Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, so I've got a 2008 ZX10r with 40000kms on the clock and not sure if i can adjust suspension. Recently had fork seals done when bike was purchased. Ride is very bumpy looks like headlights is moving up and down and feel every bump in the road. I was told softening suspension would help, not to sure on how to do this aside from top of forks?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,059 Posts
Well, you bought a sportbike. It's supposed to be stiffer than an cruiser so you will feel the bumps. Depending on how the road conditions are you will feel them. If the headlight is moving, then you need to tighten that up as there's something broken or loose in it. Suspension adjustments won't fix that.

The front and rear have preload, compression, and rebound adjustments. They should be set up for your riding weight and style within the adjustment range, which isn't much. You should try to set the sag first thing using the preload adjustments. How to do that is in the service manual and owners manual. There's no magic value for those as it will depend entirely on you! Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So i had a 2008 ZX6r, which was only 13kgs lighter than current bike and feel was very different.I think the compression is adjusted from the top and is not set correctly from buying bike as clicks were not even on either side?

Unfortunately i don't have owners manual as was bought secondhand but would like to try and set it back to original setup.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,059 Posts
So i had a 2008 ZX6r, which was only 13kgs lighter than current bike and feel was very different.I think the compression is adjusted from the top and is not set correctly from buying bike as clicks were not even on either side?

Unfortunately i don't have owners manual as was bought secondhand but would like to try and set it back to original setup.
Preload and rebound are set from the top. Compression is done from the bottom. If the clicks aren't there, whoever put new fork seals in may not have assembled it correctly. But that's not important and you shouldn't rely on the clicks anyway. You should be able to count the turns of each adjuster from full soft to full hard and then adjust based on the turns and set each side the same. Preload is easy to count the line markings shown. The rear is trickier as the lock nut needs to be loosened so you can adjust the spring preload collar.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
front preload 4 lines showing, front rebound damping 8 clicks out, front compression damping 10 clicks out, rear preload 25mm of thread showing, rear rebound damping 1.75 turns out, rear compression damping 2.5turns out.
If you find this more favourable but still a little harsh post back as i have minor corrections.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,059 Posts
Stock settings from the factory:
Front Rebound: 10th click out from the full clockwise position (0-13 click range)
Front Compression: 10th click out from the full clockwise position (0-13 click range)
Front Preload: 0.55in protrusion

Rear Rebound: 2 turns out from full clockwise position (0 -2.5 turn range)
Rear Compression HS: 2.75 turns out from full clockwise (0-5.5 turn range)
Rear Compression LS: 2.25 turns out from full clockwise (0-4.5 turn range)
Rear Preload: spring length 7.05in

1 - 6 of 6 Posts