Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok the stock 04/05 retainers are made frome cast aluminum right ? people say there junk !!!!! and the stock 06/07 retainers are titanium right ? can i use the 06/07 retainers in my 05 , any body know ?????????????????????????????????????

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
ok the stock 04/05 retainers are made frome cast aluminum right ? people say there junk !!!!! and the stock 06/07 retainers are titanium right ? can i use the 06/07 retainers in my 05 , any body know ?????????????????????????????????????
06/07's are NOT Titanium, they are sintered Aluminium and are upgraded from the 04/05 part#s. So buy the 2nd Gen retainers for your first Gen.

As for Titanium Retainers I called EVERYONE looking to find some and no one had any. APE asked me why I wanted TI since the stock ones were so good. Further when I talked to Richard Stanboli at Attack Performance he told me they were running the stock retainers in their Superbikes and they work fine.

I have never like Aluminium retainers myself, but there the only game I know of at this time.

I have read where people stated they bought TI retainers from Carpenter Racing but when I called them they said NO, they never sold any.

So, use the 2nd Gen retainers in your 1st Gen. There was an update on those. What exactly I don't know.

JJ

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ohhhh ok because i read a post that someone said that the 06 + used ti retainers , thanks for the info :eek:ccasion1

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
Back in the early 90's Kawasaki was selling Aluminium retainers in the ZX7 Race kits to replace the stock steel ones.

Problem with Aluminium is that very strong valve springs can pull the valve thru the softer aluminium causing catastrophic engine failure. This has happened a lot on early 2000 vintage Suzuki's especially the 600's under racing conditions. Ever heard of the Army of Darkness Race team. They lost more motors that way than one would ever beleive.

I bought Titanium retainers for my ZX7 Superbike engines from APE and they were LOVELY and light weight. I recently sold them to a man in the UK.

I know of no other options at this time. Might wait and see what comes in the new 08 model. Might be an upgrade there.

JJ

·
Registered
289 Posts
Back in the early 90's Kawasaki was selling Aluminium retainers in the ZX7 Race kits to replace the stock steel ones.

Problem with Aluminium is that very strong valve springs can pull the valve thru the softer aluminium causing catastrophic engine failure. This has happened a lot on early 2000 vintage Suzuki's especially the 600's under racing conditions. Ever heard of the Army of Darkness Race team. They lost more motors that way than one would ever beleive.

I bought Titanium retainers for my ZX7 Superbike engines from APE and they were LOVELY and light weight. I recently sold them to a man in the UK.

I know of no other options at this time. Might wait and see what comes in the new 08 model. Might be an upgrade there.

JJ
gotcha...makes sense now, thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
06/07's are NOT Titanium, they are sintered Aluminium and are upgraded from the 04/05 part#s. So buy the 2nd Gen retainers for your first Gen.

As for Titanium Retainers I called EVERYONE looking to find some and no one had any. APE asked me why I wanted TI since the stock ones were so good. Further when I talked to Richard Stanboli at Attack Performance he told me they were running the stock retainers in their Superbikes and they work fine.

I have never like Aluminium retainers myself, but there the only game I know of at this time.

I have read where people stated they bought TI retainers from Carpenter Racing but when I called them they said NO, they never sold any.

So, use the 2nd Gen retainers in your 1st Gen. There was an update on those. What exactly I don't know.

JJ

2004-2005 also use retainer made of sintered Aluminium however part number are different from 06-07 model.

Are the 2006-2007 retainer lighter? and/or really more solide?

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
2004-2005 also use retainer made of sintered Aluminium however part number are different from 06-07 model.

Are the 2006-2007 retainer lighter? and/or really more solide?
Good Question. Answer, I don't have a clue but you have intrigued me enough to go and order 1 of each for testing and weighing.

Stay Tuned.

JJ

·
Registered
116 Posts
Good Question. Answer, I don't have a clue but you have intrigued me enough to go and order 1 of each for testing and weighing.

Stay Tuned.

JJ
:thumbsup:
I will be waiting for your finding. If it's lighter & stronger I will probably order some since I am about to change the gasket and the cam anyway.

I know that sometime a Kawasaki part number can be different but the part may be the same or they change a part number but the part stay exactly the same and it's seem that there is no reason for the part number changes. I seen that on few occasions.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
As of right now the only issue Kawi seems to have with valve retainers are with the new 6R. We've done 2 motors so far. Valves dropoing is catostrophic and Kawi nows it. They have been pretty good with warrenty on engine R & R.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts

Stay Tuned.

JJ

you def gotta let me know the results of this one.... you know I'm all about weight!!! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
take a dump and don't paint the bodywork :lol:

BD
Beleive it or not, that is why NASA stopped painting the external fuel tank on the Space Shuttle. The first 7-8 flights they were painting it white, then suddenly someone realized how much all that paint weighed and how much extra cargo could be used in its place.

JJ

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
Hey all,

I went this morning and ordered one of each Gen1 / Gen2 retainers. We shall see. Also will be interesting to see what comes in the new 08.

JJ

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
i will weigh my ti retaners and stockers and let you all know mid week what the out come is

·
Registered
116 Posts
i will weigh my ti retaners and stockers and let you all know mid week what the out come is
Titanium is much stronger but is around 35% heavier than alluminium(maybe it's different in the case of sintered alum?) so I will be thinking if you really have titanium retainer they should be heavier than the stocker.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey all,

I went this morning and ordered one of each Gen1 / Gen2 retainers. We shall see. Also will be interesting to see what comes in the new 08.

JJ
I am also wondering for the 08. I will be happy when the parts diagram will be available so we shall see.

I will be waiting for your finding on the 04-05 vs 06-07 retainers

1 - 20 of 43 Posts