Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am building a 04 ZX10 for a customer it should be done in a few weeks, I will post some updates as I get this back together, I am putting up a picture of what I taken out of the oil stainer it was hidden in there so next time you remove the oil pan take your strainer off and clean it, I put a quarter next to the aluminum chips to give you an idea on the chip sizes.
CLICK THE PICTURE.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just the rough casting from the cases that came loose
from the factory.
The bike still ran great, we just want to pick it up a bit :wink:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yeah, I had that crap in my oil from my 954. That is why oil changes when breaking the bike in should be frequent. That crap will eventually break up and meld with the gearing and eventually cause engine performance loss.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Should we do this after our first oil change to insure none of that crap messes anything up ? I just did my first oil and filter change @ ~800 miles, but if I would have read this before I believe I would have wanted to check for these shavings also. If I do this on my next oil change, how difficult is it to drop the oil pan and take out the strainer off ?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I always change oil at 100 miles 250, 500, 1200, 1800 THEN FULL SYNTHETIC
pull off exhaust then oil pan and pull of the strainer, take brake cleaner and spray to dilute the oil then
use a compressor to blow the garbage out.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I was going to say, you could always pull the exhaust off anf remove the pan and clean the sump strainer out to get rid of the debris.

It is pretty normal, they can not get rid of all of it when putting the engine together, just gotta hope the filter and strainer catch it all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts