Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. So I bought an 8000 mile one owner 2005 last night and moted it today. I put injector cleaner in it and blasted around for about 100 miles or so. At slower speeds she’s started to splutter and sounds like she’s only running on three. I headed back home when this started and she never cut out at junctions. Sometimes at just the
Right throttle she would come onto full power but mostly stayed ‘blocked’ and on three. Any thoughts much appreciated ?️

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I would check the plugs and fuel pump both could cause the same issues.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,022 Posts
plugs, injectors, stick coils, one of those 3 start with plugs or stick coils. you can find em used on eBay for cheap (the stick coils)

·
Registered
127 Posts
>> Colacharlie <<

I agree with the above; plugs, injectors, stick coils, and fuel pump are all potential culprits.

I will add that I have an '04 that was cutting out only on 3rd gear roll-ons awhile ago... it felt like I'd lose a cylinder mid acceleration. Then a short while after she began having problems starting/idling, and would sputter loudly if I tried to apply any throttle. Turns out it was my fuel pump which is a very common Gen 1 failure... I've come to learn. I believe my feeling the loss of power on those high load roll-ons was the pump beginning to fail. Apparently, the OEM gas caps are poorly designed, and water quite commonly finds it's way through... particularly easily through the key hole. Said water corrodes & kills the pump, and quite often corrodes the tank, as well. I had to sandblast the pump's entire mounting cup, replace the tank, and replace the pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers people for your advice. I’m gonna do the plugs today as they’ve just come and keep my fingers crossed. If it doesn't work I’ll proceed as you have suggested ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts