Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long/hours should it take a competent motorbike mechanic/ or one of you guys to Pull bike apart change timing chain, guides, cam tensioner and put bike back together ect. On a zx10r. Got a 2010 model but just give me your year as a idea anyway:)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
If I could be persuaded to do that and only that and not everything else that should be done when you split an engine, in terms of labour time only, and working with a bike and engine you are familiar with then from a track prepared bike ride in and out 5 hours, on a road bike ride in and out 6 hours. To do it professionally as it should be done add 6-7 hours. If you are not familiar with the bike and engine then you will lose time with torque out and torque in sequences and values, and the general process as you will constantly have to refer to manual. 2 big delays with a virgin 10r engine, the sprocket and clutch hub nut you will need a impact wrench with at least 800nm breakaway torque or a 1/2 inch breaker bar with a 6 foot scaffold tube and a buddy to help.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,232 Posts
I think michael is pretty accurate on that. If you're planning to try that without the removing the engine, it's a long job just accessing everything. If you pull the motor, it would be much quicker once you get the motor out, but that's part of the time for it. Big job for chain and guides since the cams come out with all that.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,232 Posts
You have too split the cases on the G3 to change the timing chain, it can't be done in the bike.
Yeah, that's what the manual says as well. Not what I was thinking initially though by just pulling the crank sprocket.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,232 Posts
It's not a removable item until G4 mate. Pain in the arse it is.
Yeah. You're more current than I am on the G3. It's been almost a decade since I had mine and I never had to do the chain on it. I was even too lazy to look at the manual before my first response. That's for setting me straight along with everyone else. ;)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Yeah. You're more current than I am on the G3. It's been almost a decade since I had mine and I never had to do the chain on it. I was even too lazy to look at the manual before my first response. That's for setting me straight along with everyone else. ;)
No problem, what i mean by the book, professionally is a complete strip clean and measure, a total refresh. I really don't see the point in spliting cases just to replace a timing chain, you don't even have to remove the head to that, just the cams. But fuck come on, it needs doing properly. Crank shaft run out, main journal & big end measuring, bore hone and piston to wall measure, ring clean measure gap check etc, valve guide wear, valve wear, cam run out journal and lobe measure, valve lash etc. Transmission check shim adjustment etc, clutch, oil pump generator. It your motor is out and split do the job properly.

·
The Pace
7,076 Posts
Thank God for the tech guys. Experience is gold. Pro training is entry mode and an important step regardless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts