Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
o okay cool. i just got my first bike and it is a 2000 with a 9 motor on it which has been bored to a 950 it had some problems and currently is getting a new sleeve head due to the bore not being done correctly and blew head gasket which really sucked. but they say this is going to be a very stong bike once fixed right. have you had any problems with your swap?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I did the swap myself and ran it for about a year maybe a little longer. I didn't do any motor work.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I did the swap myself and ran it for about a year maybe a little longer. I didn't do any motor work.
No motor work meant no problems because motor was mostly stock with minor tweaks (jet kit, exhaust, ETC).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey sos, o okay cool. i just bought the bike already setup like that and come to find out it blew a head gasket because someone had bored it too 950 with a stock head on it and the sleeves are way too close so it is in the shop now getting a head made for the bore so it can have proper gaps between the sleeve. did you ever drag your bike?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,561 Posts
I'm the same way as 'sos'. I did the swap myself in '01 and still have the bike. No performance motor work done so it's still going strong. I did have to replace some of the tranny parts, however.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm the same way as 'sos'. I did the swap myself in '01 and still have the bike. No performance motor work done so it's still going strong. I did have to replace some of the tranny parts, however.
hey sky, that is good to hear. i am hoping once this head is made for this thing it won't blow anymore head gaskets. i am new too bikes and learning a lot as i go. the head gasket was really unexpected, but what can you do. i didn't know the thing was bored to 9.5 until we took it apart. so do you like the 10 or the 7? is the 7 just as quick with having the 9 on the 7 frame?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
hey sky, that is good to hear. i am hoping once this head is made for this thing it won't blow anymore head gaskets. i am new too bikes and learning a lot as i go. the head gasket was really unexpected, but what can you do. i didn't know the thing was bored to 9.5 until we took it apart. so do you like the 10 or the 7? is the 7 just as quick with having the 9 on the 7 frame?

OK, I know you directed this to sky, and you did say you were new to bikes. But, just to give you a lil info on

is the 7 just as quick with having the 9 on the 7 frame?

My friend, you really don't know about the 10r. Your bike is going to run strong, in fact very strong. I still have my 98' 7r, but know this.......The 10r is on another level. And that's my:2cents:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I know you directed this to sky, and you did say you were new to bikes. But, just to give you a lil info on

My friend, you really don't know about the 10r. Your bike is going to run strong, in fact very strong. I still have my 98' 7r, but know this.......The 10r is on another level. And that's my:2cents:
its all good man. i appreciate that. yes i am new to bikes. i mean i have been around the drag track all my life, however i have never gotten into the facts and had one of my own. i will have too keep an eye out for the 10r @ the track. sounds like that 10r is the bomb.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,561 Posts
Yeah, the ZX-9 is definetaly the way the ZX-7 should have come from the factory, but it's no where near what the ZX-10 is. It's a fun bike in it's own right, and I still enjoy riding it very much. It's just not the -10R.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, the ZX-9 is definetaly the way the ZX-7 should have come from the factory, but it's no where near what the ZX-10 is. It's a fun bike in it's own right, and I still enjoy riding it very much. It's just not the -10R.
sounds like you got the best of both worlds. i will get there one day. i gotta crawl before i walk though. (you know how it goes) do you have pics floating on the net of your bikes? how long have you had your bikes?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,561 Posts
Here's an old pic of them together. This was right after I got the -10R. I picked that up in Feb '06, and I've had the ZX-7R since late 1999. I did the conversion on the ZX-7R in 2001

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's an old pic of them together. This was right after I got the -10R. I picked that up in Feb '06, and I've had the ZX-7R since late 1999. I did the conversion on the ZX-7R in 2001

man nice bikes, looks like you got the best of both worlds. which do you enjoy riding more? have you done any mods on them. they both look awesome. i like the newer bikes, i love the old double headlight look though. it must be nice you living in FL with all that nice weather to ride.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts