Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at checking out a fairly cheap ZX10R over the next few days.

The owner says he recently have a crank speed sensor fitted and it hasn't been set up with the power commander.
He says below 4k revs the bike misfires but past that runs as it should up to redline.
He says it wasn't like this before he fitted the sensor. Could be plugs coil or over fuelling.

Thoughts? what am i really looking at here?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's that good a deal, just buy it (if it indeed runs good above 4,000 rpm), surely you will get it sorted
Pretty much my thoughts, Im looking at saving near to 1.5k on the bike and the engine only have 30k miles on it.
If it runs smoothly above 4,000rpm the issue should be a fairly cheap fix even if it goes to a mechanic i can't see it costing half the saving.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Set up with power commander?? Has the bike had mods?? Pipe filter etc?? The crank sensor has nothing to do with a PC, if its had mods without fueling changes it will run rough in places if its running rough low down then it sounds to me like the back pressure is now lower ie a full system or similar has been fitted without fuel changes, is this what is meant by power commander not set up??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Set up with power commander?? Has the bike had mods?? Pipe filter etc?? The crank sensor has nothing to do with a PC, if its had mods without fueling changes it will run rough in places if its running rough low down then it sounds to me like the back pressure is now lower ie a full system or similar has been fitted without fuel changes, is this what is meant by power commander not set up??
Thanks for your thoughts, im checking the bike out today and will be going armed to the teeth with questions for the seller. I'd bet my life he will claim ignorance and i won't get many useful answers but we shall see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update as i viewed the bike today

The bike runs perfectly as soon as you go above 4.5k RPM
Below 4.5k the bike pops and bangs and is quite boggy and underpowered

The owner says the bike was sat and then wouldn't start. The garage replaced the battery and crank speed sensor and the bike has been like this since.

The bike does have a quick shifter, aftermarket can and a power commander. The power commander has not been set up since the new can was fitted but ran fine with the can before this problem started

Yes the owner could take the bike back to the garage after lockdown but then the bike would be worth a lot more and currently I'm looking at getting the bike for at least 1k less than they value at.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
785 Posts
Check the plugs and stick coils. Sometimes that can cause an issue at lower rpm. Disconnect the power comander and try it out without it. Also disconnect the quick shifter since depending on which model and make can fuck with ignition or fueling. Go from there. But just the can and whatnot it should still run well down low. Last thing to check that is realativly easy is the timing, could be messed with enough or the chain could have slipped or some shit or just stretched enough that it is far enough off till the rpm gets up a bit. Let us know

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So... I bought the bike.

So what is this crank speed sensor because looking to buy one as the previous owner claims that is the faulty part but I cannot find it anywhere.
Anyone have a spare or a link for the Gen 1.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Done some more looking this morning for a crank speed sensor.
Could anyone confirm is it in fact a CAM shaft sensor or is that something different?

These also seem to be extinct for the gen 1 but there are plenty for the gen 2 which appear to be exactly the same connection ect.. would these work?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Crank speed sensor not surprisingly is down inside engine cover the cam shaft sensor is upto on right hand side of cylinder head, non of which make any sense to me as neither will cause the symptoms you are getting, if either loss connection with ECU, bike will continue to run as normal from memory of last position until ignition is turned off on restarting if either are not registering a position the bike will not start as it doesn't know where they are. And your bike is isn't registering a fi code?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Crank speed sensor not surprisingly is down inside engine cover the cam shaft sensor is upto on right hand side of cylinder head, non of which make any sense to me as neither will cause the symptoms you are getting, if either loss connection with ECU, bike will continue to run as normal from memory of last position until ignition is turned off on restarting if either are not registering a position the bike will not start as it doesn't know where they are. And your bike is isn't registering a fi code?
Unfortunately, I can't find much or any information on the crank speed sensor.

However, the cam sensor I know has some play in the fuelling. The issue that I am having partly a fueling issue at least as it is ''bubbly'' and backfiring below 4.5K RPM trying to burn the excess fuel perhaps.

The FI light isn't showing, I will be checking the dealer mode later today or tomorrow however i understand the dealer mode was what diagnosed it previously to replace the crank speed sensor.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sweet! Looks like you got a nice one! And don’t worry, eventually you’ll get the issue worked out. Did you remove the power commander yet? That’s the first thing I would try.

just the other day I was looking at the Dan Moto GP pipe like yours, it’s $83 now! I have one from a long time ago.
I see your front rotors are not stock either. If they are also from China, you might want to keep an eye on them.I don’t remember the stock rotors having slots in them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im looking at checking out a fairly cheap ZX10R over the next few days.

The owner says he recently have a crank speed sensor fitted and it hasn't been set up with the power commander.
He says below 4k revs the bike misfires but past that runs as it should up to redline.
He says it wasn't like this before he fitted the sensor. Could be plugs coil or over fuelling.

Thoughts? what am i really looking at here?
I would change the plugs first. see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
785 Posts
Did you disconnect the power comander yet. Those things cause more issues than they are worth unless you are running boost

1 - 20 of 23 Posts