Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am new here.

I just got a 2014 ZX10R. The bike feels very good, but there is something I am not sure about.

I have a CBR 600RR; when turning, it feels normal, but with the ZX10R, when turning into a side road, I feel like it will lose balance and the steering is quite heavy, making me feel uncomfortable. Although when leaning into a corner, it feels ok.

The bike is currently running on a 200/55 rear tyre. I checked online, and the stock tyre is 190/55. Could this be what is causing the weird handling? The previous owner did use the bike on track a couple of times.

I like the bike, and I don't want to be put off by the turning.

Many thanks,

·
Registered
905 Posts
It's standard practice with the 2011-2015 generation to shim the original shock by 6mm to extend the shock length and raiser the rear end which results in quicker handling and less understeer on corner exit. I think some run a taller 200/55/17 tire to try and achieve the same rear height increase while simultaneously increasing the contact patch size (even though a 200 is a little too wide for the rim). Maybe replace it with a 190/55/17 and check for a shimmed rear shock and re-evaluate from there. The 200/55/17 seems to be an uncommon modification so you may not get a lot of feedback from members about that.

Reactions: EmmanZX10R

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's standard practice with the 2011-2015 generation to shim the original shock by 6mm to extend the shock length and raiser the rear end which results in quicker handling and less understeer on corner exit. I think some run a taller 200/55/17 tire to try and achieve the same rear height increase while simultaneously increasing the contact patch size (even though a 200 is a little too wide for the rim). Maybe replace it with a 190/55/17 and check for a shimmed rear shock and re-evaluate from there. The 200/55/17 seems to be an uncommon modification so you may not get a lot of feedback from members about that.
Thanks. I will speak to a Kawasaki dealer on what you have just mentioned. I read somewhere that one has to change the geometry of the bike to accommodate such a tyre but not sure. I will update what I find out on Monday.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm running the 200/55 R17 myself.

However I have the wider carbon wheel for this reason.

Shock has also been shimmed.

My bike however turns in really quickly and there is a great amont of feedback front the front.

Have you checked your tyre pressures?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm running the 200/55 R17 myself.

However I have the wider carbon wheel for this reason.

Shock has also been shimmed.

My bike however turns in really quickly and there is a great amont of feedback front the front.

Have you checked your tyre pressures?
I haven't checked the tyre pressure. The bike was parked for 5 months unused I don't know if that's contributed to it. The it was parked that long was because the previous owner had a court case doing 120mph on a 50. Licence was suspended for 2 years hence the sale. Anyway the wheels are currently being powder coated, when that is complete will see.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I haven't checked the tyre pressure. The bike was parked for 5 months unused I don't know if that's contributed to it. The it was parked that long was because the previous owner had a court case doing 120mph on a 50. Licence was suspended for 2 years hence the sale. Anyway the wheels are currently being powder coated, when that is complete will see.
Have a look at the profile of the crown of the rear tire as well.

·
The Pace
7,294 Posts
Do nothing. I felt same thing with first '11 10r. Took me about 100 miles of twists to realize that the problem had something to do with me. I came off three cbr's, one r1 and one fz1: point being NO Kawa's. I sorted out that I simply was NOT used to the grip angle that Kawa uses on all their bikes since way back into the 70's. So...assuming you get the entire counter steering concept, as carefully taught by Keith Code in Twist Wrist II book, that all the old timers took years to sort out, you MUST relax on this bike, know the upcoming turns and flick bike with total relaxed upper body.

Then this baby will work for you. If you flick too hard, simply adjust slightly to make sure you stay on the road.

What was I doing? Due to the grip angle being different, I unconsciously tensed on the 10r because of years of using a DIFFERENT grip angle. One of those things where experience gets in the way, in my case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do nothing. I felt same thing with first '11 10r. Took me about 100 miles of twists to realize that the problem had something to do with me. I came off three cbr's, one r1 and one fz1: point being NO Kawa's. I sorted out that I simply was NOT used to the grip angle that Kawa uses on all their bikes since way back into the 70's. So...assuming you get the entire counter steering concept, as carefully taught by Keith Code in Twist Wrist II book, that all the old timers took years to sort out, you MUST relax on this bike, know the upcoming turns and flick bike with total relaxed upper body.

Then this baby will work for you. If you flick too hard, simply adjust slightly to make sure you stay on the road.

What was I doing? Due to the grip angle being different, I unconsciously tensed on the 10r because of years of using a DIFFERENT grip angle. One of those things where experience gets in the way, in my case.
Cool. This is my first-litre bike and a Kawa as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

Just an update.

I received the Ninja today with the wheels carbon coated. The handling is way better, and the bike loves to lean—a huge difference from before. The handling is superb now. I was informed the bearing was changed; maybe this wasn't good. I don't know, but it now feels perfect.

But the chaps in the garage said I need new tyres that the bike has been on track and the tyre on is not suitable for the street. There is plenty of thread, so not sure if I want to spend £300 now.

Many thanks, everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts