Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for what its worth i wanted to share some info i got from work. I work at a dealership in the midwest and the boss just got back from the Kawasaki convention or whatever show they put up for the dealers before they put in their orders. He said the Kawasaki guys told him they were aiming for 200 hp at the wheels with the Zx-14 and they reached that goal. Now i dont have anything to back up this claim seeing how it was 2nd hand info. But i just wanted to share what i heard. He brought back Kawasaki's press release for the 06 models . It doesnt give any HP ratings but states what features each bike has. I looked thru it the 10 is fucken ugly but it did get several changes. Those exhaust cans are simply hideous!! The 14 looks like a cross between a RF900/ZX10 and Busa.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
DethsZX10 said:
The 14 looks like a cross between a RF900/ZX10 and Busa.
So does it look like a good looking mutt or the hideous alley mutts? :spit: Just asking but I'm going to check it out for myself Dec.17th in San Jose, CA :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I'm really interested in the direction the zx-14 is going to take things. sounds like a fun bike but will it be as hard to work on as the zx-12??
it does have the same profile from the side as the busa...Kawasaki realized that the busa would pull the same if not more top speed with less power then what the 12 made. aerodynamics were where the advantage played out.

I'd buy 200 at the crank but not at the rear wheel....not in a production bike. :headshake

·
Registered
212 Posts
A friend of mine just went to the Kawi dealer show and with all the prying in the world he couldn't get any numbers because nobody there knew themselves. Someone is being creative.. Maybe 200 at the crank but I still doubt that.

·
Registered
792 Posts
The 10 makes 180 or so at the crank, and 155 at the wheel. 200 at the crank for a 1350 isn't out of the question, but at the wheel?

Can a 35% displacement increase alone account for a 29% bhp bump? It's not out of the question, but there is obviously more at play than displacement. Can a production vehicle do those numbers and maintain reliability and emissions standards, etc.,...?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm concerned about the weight. Let's say it really does make 200 hp at the rear wheel. It would then need to weigh less than 480 lbs dry for it to have a better power-to-weight ratio than the ZX-10. How likely is that? I've really become spoiled by the lightness of today's literbikes. I don't want to have to push some pig around in the garage.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Cryptoman said:
I'm concerned about the weight. Let's say it really does make 200 hp at the rear wheel. It would then need to weigh less than 480 lbs dry for it to have a better power-to-weight ratio than the ZX-10. How likely is that? I've really become spoiled by the lightness of today's literbikes. I don't want to have to push some pig around in the garage.

wellyour right and wrong... if the bike makes a boatload of torque down low it may be able to overcome that slight power to weight disadvantage.

·
Registered
945 Posts
i think it will have its place, in certain circles, but it will be a "pig" i think it will be about the same in weight to whatever a busa is but have more hp. Its definitely not the bike for me....and are we all looking at the same bike?? cause the one im seeing is the ugliest thing ive evr seen

·
Banned
1,052 Posts
Cryptoman said:

I think it's aimed at a slightly different crowd than a liter bike is. It's more of a hyper-sport touring, or extended swingarm street racer type crowd.

Just my guess.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My guess would be 200 at the crank. And ill bet it still weighs over 500 lbs. It looks like a tank. but a fast one im sure. Great for the street but I wouldnt want to try and hustle that around a track. I wonder if kawi is gonna restrict the speed to 186 if so I dont see the point in building it. But hey props to kawi it makes a interesting conversation piece and will piss off the Busa owners.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
thompstud said:
350 extra cc and all we get is 15 hp? :jerkit:

Try again kawi

yea but I bet the torque is over 100 ft. lbs now.. :wink:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
busaforhire said:
yea but I bet the torque is over 100 ft. lbs now.. :wink:

....and allot lighter. At least way more than the busa if it's using the same material as the 10, the lightest 1000cc bike so far :wink:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
bluedevil said:
....and allot lighter. At least way more than the busa if it's using the same material as the 10, the lightest 1000cc bike so far :wink:

yea the zx-12 has almost always made more horsepower but it feel short in the torque dept. now if they have addressed the aero issues AND added more power..the sky is the limit..
Of course the 2006 Busa hasn't been uncovered yet so who knows..?? :dontknow: this zx-14 may be a mute point already. :mrgreen:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
busaforhire said:
yea the zx-12 has almost always made more horsepower but it feel short in the torque dept. now if they have addressed the aero issues AND added more power..the sky is the limit..
Of course the 2006 Busa hasn't been uncovered yet so who knows..?? :dontknow: this zx-14 may be a mute point already. :mrgreen:
Wouldn't Suzuki have already anounced a new Busa? :dontknow: I mean it's almost Oct. now and I haven't heard any new anouncements. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
bluedevil said:
Wouldn't Suzuki have already anounced a new Busa? :dontknow: I mean it's almost Oct. now and I haven't heard any new anouncements. :dontknow:

8 days.....the new models will be unveiled at the dealer show.
Rumor has it that the only thing new for 06 for the busa is paint but I can't figure out why they wouldn't of released it with the others then? :dontknow:
If Suzuki does to the busa what Kawasaki has done to the zx12 then we might have some good things to talk about around the water cooler. :cool:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
busaforhire said:
8 days.....the new models will be unveiled at the dealer show.
Rumor has it that the only thing new for 06 for the busa is paint but I can't figure out why they wouldn't of released it with the others then? :dontknow:
If Suzuki does to the busa what Kawasaki has done to the zx12 then we might have some good things to talk about around the water cooler. :cool:
I knew you would have more info on that than I do :thumbsup: I will be going to the dealer show in Dec. but just never heard of an unvailing at the dealer shows this late because most bikes are anounced to get people to check out the new bikes coming, so it seems from past experiance :dontknow: , but like you said we should know in 8 days. Thanks for the info BFH :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts