Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody new to the forum but long time Kawi owner. I have that same noise that has been discussed time and time again, at around 3800 rpm and until 4500 rpm in every gear there is a metallic buzzing, sound. When I put my hand on my key and that black ring it completely goes away. I tried the rubber grommet on the key and that didn't work, I was thinking about buying a new ignition. I haven't seen anybody buying a new ignition online to fix this problem. Does anybody out there know if this will work?

Thanks!!

·
R.I.P. REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Hey everybody new to the forum but long time Kawi owner. I have that same noise that has been discussed time and time again, at around 3800 rpm and until 4500 rpm in every gear there is a metallic buzzing, sound. When I put my hand on my key and that black ring it completely goes away. I tried the rubber grommet on the key and that didn't work, I was thinking about buying a new ignition. I haven't seen anybody buying a new ignition online to fix this problem. Does anybody out there know if this will work?

Thanks!!

Very common issue. They all do it. There's no real fix for it and buying a new switch won't do anything.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roger, I am just curious, has anybody ever tried a new ignition assembly? This sound sounds like a really loose quarter rattling inside my ignition. I can't help but think there is a problem which can be fixed.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
The fix I have found on both my 08 and 09 is a nice set of ear buds and some good jams, as well as an M4 slip-on.

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Do a search on here for it. Many people have attempted a fix for it, but no one has pinpointed the issue or a viable solution.

Replacing your ignition switch is expensive and you'll need to have the seat lock and fuel cap re-keyed to work of the new key or you'll have to carry 2 keys all the time. Plus, it won't fix the issue.

Most people ignore it as its just annoying. Or they don't ride around below 5000rpm.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have the same issue. Irritates the hell out of me when I'm not listening to music.. but I'm always listening to music so problem solved.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I cant say I have ever noticed it, I must be one of the rare ones lol.
same here... never noticed that :dontknow: ... then again... I usually go by that rpm range quickly and cruise around 5-6k
Maybe some people imagine things because somebody said the noise is there? and if you want to hear that you probably do hear.... something... :dontknow:

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
same here... never noticed that :dontknow: ... then again... I usually go by that rpm range quickly and cruise around 5-6k

Maybe some people imagine things because somebody said the noise is there? and if you want to hear that you probably do hear.... something... :dontknow:

It's there. Happened on both my '06 and my '09. I got over it pretty darn quick and use headphones anyway. Plus, I'm very rarely below 8000rpm on the tach. :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
95 percent fixed

I took two zip ties and a piece of bike tube. Wrapped the zip tie around the bottom of the ignition than around the top part of the ignition with the writing on it. So it's essentially pinching that entire ignition unit together. The vibration is gone in every gear but a few places in 1st gear, very few. It is the ignition nuts, washers for sure. To get to them you have to remove that little plastic cup on the bottom. I need to figure out how to get that cup off. It is has a anti theft bolt on it I think. Either way I am calling Kawi on Monday, just to see what they'll say when I tell them every mechanics answer to this problem is, it's a kawi. I wouldn't won't my Company to have that kind of rep.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts