Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone :hello:

Even though you'd think this topic would be done to death, with all the information out there and contradictory results, it's a bit ambiguous what the answer is. The question is which litre bike that's reasonably priced - i.e. not euro crap like Ducati v4 - has the best engine performance, acceleration, top speed etc., both stock form, minor and major mods considered. And also considering the engine upgrades of the 2019 model.

The conclusion I can seem to find is that the zx10r is the fastest provided you give the engine the revs it needs, otherwise it will be bogged down at low RPM. Most sources seem to indicate that has the most bhp my a slight margin:

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/first-rides-tests/2017/april/superbike-shootout-results-in-mcn/
https://www.cycleworld.com/sport-rider/2017-japanese-literbike-comparison#page-18
https://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2017-superbike-street-shootout

But of course hp doesn't tell the whole story, and you have sites like this which seem to indicate the zx10r is the slowest in real-world performance: https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/group-tests/kawasaki-zx10r-bmw-s1000rr-yamaha-r1

But this seems to be very anecdotal and based more on rider skill; there are plenty of sources like aforementioned links or these videos where the zx10r is king in regards to 0-60 or role-on races. Tests like this don't seem to be very reliable due to human skill not being able to be controlled for perfectly.

So, looking for opinions, all things being equal, which bike is the fastest in a straight line?

·
Registered
83 Posts
A gen 5 zx10r, flashed, with bolt ons is the fastest in my opinion.

·
Registered
224 Posts
<3 the_bitch_ninja

its crazy how fast his bike is with 0 engine work... but that is a highly specialized bike, single rotor, no rear brake, strapped, dropped, and tuned specifically for highway racing... his quickshifter tuning is impressive as well, huge difference over even other zx10r's with similar mods.

·
Registered
379 Posts
A properly setup Gen 4 is lighter and faster than a gen 5.just not many correctly done ones out there and too many sucky riders that can't go fast without the electronics of a gen 5

·
Registered
224 Posts
A properly setup Gen 4 is lighter and faster than a gen 5.just not many correctly done ones out there and too many sucky riders that can't go fast without the electronics of a gen 5
faster where? around a track? i cant speak the that, but i seriously doubt it

not on the highway, been proven numerous times.. the fastest gen5 beats the fastest gen4s

·
Registered
379 Posts
Proven by who, a few clowns who can't ride without having to do more than just hold the throttle open on the highway and there are plenty of videos of Gen 4 beating Gen 5, my Gen 4 swb has been 8s and weighs 387 with fuel. I'd like to see a full bolt on Gen 5 do the same, and let's not forget gadsen ran 206mph on a gen 4, haven't seen a gen 5 do that either.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sounds like a gen4 owner being a wishful thinker here.

Here's some random dude doing 200+ on a stock motor with flash and bolt ons. Gen 5s produce more hp and are faster ecu flashed than gen 4s.

·
Registered
224 Posts
there are plenty of videos of Gen 4 beating Gen 5
so?
theres video of a honda beating a ferrari... so are all hondas faster than ferraris now? random ass videos dont prove anything, for all you know the guy being beaten doesnt even have his throttle twisted 100%

ignoring weight, since both bikes can be weight reduced similarly... in what way to you think the gen4 is superior to the gen5?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I'm 265lbs so nothing I ride is faster, but its fast enough for me.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm only a 19+year auto, motorcycle tuner tech and builder with my own performance shop but what do I know, come line up with me at the track with your Gen 5 and we'll see who crosses the line first. And I'm not talking about fake ass roll on racing with guys that could not make itup the road without a quick shifter and swing arm

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm only a 19+year auto, motorcycle tuner tech and builder with my own performance shop but what do I know, come line up with me at the track with your Gen 5 and we'll see who crosses the line first. And I'm not talking about fake ass roll on racing with guys that could not make itup the road without a quick shifter and swing arm
So what exactly makes the gen 4 better?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Funny, those fake ass racers are using the same shit pro racers are using, guess they fake ass clowns too. 🤔

Or...or... you are full of shit.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I take it your one of those racers, it's your generation that's destroying the sport for everyone, 95%of these highway jockeys have zero riding ability, zero ability to launch a bike from a stop and zero ability to hand clutch foot shift a bike to go fast. All they know how to do is buy the most expensive bike they can afford and hold the throttle while the bike does the work.. A shame if you ask me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I take it your one of those racers, it's your generation that's destroying the sport for everyone, 95%of these highway jockeys have zero riding ability, zero ability to launch a bike from a stop and zero ability to hand clutch foot shift a bike to go fast. All they know how to do is buy the most expensive bike they can afford and hold the throttle while the bike does the work.. A shame if you ask me.
You'd be incorrect. Never had a bike with a qs, or abs before my new leftover 2016 zx10r which doesn't have abs though it does have a qs. Far from a pro, I do practice launching from a stop with no electronics and i don't rely on squat to save me from an accident other than my own self.

I don't disagree skipping out on learning how to launch well, actually corner leaves new riders at a disadvantage. If anything, id agree. That said, i haven't seen a single iota of evidence to suggest Kawasaki made a slower bike in creating the gen 5. Perhaps there is less of them in the wild, and anecdotal evidence is simply slimmer.

I'd wager the evidence that is available says gen 5s with minimal mods produce more hp than their predecessor. But honestly who cares.. riding ability is more important than nearly anything else.

Your disdain for guys who want to run 9/10ths of a mile is something i don't understand. Maybe it isn't your cup of tea, but you can't knock a dude who with minimal mods runs 200+ in 9/10ths of a mile.

I'm having a shitty day, didn't mean to be a dick and call you full shit. Cheers man.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Also, i dont see anything wrong with utilizing a qs to it's fullest potential. Though knowing how to manual shift during a race should still be practiced.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I dislike it because I know the consequences from almost dying about twelve years ago. After that I promised God and my wife I'd never run the street again. I work on alot of roll race bikes for guys but they know it's not my thing, if others wanna do it that's fine but I hate when guys think they are the worlds best riders and all they do is hold the throttle, some are good riders but not the majority. Gen 4/5 are both great bikes but my personal experience and builds I'd choose the Gen 4

·
Registered
83 Posts
Fair enough

·
Registered
1 Posts
If my experience with “highway jockeys” is anything to go by, then they have much bigger problems than riding skills and talent. Like doing 120mph in a T-shirt...Darwinian type problems.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
:iamwithstupid:

A lot of people nut ride EJR but all he's doing is old drag racer tricks from years ago. He even blocked me on FB because I called him out on it. I guess he didn't like me telling his customers they can do his $500 air box mod with some scrap plastic and $15 plastic welder. :crackup:

I've went out with the roll race guys on a stock height/wheelbase Gen4 with a strap. When I asked if any of them on their lowered/stretched bikes wanted to do a dig, they said their bike wasn't set up for that. Clowns.

BTW,
My stock motor Gen 4 makes the same whp as the all the pipe/filter/flash Gen 5's.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts