Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 ZX10R that will not rev past 8500 under WOT and the bike is running rich, It did this all of a sudden just like someone hit a light switch, I have checked sensors and even replaced a few such as crank position, Cam position, and IAP sensor. I also replaced Plugs with no change. I suspect the bike wont rev past 8500 because it is running too rich being as when you get to that RPM at WOT it throws flames and it does black smoke below that Rpm. What would all of a sudden cause the bike too run rich. The secondary butterflys are working the Exhaust valve is not stuck the air filter is brand new so are plugs, I am stumped

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I have a 2005 ZX10R that will not rev past 8500 under WOT and the bike is running rich, It did this all of a sudden just like someone hit a light switch, I have checked sensors and even replaced a few such as crank position, Cam position, and IAP sensor. I also replaced Plugs with no change. I suspect the bike wont rev past 8500 because it is running too rich being as when you get to that RPM at WOT it throws flames and it does black smoke below that Rpm. What would all of a sudden cause the bike too run rich. The secondary butterflys are working the Exhaust valve is not stuck the air filter is brand new so are plugs, I am stumped
Do you have a power commander? If so...unplug it from the harness...and see if it still runs like crap..sometimes they do go bad. Just to rule that out.

·
Registered
492 Posts
^^^ What he said. Sounds like your main injectors arnt kicking in.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,374 Posts
Well, the motor only needs 3 things to run - air, fire, and fuel. You've replaced the plugs and a bunch of sensors, but are not looking at the issue causing your problem, which is most likely fueling.

As stated, first check the Power Commander if you have one. The next thing would be to check the fuel pump for the proper output and pressure. Then move onto the injectors to be sure they are not clogged and spraying properly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not have a Power Commander, The fuel pump was replaced recently and the issue persisted, I do not believe that clogged injectors would cause a rich over fueling issue especially one that happened within seconds, Like I said it was like a light switch from one to the other, Clogged or clogging injectors would cause a lack of fuel in the engine, the bike is throwing black smoke and flames at higher rpms wich would mean overfueling

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do believe it is a fueling issuing but something more along the lines like a leaking vacuum line to the IAP sensor or cracked or leaking throttle body to engine boots causing The IAP to think its WOT throttle when its not, I ran a vacuum check on the system at idle and its only around 6 in HG which in a normal car would be low and would tell you vacuum leak intake side somewhere, Does anyone know what the Vacuum is supposed to be at idle?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,374 Posts
If the injector is sticking open, it could cause a rich condition. Are you smoking all the time, or just when it won't accelerate any further?

Vacuum should be 225mm +/-10mmHg.

EDIT: Posted Gen III vacuum numbers. Gen I is 225mmHg at idle

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would agree if the injector is sticking open it would cause problems but the bike runs fine up to 8500 and smokes when you accelerate, and when you get to 8500 blows flames. Everyone was talking clogged injectors which would be a lack of fuel, I doubt it is a sticking injector because at idle it doesn't smoke and the bike hits on all cylinders correctly up to 8500 and at idle, So it has to be something causing all the cylinders to run rich which is why I was implying vacuum leak somewhere, or something reading wrong causing the computer to think and run differently, and I do not have an FI light nor any codes.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
i know u dont want to hear this but my buds did the exact same thing when cylinder #4 went.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,374 Posts
At that rpm, the injectors are pulsing so fast, it could be an issue if they just can't keep up with what's being demanded. This would cause the motor to stumble, load up with raw fuel, and smoke and flame as the unburned gas hits the exhaust. It wouldn't necessarily need more than 1 or 2 cylinders to cause this issue. Same for the fuel pressure. To low and you get the same result.

You keep speculating on the cause yet have gone down the path of replacing sensors and plugs already. Don't assume anything. You need to systematically eliminate the possibilities here by CHECKING them all! Just because the fuel pump was replaced recently doesn't mean it's ok. You may have knocked a piece of rust off The inside that is now clogging the filter causing low pressure. Who knows. I would start there and see what is being send to the fuel rail. And while you're in there, you can check the vacuum as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will throw a ringer in too for ya guys, WHen you first start the bike cold it will allow you to run to redline for a few mins but thats it, I know it wasn't healthy to do that with the engine not being warmed up or anything but I did it just once for test purposes, so the first few of run time bike has not one problem. Then after the initial warm up it has the stated problems.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,374 Posts
I also have 43 psi fuel pressure, and a clean fuel filter.
Just noticed this. That's a good sign. I'd be looking at the injectors next. And vacuum. There's not much else without looking directly at the TBs. a leak down test would be good also to make sure the rings are solid. When was the last time the valves were checked? You may be floating a valve or two at that speed. Also check for cracked retainers or broken springs.

Again, needs to be checked systematically from the simple stuff to the big stuff.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well checked vacuum it is at 8.86 in hg which is 225mmhg, so no vacuum leaks. I understand the injectors pulse incredibly fast at that RPM and could still be a problem but the bike just here a bit ago cold ran fine for the first few mins which would imply i Probably don't have a down cylinder and probably not an injector even with one injector down when you were to take it to 8500 where the problem becomes real evident, you could still baby it past 8500 because of the other three cylinders running right, when it hits 8500 it stops thats it, like its extremely rich in all cylinders causing it to choke out, I have had cars and bikes choke out on one cylinder and you can push it to redline it would just run like crap, this bike just hits 8500 and stops and blows flames in the process, minus the flames it acts like redline when it hits 8500,

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
Got a spare set of throttle bodies?? If so swap them out...

I have an 06 every problem was with them, I know have 4 sets 2 good and 2 bad sets

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
8500rpm is the rpm in which these bikes with a shot fuel pump normally starve for fuel. You have the opposite, too much. I would still be looking at either the fp regulator or the pump.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts