Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I’m new to the forums I was just wondering if anyone could help with any ideas as to why my gen 3 (2008) isn’t charging. I found out the motorcycle wasn’t charging a few weeks ago so I changed the battery and this did not solve the issue. I checked the rectifier and stator both were working however I’ve changed them both anyway for new items and still not charging. I’ve tested the new and old stator and reg recs and I’m getting the correct amount of AC current from the stator and the correct amount of DC current from the reg recs still no not charging. I’ve cleaned all the connectors and earths on the bike. I’ve cleaned battery terminals and the starter relay (replaced the 30 amp fuse) still not charging. I’ve just changed the relay box under the seat as I can see from the wiring diagrams a wire from the reg rec goes to it however it’s still not charging. Does anyone have any ideas other ideas to try? I have had the vin checked and all the recalls have been done.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,231 Posts
Welcome!

I'm really curious where you measured the voltages and what they were when you did. It's a pretty simple system and the only recall that affects that was for the rectifier. That model had an issue with the placement of it subject to the engine heat. The rectifier fails more frequently because of that heat load.

Assuming you've replaced everything with OEM parts and measured the AC voltage at 46VAC out of the alternator, 14VDC out of the rectifier, it only goes through the main fuse to get back to the battery for charging it. If it's not charging after all that, then there's a wiring problem. You need to do a point-to-point continuity check on the wires to find what's not connected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply, I’ll do point to point tests over the weekend and I’ll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, I hope all is well, I’ve done some more tests this afternoon. The stator is creating 46 ACV at 4K revs, and all pins show 1.4 ohms. The rectifier is showing 14.2 DCV at idle. When I plug all the connectors in the motorcycle still isn’t charging. The reg rec connector (loom side/black connector) has 3 wires 1 white wire which goes to the starter relay this wire is showing 0.09 ohms of resistance when tested from the connector to the relay and the same when measured to the battery from the connector or starter relay to battery.
The black wire on the reg rec connector also goes to the starter relay then on to earth. Both points show 0.09 ohms of resistance.
The 3rd wire is Black and Green and goes to the relay box located above the ECU. I’ve tested this wire and get a reading of 0.08 ohms.
I’ve also used a different battery to see if the new battery I bought was naff but still nothing.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I'm reading this as it is charging but but the battery is not holding the charge? What is the charging rate on the battery terminals?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, the issue is every part of the charging system is working and there is continuity throughout the system however there is no charge getting to the battery. The battery originally had 12.6 volts. With all the tests I’ve done 1 battery is now showing 11.6 volts. When the bike is runnin at idle the voltage is the same minus a little bit due to starting the bike and it doesn’t change when I rev the bike.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
You say continuity through the system, so a charging rate of rate around 14v+ is at the battery terminals when the bike is running? Or is the charging rate of 14v+ only to the main fuse (30a) as you recorded the charging rate 14v+ leaves the rectifier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The charging rate of 14+ volts at the rectifier and at the starter relay but not at the battery.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
The charging rate of 14+ volts at the rectifier and at the starter relay but not at the battery.
Well there is only 1 thing between the starter relay and the battery that is a positive lead, and there is only one thing between the battery and earth which is a earth cable. The bike starts by battery so you can count out the positive lead and relay, on starting the starter uses its body to ground so I would be inclined to think the earth from battery to ground is not upto it?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I expect you will find if you put the battery on charge in bike it will charge as charger supplies its own earth. I appreciate you checked and cleaned the earth point, but the strap itself could be done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for your help on this, I’ve tested the negative lead from the battery to the earth on top of the crankcase and this is showing very little resistance 0.08 to my recollection, do you think this could still be the issue? I have taken the lead completely off and cleaned both sides too.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,231 Posts
Sorry for not getting back on this until now.

As michael and I both said previously, there isn't much to check for the charging. If the rectifier is outputting 14vDC, then that's what you should be seeing at the battery terminals. Slightly lower than that if it's just idling. Beyond that, then there is nothing else other than the main fuse. If that was bad, you wouldn't have any power to the bike. The starter relay and the starter itself don't have anything to do with recharging it. That is all part of the "load" that the alternator/rectifier supplies power to. That goes through the main fuse since it's parallel in the circuit.

Try measuring the voltage at the battery leads to isolate the issue. Start it up and disconnect the battery to measure the voltage on the positive lead. If it's not above 13vDC, then the power is being dropped before it gets to the battery. If it's above that on the bare lead, then the problem is with the battery itself, the positive wire from the relay/main fuse going back to the battery, or the negative ground point cable that's completing the circuit. It's as simple as that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts