Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

does anyone of you know, if it is even the slightest difference to the 09 compaired to the 08?
Ok, i know about the paint/ colour schemes. But pure mechanical or anything?
I really wonder how they will make the 2010 version. I just read Kawi will post pone the realease of the completely re-worked ZX10R until 2011. But, they'll surely re-rework something at this gen, don't you think?

Anyone of you, tried the latest R1 (2009)? PLEASE, be specific about the bike compaired to the ZX10R (08/09),... if writing anything. Please don't just B.S... that is, if you have no resonable facts to mention.

Also wonder, any real meaning in using a PC5er when just using, just a slip-on and the cat is still on?
I have a PC5 and the auto tune for loan. But i wonder if it isn't easier just going for a custom map and skipå the auto tune?
Or maybe, just return the PC5. I really don't know what it'll do (talking hp and torque) when the bike is just fitted with a slip-on?

Thanks and ride safe!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
There is a difference in the latest bikes but KHI aren't admitting to changing anything.
K-tech reckon there has been slight changes in the valving of the suspension and MSS reckon a remap of the ecu.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not believe it is correct to say this question is answered. I have received info, from Kawa scandinavia, they are identical. A Forum user claim different. So, what is correct fact, and what is not? I do admit, the spokes person from Kawa, was not a tech engineer. So, again... anyone with more info.
Very much thanks for all inputs though!!!!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
There is a difference in the latest bikes but KHI aren't admitting to changing anything.
K-tech reckon there has been slight changes in the valving of the suspension and MSS reckon a remap of the ecu.
K-Tech? Kawasaki Technician, I assume. No factory technician that would know this information is going to talk to the public about changes that for some reason is classified.:bs:\

I "reckon" that if the suspension was revalved and the ecu was remapped they would definately let everyone know.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 08-09 so I am really watching this thread. I have read all the mags and tried to get input from as many as possible. Still up in the air.

·
Registered
680 Posts
A British rag I just got said the 09 10R was much better than the 08. Kawasaki is known for making mid model tweaks and not reporting it. They also probably fixed the front wheel spacer problem so the front forks now work better as well.

Go to the R1 Forum and read the specific 09 R1 Mechanical help sub-forum. Ugleee! :spit:

I would imagine the mega amount of heat coming off the R1 will feel good come winter time.

Don't expect Yamaha to be able address the 477 pounds weight issue. I see no place for them to lower the weight as all the extra heft is in the engine, as in the counter balancer and thick cases to handle the long bang.

Strangely enough the stock exhaust is all titanium and quite light. The Yamaha cans I bought for mine were a lot heavier than the stock cans. The first thing I got pissed about on day 2 ownership. The difference was so dramatic I didn't bother to weigh. I held a stock can in one hand, the GYTR can in the other and I just didn't want to know because it was going to be a lot and my blood pressure was already going up faster than the 09 R1s temp gauge.

So I see no place Yamaha can cut any appreciable amount of heft from that bike.

One poster of good reputation on the R1 forum weighed his engine and it was over 200 pounds. That was just the engine.
That's a trip...I assumed you could drop 15-20 pounds off an R1 with an exhaust...

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
Updated large piston forks on the 09. Suppose to be a improvement. IDK. :thumbsup:
The 09 6r got the big piston fork, not the 10.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
this subject as been beat... the zx10r is not for the wimps. u want a bitch bike get the R1
u want an "all around" bike get the gsxr, you want power.. get the 10 its not a hard decision. if u dont like it wait a few years change ur mind. or hell push it off a cliff and get the insurance. my 08 is one of the best bikes ive been on and easily the quickest.

·
Registered
71 Posts
K-Tech? Kawasaki Technician, I assume. No factory technician that would know this information is going to talk to the public about changes that for some reason is classified.:bs:

I "reckon" that if the suspension was revalved and the ecu was remapped they would definately let everyone know.
K-tech are one ot the top suspension firms here in the UK.
They are the company that most of the BSB teams go to so they know what is inside as they are the guys breaking them down to to work on them.

Also the uk mags have tested the 08 back to back with the 09 and it is different.

KHI have changed something in the suspension/geometry but are admitting to nothing

·
Registered
680 Posts
They are the company that most of the BSB teams go to so they know what is inside as they are the guys breaking them down to to work on them.

Also the uk mags have tested the 08 back to back with the 09 and it is different.

KHI have changed something in the suspension/geometry but are admitting to nothing
K-tech also has Barack Obama's birth certificate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There's always one cunny funt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, i heard the Akra was lighter than Leo Vince also.
Well, my next question to all users or those of you who knows more about 09 R1.
As for these restrictions youhave in US, i don't think they are the same at EU models? Or ? It sounds weird, but i was told the US bikes have minimum 15 hp less than EU R1's?

Anyone?

A British rag I just got said the 09 10R was much better than the 08. Kawasaki is known for making mid model tweaks and not reporting it. They also probably fixed the front wheel spacer problem so the front forks now work better as well.

Go to the R1 Forum and read the specific 09 R1 Mechanical help sub-forum. Ugleee! :spit:

I would imagine the mega amount of heat coming off the R1 will feel good come winter time.

Don't expect Yamaha to be able address the 477 pounds weight issue. I see no place for them to lower the weight as all the extra heft is in the engine, as in the counter balancer and thick cases to handle the long bang.

Strangely enough the stock exhaust is all titanium and quite light. The Yamaha cans I bought for mine were a lot heavier than the stock cans. The first thing I got pissed about on day 2 ownership. The difference was so dramatic I didn't bother to weigh. I held a stock can in one hand, the GYTR can in the other and I just didn't want to know because it was going to be a lot and my blood pressure was already going up faster than the 09 R1s temp gauge.

So I see no place Yamaha can cut any appreciable amount of heft from that bike.

One poster of good reputation on the R1 forum weighed his engine and it was over 200 pounds. That was just the engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, forgive me missing out at one Q.
What shall i expect in forms of torque/ HP,.. if i use an aftermarket slip-on (still using cat) and a pipercross (or BMC or K&N) together with a custom tune and PC5 at a ZX10R?
Often i hear there are no obvious gains using a PC with "only" a slip-on and filter? Custom tuning is pretty expensive over here.
My ZX10R is stolen, it had GPR pipe and no PC5. It ran much better than my previous Z1000 which was fitted with Akra race system, open airbox, pipercross + 02 controller and PCIII (custom tuned). I also had it geared down, 3 tooth at the front (from 40 to 43). The ZX10R was better even though it was not tuned with PCIII or PC5. Weird!
At the moment, i am trying to figure, if i will buy another ZX10R or the new R1. have in mind, our R1's or not restricted in power as i was told US models are (15-20 hp).

·
Registered
843 Posts
Rumor has it the '08's were too fast so the State Regulators had to tone it down quite a bit....

·
Registered
1,688 Posts

Oh, OK. Thats what I get for assuming...:mrgreen:

Still not buying the idea that the suspension is different.

The part #'s for all the suspension internals are the same. Had the tech. at
the local shop look them up.

I would think if Kawi. made suspension changes for 09 we would have sure enough heard about it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts