Same here-950 motor, just trying to get
it jetted correctly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same here-950 motor, just trying to get
it jetted correctly.
hey pan that is cool. did you bore yourself or purchased like that? whoever bored mine didn't do it correct and blew a head gasket which i heard they are famous for if not bored correctly because the sleeves are too close. i am having a head machined for it now, which should correct the gasket problem. i am new too bikes and learning as i go. man it is a lot.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Machine shop bored/honed cylinders.
Make sure your new shop has both
the cylinders/pistons!
Head gasket? Not sure how that's related to
machining cylinders. Make sure your
valve/piston clearances are set by a
competent engine builder! Honing is critical
to compression and ultimately the HP your
new motor will make.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Machine shop bored/honed cylinders.
Make sure your new shop has both
the cylinders/pistons!
Head gasket? Not sure how that's related to
machining cylinders. Make sure your
valve/piston clearances are set by a
competent engine builder! Honing is critical
to compression and ultimately the HP your
new motor will make.
yeah originally the head gasket was blown, the tech said they are famous for this once bored the sleeves get to close and don't have the proper space in between. he also said the proper way to bore these things are not with the oe sleeves. when going to 9.5 (again i am learning all this as i go) i know what you mean about the spacing he also mention that and it wasn't done properly the first time, i was lucky though no damage to valves which is good the new shop does have both. it is nice to know yours worked out now i feel better about keeping my bike. (you prob. could imagine how i feel finding all this out 3 weeks after buying the bike)

·
Registered
750 Posts
If you have it set-up properly by a good engine builder, you'll not regret it.
I had a Muzzy 998 kit put into an 02 ZX9, was that a hoot!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have it set-up properly by a good engine builder, you'll not regret it.
I had a Muzzy 998 kit put into an 02 ZX9, was that a hoot!
man sounds like you been around bikes for a long time. how many have you had? i feel real good about the guy working on the bike. he owned a big shop were i live. he has another now and races personally on the us circuit. i haven't seen him race, but everyone says he is the best @ kawas. do you still have the 02 zx9? sounds like that thing is a beast. i am now stuck on what color to spray this bike. i run a body shop and there are just too many colors to choose from. what color is your zx-7?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts