Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 2005 Zx10r today, and the guy who sold it to me left a lot, and I mean A LOT of things hidden, he was very shady. The gas tank has a leak in it and he put a gas tank cover over it so I didn't know that it was leaking. Also, it had some random tiny battery in there, and many other things. However, the main thing I need help with is I need someone who can replace a gas tank for me, I plan on ordering a used gas tank, but I have no idea how to do the replacement myself, and mechanics charge too much. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well swapping a gas tank is alot easier than you may think. If your buying a complete replacement tank than it's a matter of loosening 3 bolts or so. Usually you have 1 bolt in front of tank and 2 in rear on opposite sides. Once all bolts are removed you can gently pull up on tank to ensure it is completely loose. There will be quick disconnect lines and a couple breathers. Unplug and tank is free. Not sure on gen 1 if you have to remove any plastics on bike but if so do that first. Once tank is off you can do what you need to and replace a fuel pump if necessary.

Also, a small battery isn't necessarily a bad thing... The new LI technology allows batteries to get smaller and smaller. Does battery start bike? Yes? Don't worry.

Good luck and enjoy the new beast you just purchased!

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
To remove fuel tank on a gen1 youll need to remove passagner, driver seat, tank seat covers both side, one bolt rear and 2 bolts up front on the tank, unplug fuel hose and plug on shifter side and it will come off.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Download the service manual for it, that'll help too.

If you get stuck on something, come ask us. Most of us won't bite lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are any of you in rancho cucamonga and can come check out my bike and tell me everything you see wrong with it

·
Registered
836 Posts
Did you think to bring the tank too a place who repair gas tank the leak should be something who can be easily repairable check if the two side panel have the right screw. The guy maybe put two long screw and puncture the tank. When you put the tank of empty it and fill it up with water so you can see the damage or the leaks that way without doing a mess. Take a marker and identified the holes.

But you probably going to see the holes when you put out the tank.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
No spare gas tank on my end.

I did however see a 1st Gen Gas tank for sale on the ZX-10R facebook group earlier this week I think. If you have facebook, join the ZX-10R buy/sell group and search there. Another option is eBay.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Also do any of you have a spare gas tank? one that doesnt leak
I have a tank that doesn't leak, and as importantly on a Gen 1, is rust free. I am currently having problems with my photo hosting site to illustrate it. Neither side is really that bad, but it is dented. If you PM me, I can email you illustrative photos.

·
Registered
118 Posts
X2 on the side panel bolt length. I ruined one years ago not paying attention.
x3 :frown2:
When I bought my bike (used) I noticed the bolt securing said panel was not secured flush. I tightened it down, as one would do when recognizing a seemingly loose bolt, and to my dismay, a hole in my tank I did cause. I was so pissed!

·
Registered
147 Posts
To remove fuel tank on a gen1 youll need to remove passagner, driver seat, tank seat covers both side, one bolt rear and 2 bolts up front on the tank, unplug fuel hose and plug on shifter side and it will come off.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
+1

there's an electrical harness under the tank (that powers the fuel pump in the tank) that needs
to be disconnected after the tank has been lifted a bit... as well as the fuel line that has a tricky latch
jigger that needs to be released before the fuel line can be pulled off the metal pipe on the bottom of
the tank/fuel pump assy.

I hope the rest of the bike is ok. The Gen 1 is a sensational machine that won't tolerate
an undisciplined right hand. Take care Bro.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts