Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the upper/secondary injectors on an 08 zz10 needed when I switch to turbo? Or can I just get bigger primaries?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Are the upper/secondary injectors on an 08 zz10 needed when I switch to turbo? Or can I just get bigger primaries?
There's a few regular members that can give you exacting advice on Turbo builds, but i presume your having difficulty with the airbox not allowing for a top rail?

·
Registered
22 Posts
At high revs the secondary nozzles work more efficiently than the primary ones. Of course, if we are talking about high-performance motor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would my 08 run on an 07 or earlier ecu? I know it's very similar to the 07. Is there links anyone can post? Attempting to do research

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are using the stock ECU: must use all 8.
If you are using a stand-alone or previous generation ECU: bigger primaries only will work
Would my 08 run on an older ECU that u can just put big primaries in? Um assuming there are differences in the wiring harness and maybe some sensors are different

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's a few regular members that can give you exacting advice on Turbo builds, but i presume your having difficulty with the airbox not allowing for a top rail?
I am having difficulties with that. I'm getting the airbox custom made so i could have it made to accept the secondarues also but I'm trying to make it as simple as possible and cutting down on the amount of injectors helps

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I am having difficulties with that. I'm getting the airbox custom made so i could have it made to accept the secondaries also but I'm trying to make it as simple as possible and cutting down on the amount of injectors helps
Absolutely better to have a secondary rail as the fuel delivery is much more efficient at high RPM the stock g3 ecu requires that rail! You can have larger injectors in top rail as the g3 ones are relatively small.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am having difficulties with that. I'm getting the airbox custom made so i could have it made to accept the secondaries also but I'm trying to make it as simple as possible and cutting down on the amount of injectors helps
Absolutely better to have a secondary rail as the fuel delivery is much more efficient at high RPM the stock g3 ecu requires that rail! You can have larger injectors in top rail as the g3 ones are relatively small.
Nah I dont think I need to go bigger, I think the 8 injectors can flow enough fuel for 7psi from a little gt28 lol. I would go away from my current stock ecu if I could find an older stock ecu that only uses 4 injectors but I think I'll ultimately just get the top rail to fit.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Staged injection is superior from a performance standpoint, but it is a packaging nightmare in the modern ZX10R chassis when you are talking about turbo plenums. The gains are minor, but there are gains to be had.

An 06/07 ecu would run the gen 3 motor with zero issues, but you would likely need to use the 06/07 sensors/injectors/harness, or at least verify that the calibrations are the same. You'd still have to use the 2nd gen harness, though.

OEM 3rd gen primaries only would actually be enough fuel for 5-7 psi if you use a good pump and a 1:1 regulator.... but it will be close... may need a touch more base pressure. Anything more in the boost department will require larger injectors (ID725 are a good choice here, and are good for 15psi out of a disco potato with the supporting fuel system). At that point if you want good driveability you're going to need to have the ability to modify the stock ECU, or you'll have to run a stand-alone.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I'd stick to 8 injector set up, you can have stock lower injectors supply fuel at start up/idle/cruise......and have the upper injectors add extra fuel when boost comes in. You'll have no headaches trying to tune the bike with big injectors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Staged injection is superior from a performance standpoint, but it is a packaging nightmare in the modern ZX10R chassis when you are talking about turbo plenums. The gains are minor, but there are gains to be had.

An 06/07 ecu would run the gen 3 motor with zero issues, but you would likely need to use the 06/07 sensors/injectors/harness, or at least verify that the calibrations are the same. You'd still have to use the 2nd gen harness, though.

OEM 3rd gen primaries only would actually be enough fuel for 5-7 psi if you use a good pump and a 1:1 regulator.... but it will be close... may need a touch more base pressure. Anything more in the boost department will require larger injectors (ID725 are a good choice here, and are good for 15psi out of a disco potato with the supporting fuel system). At that point if you want good driveability you're going to need to have the ability to modify the stock ECU, or you'll have to run a stand-alone.
Awesome info so I'll get a pump and a regulator. I just gotta find a plenum and I'll be golden

1 - 12 of 12 Posts