better to leave it that way, because if we install the ABS system, would it be a common ABS or would it be a KIBS system?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I see that only realistic option is to find somebody local who converts his bike to race bike and swap all parts.

Most critical you do it yourself or somebody you trust 99.95% doing it right, because you know its...brakes...
Dear Carlos,
My motorcycle is just 1000 miles, I am new to super bikes, although I have been riding a motorcycle since I was 7 years old, (I am 43 now) it has always been in enduro, cross or dual purpose motorcycles, this is my first super bike and I am In love with this style, I am learning the different techniques. I understand better why it does not bring ABS and I think I will leave it that way.

·
Registered
ZX10R 2012
32 Posts
My motorcycle has the KLCM and KTRC system, it has the ABS discs and the sensors for the traction control system but it does not have the ABS function. Now after the explanations I think that maybe it is better to leave it that way, because if we install the ABS system, would it be a common ABS or would it be a KIBS system?
I believe, that nothing but KIBS is possible to install there.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Julio
you need to better understand this systems before you start playing....

keep up the good questions.

also you would need a scanner and a obd to 6 pin kawasaki adapter..

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
634 Posts

You can use the removed abs setup from any year from2016 through 2020. No limit to just 19 and 20. Only difference in those two years is the finger followers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts