Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
\Has anyone ever had any problem with the front brakes of your zx10. Because my o6 zx10 has been giving problems with the front brake , they have been saggy and even with the max of adjustment there is no power there.The master cylinder was already changed and the lines bleed and yet the problems remains. so please if anyone as a "cure" tell me so

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Has anyone ever had any problem with the front brakes of your zx10. Because my o6 zx10 has been giving problems with the front brake , they have been saggy and even with the max of adjustment there is no power there.The master cylinder was already changed and the lines bleed and yet the problems remains. so please if anyone as a "cure" tell me so
Plenty of posts on hear for break problems,check the search engine.
Most of us have replaced the frt calipers with the 07 Zx6r or Zx14 calipers.

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49847&highlight=brake+issue

·
Registered
724 Posts
Has anyone ever had any problem with the front brakes of your zx10. Because my o6 zx10 has been giving problems with the front brake , they have been saggy and even with the max of adjustment there is no power there.The master cylinder was already changed and the lines bleed and yet the problems remains. so please if anyone as a "cure" tell me so
Yes the front brakes suck unless they're bled REAL well. I just recently bled them real well (the master before and after) and it's actually decent (still not completely solid yet). I'm gonna put on braided lines and see if that helps..the other options are 07 zx6r or zx14r Nissin calipers or Brembo's.

·
Registered
105 Posts
06BLK10R did you a big favor

Go to page 2 of the link that 06BLK10R provided.

I have an '06. I was trying to fix the "saggy" feel. I did the braided lines and the Brembo upgrade. There was increased firmness but the "saggy" feel was still there. I put on 2007 ZX6R calibers (same as ZX14) and wow what a difference. No more "saggy".

I do not know if just replacing the caliper would have fixed it without the other two mods. All I know is my bike stops like my friends Ducati with Brembos now and I am happy.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Go to page 2 of the link that 06BLK10R provided.

I have an '06. I was trying to fix the "saggy" feel. I did the braided lines and the Brembo upgrade. There was increased firmness but the "saggy" feel was still there. I put on 2007 ZX6R calibers (same as ZX14) and wow what a difference. No more "saggy".

I do not know if just replacing the caliper would have fixed it without the other two mods. All I know is my bike stops like my friends Ducati with Brembos now and I am happy.
Since your MC is already a radial, you could have probably gotten away with the caliper and line change. :dontknow:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Secret to bleeding brakes on 06 10R

So I raced my 10R last season and my front brakes were not that great. I bled them and re-bled
them and they never seemed to get much better. Then at the end of the season I decided to
clean up front the brake pistons. So I take the calipers off like I usually do when I take the
front wheel off. I put card board in between the pads and pump up the brakes I clean the
pistons with water and alcohol and a Q-tip. I then push the pistons almost all the way in.
I remount the calipers and pump them up. And viola, the brake lever is way stiff. And at the
next race and practice the brakes were working great. Just a touch and they slowed me down.

I am using the stock calipers and master cylinder

Now over winter I decided to rebuild my front brake calipers. I usually do this at most once
a year. So after I put them all back together with new seals and such I mount them on the
bike and perform a standard bleed. I get to the point where the fluid coming out of the bleed
hose is clear (without bubbles) at the calipers and at the master cylinder. And still the
brakes are spongy and the lever comes almost all the way back to the handlebar. Hmmm. Then I
remember my experience from last year when I actually got the brakes to work well. So I
dismount the calipers pump them up with cardboard wedged in between the pads. Then push the
pistons back into the calipers. I do this a few times on each caliper. I then mount calipers
back on. I bleed the system. A sizeable amount of bubbles come out of each caliper. After
bleeding each caliper and the master cylinder. The brakes are now great. The lever is very
firm just like it was last year. So here is what I recommend when bleeding your front brakes
on the 06-07 10R's.

1. First do a normal bleed. (if you are not sure how check out instructions on line or in the
repair manual).
2. Then dismount a caliper one at a time.
3. Put card board or a thin wood shim in the pads so the calipers have something to press
against then pump the front brake lever.
4. Push the pistons back into the calipers. You can push on the pads but be carefull not to
gouge the pads. Do this a few times to each piston.
5. Remount caliper and repeat steps 2 - 4 above with the other caliper.
6. Re-bleed the front brake system.
7. Your brake lever should now be quite firm.

Note: When pushing the pistons back into the calipers you may want to remove the lid of the
brake fluid reservoir and remove some fluid before you start. As pushing the pistons into the
caliper will force fluid back into the reservoir.

Note: Wrapping a rag or two around the brake reservoir is a good idea to catch any spilled
brake fluid

Note: Do not over tighten the bleed nipples.

Note: Always put the bleed nipple covers on when finished.

Note: Clean up seeping brake fluid from bleed nipples.

Final Note: I am wondering if maybe the design of the calipers is such that there are
crevices that hold air and hence prevent the brakes from getting nice and firm. A standard
bleed should take care of getting rid of air bubbles but it doesn't seem to on this system.

search for that title it is the method i used and it works great.... i rode a friends bike without it done and almost got hit by a car because it wouldnt stop

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
Yeah I got the Brembo 19x20s and FrenTubo brake lines...As I have said to others, this bike is not rideable without those two basic swaps...Have not have a reason to get the calipers yet...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yeah I got the Brembo 19x20s and FrenTubo brake lines...As I have said to others, this bike is not rideable without those two basic swaps...Have not have a reason to get the calipers yet...
Get them and you'll find out why, I'm running the oem m/c with goodridge hose and ZX14 calipers and I now have full confidence in the brakes. I've got a Brembo m/c I could fit, but there's no need at the moment so I've left it on my other bike.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Not rideable is kinda a bold statement there. I just bled the crap out of my front and it's actually decent. They're actually hard now and have good pressure and feel. Shit I had no rear brake at all until I bled the crap out of that as well.

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
Get them and you'll find out why, I'm running the oem m/c with goodridge hose and ZX14 calipers and I now have full confidence in the brakes. I've got a Brembo m/c I could fit, but there's no need at the moment so I've left it on my other bike.
Thanks that is good to know...I am thinking about it..That is the only drawback having to spend more but getting what I have done so far was worth every penny.

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
Not rideable is kinda a bold statement there. I just bled the crap out of my front and it's actually decent. They're actually hard now and have good pressure and feel. Shit I had no rear brake at all until I bled the crap out of that as well.
Bold but true...At decent speeds where a car just stops and decides to U-Turn, there is no time to wish you had real brakes...Without the rembos and brake lines this bike would be gone by now. But it is good now and will consider getting the ZX-14 brakes. Don't get me wrong I love this bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts