Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a zx10r 2006 and its time for a oil and filter change + maybe a spark plug change. i know how to get to the spark plugs but from what i have seen in the past they can be quite hard to get out. So what tools will i need to get them out as i have tried before and i could not get my tool in the space. i did pay :( to get them changed last year and i have done about 1,000 miles and had a bit of water in my fuel in the winter plus always run,ed on shell v power so the question is should i need to change the spark plugs ?

and please show me how to change the spark plugs. from the part where i have taken off the air box and can see them. and what tools i need THANK YOU

·
Registered
264 Posts
Unless your having a running issue then you shouldn't need to change them after 1000 miles. It's not easy to get to the outside spark plugs on the head. It's a real pain. The spark plug coil on the top is the problem. Some guys have been able to remove it without issues and some tear the boot on the bottom. Good luck.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yeah, shouldn't have to replace after 1000, but.......

The prefect spark plug tool...... wait for it....... is
in the little tool bag that comes with the bike.
No problems getting at all 4.

Always use anti-seize on the threads, torque and use
dielectric grease on the porcelain/boots.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Download the service manual found on this site, it'll tell you how to get to them out, they can be a pain in the butt...I'm pretty sure there's a how to in the "how to" section here...pull the coil out, drop your spark plug puller in, drop your extension in, then hook up your socket wrench

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yeah, shouldn't have to replace after 1000, but.......

The prefect spark plug tool...... wait for it....... is
in the little tool bag that comes with the bike.
No problems getting at all 4.

Always use anti-seize on the threads, torque and use
dielectric grease on the porcelain/boots.
Yep. You can take apart the whole bike with the oem tool kit!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
07 zx10 NGK CR9EIX 3521 spark plug Gap size

07 zx10r
Replacement spark plugs: NGK CR9EIX 3521
Spark plug Gap size?

·
Registered
15 Posts
07 zx10 NGK CR9EIX 3521 spark plug Gap size

07 zx10 NGK CR9EIX 3521 spark plug Gap size 0.8-0.9 mm (0.032-0.035 in)
Found it, putting it up if anyone else was looking for the same....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just did it

Hey man, I just changed mine out (06 zx10r), get to the coils, this requires taking off the tank, airbox and then I loosed up the throttle bodies, to be able to do this you will have to remove the side fairings on both left and right, you will then see a small hole in the frame. You will need to utilize a torque socket to be able to get this out with a long extension that is a little skinner. From here I moved them out of the way just a little towards the rear end. I also removed the airbox tubes (the rubber ones that go into the airbox) this gave me a lot more room when working on 1 and 4 plugs.

I then started with plug one, just remove the coil, pull up you can get it around the frame it just takes a little, however it will work. Then take your spark plug socket (make sure they fit the new ones so you know they will work with the old ones) put the socket on an elbow, then put another elbow on the elbow. It should go socket, elbow, elbow then put an extension on. After this put the socket in the hole and push down a little, start to twist and you will feel it catch. From here put on your socket wrench and loosen up the spark plug. Do this for both 1 and 4, 2 and 3 are easy to get to. Make sure you put the coils in order so you remember where to put them back in to.

To put the new plugs in first make sure you have the proper lube on the threads, I utilized NGK plugs part number CR9EIA-9. They are Iridium plugs. After you put the proper lube on the threads take your spark plug socket, put the spark plug in the socket then utilize two elbows along with the extension again for 1 and 4, put them in and finger tighten with the extender tool, after it starts to tighten a little (this should take quite a few times do not cross thread it although this is very hard to do with spark plugs) then put on your socket wrench and tighten it down, do not over tighten just give it a twist.

It took me longer to reconnect the airbox then change out the spark plugs, I was afraid it was going to be a pain at first, however it was not hard at all, putting the airbox back on was. Reconnect the fuel tank and fire it up, it should obviously be running on all 4 cylinders, if it sounds strange or sounds like it does not have power it is probably not running on all 4 cylinders, this means taking everything off again, so take your time and do it correctly the first time, it is not as bad as people have said throughout the forums with the correct tools and a little patience.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Changing spark plugs on a 2nd gen is not that bad, actually pretty simple.
1st take right side mid fairing off
2nd take the engine mount off 4 bolts
3rd, unplug all the coils, mark 1st coil ( farthest one from you, all the way to the left of the bike)
4th pull the coils out, 1st and 4th cylinder require little bit of wiggling around
5 pull the plugs out using a spark plug tool that came with the bike
and do everything backwards to put it back together, be careful not to put a coil2 harness on coil 1 and vise versa, very easy to do.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Dang... you guys make it sound so hard.

Lossen up throttle bodies,

put the socket on an elbow,
then put another elbow on the elbow?

Remove engine mount bolts?

None of that is necessary.

Use plug tool that came with the bike and you
don't need to do any of that shenanigans.

Use "anti-seize compound" on the threads
and should also use "dielectric grease" on the
ceramic.

Torque to 115 in/lbs

·
Registered
73 Posts
I thought about removing the engine mounts, however I did not have to and I do not think it would have really given me an advantage, just move the throttle bodies out of the way a little bit and you have plenty of room.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I didn't take any mounts or plastics off. Here are a bunch of pictures I took when I did mine. If they aren't clear just holler and I'll try to help. Again, I removed no body work or anything to do this.

Basically:

1) Remove Tank
2) Remove Air Box
3) Remove Air ducts
4) Disconnect coil packs and pull out - If you pull them out toward the front of the bike there is enough clearance. I was able to get them with my fingers alone - no pliers required. Its tough but do-able. Re-installing these was hard for me too. Place a folded rag over the top of the pack to increase its surface area and push down hard on them until they seat back into place when reinstalling.
5) Remove plugs

Attachments

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
you only need to change your plugs every 10,000 miles. if that. i took mine out at 9000 and they looked perfect. spark plugs are not something you need to be worrying about as a regular maintenance item.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts