Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after i got back from a west coast trip (which was the best dam time i'v ever had on my bike) my zx10 sounds different when being operated for the first time of the day, it's like a "ticking" sound that the best that i can tell is coming from under the gas tank or by the airbox. I hate the way it sounds it just sounds "bad". however after i'm on it and have riden it for about 15 minutes or so, the "ticking" goes away-weird. the bike runs and performs AWESOME i love it so much. it's a 2005 with a powercommander III with custom map made on the dyno, muzzy slip on exhaust, and a K&N airfilter. i was going to take it to the local dealer but, for one i don 't really trust them, and two my warranty is over. if anybody has anyideas let me know. i'v changed the oil twice so i'v eliminated that. i also had a local shop do a valve adjustment and everything was still inspec. sorry this was so long

·
Registered
754 Posts
Not sure if I can help as I don't think I have the same sound as you. Kawi's ('specially ram-air Kawi's) are known to have quite a bit of intake noise coming through the snorkles. You sure it isn't this? How many miles on it? Are the valves due for a checking? Good luck.

·
Registered
451 Posts
It's your valve clearance.
untill it warms up to temp you will hear it
its the space between the top of valve and cam lobe between the two is a bucket and shim.

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
Or possibly a very small exhaust leak, check that the header bolts/nuts haven't vibrated a little loose and when it heats up and expands it seals the leak. I think I have one of those ticking sounds and it sounds like a slight exhaust leak.

Tread

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the valves where check and were all in clearance, i also went through and checked the exhaust bolts and gave them a little tightening. How do you check if it's your header bearing, or fuel pump???

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
onetoncj said:
How do you check if it's your header bearing, or fuel pump???
after the bike idles for 10min you grab ahold of the header pipes bare handed and count to 30 and if you feel any abnormal buzz or rattle you'll know its the bearings. :cool:

BD

·
Registered
463 Posts
Big Daddy said:
after the bike idles for 10min you grab ahold of the header pipes bare handed and count to 30 and if you feel any abnormal buzz or rattle you'll know its the bearings. :cool:

BD
Damn BD that is a classic.....:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :+1:

the only thing I heard was my damn hand sizzling and of course the smell was ungodly...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The 10R sounds like a POS under you, BUT when you pin it as BD said above she smooths out and hauls ass. One would think Kawasaki could quieten it down but even the totally redesigned 06 mill is the same.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
onetoncj said:
after my last ride tonight and having two other people hear my bike(while it's cold) i'v changed my mind i hate this bike, i'm pissed
This is my first Kawasaki and I love all the mechanical sounds it makes..

there are a couple of harleys in the neighborhood and everyone hates them, but I came down the street on the Kawi and a couple of people complimented me on how nice my bike sounded " it sounds like a real machine, not like those harleys with all the exhaust noise"

My suzuki is pretty quite and when I was on my Blackbird at a red light i had to lean over and put my head close to the engine to even hear a slight noise.

I keep reading of all the noise questions, but to me its music to my ears, specially when you crank it open and the intake starts honkin on !!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I have a ticking noise all the damn time. Makes me think something is wrong, but mile after mile (or 1/4 mile after 1/4 mile) she keeps running strong without a problem. Tell the naysayers that if they don't like the sound, then they have to catch you to complain about it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts