Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Different type of bike... different class all together. Besides.. the ZX10R will not touch a ZX12R or Hayabusa in 6th gear.... no aero's.

The ZX10R is a Superbike class machine made for doing everything well.

The ZX12R and Hayabusa are Hyperbike class machines made for high velocity racing.

Like it or not... there are only 2 bikes that still have plenty of juice in them after 180mph.... and the ZX10R isn't one of them. The 10 is quick up to 4th gear and great in the twisties... but on open highways... it doesn't cut the mustard in 6th.

My bone stock untouched motor ZX12R with just a pipe, gearing, and remap went 199mph on GPS in roughly 1.25 miles. My buddy's identically modified ZX12R.... went 199mph on GPS as well. Hell, with a little more fine tuning they both could have gone 200mph on untouched motors.

Can you say the same for the ZX10R or any liter bike for that matter?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Phantom12 said:
Different type of bike... different class all together. Besides.. the ZX10R will not touch a ZX12R or Hayabusa in 6th gear.... no aero's.

The ZX12R and Hayabusa are Hyperbike class machines made for high velocity racing.

Like it or not... there are only 2 bikes that still have plenty of juice in them after 180mph.... and the ZX10R isn't one of them. The 10 is quick up to 4th gear and great in the twisties... but on open highways... it doesn't cut the mustard in 6th.

My bone stock untouched motor ZX12R with just a pipe, gearing, and remap went 199mph on GPS in roughly 1.25 miles. My buddy's identically modified ZX12R.... went 199mph on GPS as well. Hell, with a little more fine tuning they both could have gone 200mph on untouched motors.

I think Phantom that most of us know the Aero advantage of the "hyperbike advantage" but even you got to be impressed with the drag strip #s(which you shyed away from) for a bike that is 300cc less. Yeah, I know 10 weighs 100lbs less but that's not it's fault but the HP #s just jumps at you. I mean a bike that has 300cc's more but dyno's the same in some test as the 10 with longer wheel base. I would be pissed If I owned a 1300cc bike and a 10 dyno's the same. Let's be real, most don't get to go those speeds especially if you live in a big city. I would have to say for real world the 10 is hands down the baddest production bike along with the new K5 for what they do in the real world. :wink:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Phantom12 said:

stock right off the floor the 12r aint faster as for top speed who cares after 180mph.the 10r wont touch the 12r in 6th gear but it will in 1-5. :thefinger the zx12 tops out at 185mph and the 10r tops out at 186mph.if i had a 12r or a busa id be pissed to. :crackup: :eek:ccasion1

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bluedevil- I'm not only impressed, I'm blown away at the drag strip performance of the ZX10R along with all the new 1000's. It's amazing how far we've gone in the last 5 years in the sportbike world! Much respect for the 1000's..... in mortal hands there is little to no difference in drag strip performance from the Busa/ZX12R to the new 1000's.

eric- Off the showroom floor the ZX12R is not only electronically limited to 186mph (which it can surpass with a cheap $80 Bonneville Box that will allow it to pull 190+mph in stock trim)... but it's also geared super tall (196mph on the limiter) which kills acceleration through the gears.

The ZX10R is NOT electronically limited....it's gear limited to 186mph... but few if any ZX10R's can actually hit the limiter in stock trim. (the only one I've heard of was Motorcyclist which admitted to having a good tailwind and nice cold dense air!)

Every other magazine has tested it doing 177-182mph on average.. which is more realistic. Did I mention that the BIG magazines like motorcyclist and sportrider get "factory prepared" bikes? Yeah, massaged bikes that always run faster and stronger than SHOWROOM models.

If you want to compare apples to apples... gear the ZX10R -2 in the rear or the ZX12R +2 .... then you'll have similar gearing to make the comparison. That's why the ZX10R is just as quick (if not a little quicker) through the first few gears stock vs stock.... but once the big bikes have the room to stretch their legs and catch their breath.... the 1000's get reeled in every time in 5th and 6th.

I race the 9/10th's and it's a funny thing.... if an 1000 and ZX12R/Hayabusa cross the finishline at the same time... the Hayabusa/ZX12R will be going around 5mph faster than the 1000. If a ZX10R is running 188mph through the traps, an equally modifed Busa/12 will run 192-193mph and even up at the end ... which shows that in anything OVER a mile.... you're either on a Busa/12 or behind one.

Not trying to bash the 1000's.... but understand this is what these hyperbikes were made to do.... and they do it well.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
ive seen 189 on my 10r in stock form and yes i did hit the limiter but was i going 189 no. i dont know how much speedo is off. you are right about high speed runs there is nothing like a busa or a zx12r. i was thinking of buying a busa and dragrace with it but everyone has one thats why i went with the ten to be a little differant. if i get beat by a zx12 or a busa oh well but if i beat them then you got some more enjoyment of what you did and so far im whooping there ass. :hello:

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't know the speedo read beyond 186mph on the ZX10R....

As for hitting the limiter in 6th gear on a stock 10R, that may be true...but realize that there is significant wheelspin at those speeds, especially with ultra light bikes like the 10R.

Just because you hit the limiter... it doesn't mean you're doing the theoretical speed at that RPM. That's also not to mention that significant tire wear reduces the circum. of the rear tire, hence shortening the gearing making the limiter hit a few mph lower.

That's why God invented the GPS. =)

But it's good to know that you're pushing the bike to the limit.... have fun!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Phantom12 said:
Bluedevil- I'm not only impressed, I'm blown away at the drag strip performance of the ZX10R along with all the new 1000's. It's amazing how far we've gone in the last 5 years in the sportbike world! Much respect for the 1000's..... in mortal hands there is little to no difference in drag strip performance from the Busa/ZX12R to the new 1000's.

eric- Off the showroom floor the ZX12R is not only electronically limited to 186mph (which it can surpass with a cheap $80 Bonneville Box that will allow it to pull 190+mph in stock trim)... but it's also geared super tall (196mph on the limiter) which kills acceleration through the gears.

The ZX10R is NOT electronically limited....it's gear limited to 186mph... but few if any ZX10R's can actually hit the limiter in stock trim. (the only one I've heard of was Motorcyclist which admitted to having a good tailwind and nice cold dense air!)

Every other magazine has tested it doing 177-182mph on average.. which is more realistic. Did I mention that the BIG magazines like motorcyclist and sportrider get "factory prepared" bikes? Yeah, massaged bikes that always run faster and stronger than SHOWROOM models.

If you want to compare apples to apples... gear the ZX10R -2 in the rear or the ZX12R +2 .... then you'll have similar gearing to make the comparison. That's why the ZX10R is just as quick (if not a little quicker) through the first few gears stock vs stock.... but once the big bikes have the room to stretch their legs and catch their breath.... the 1000's get reeled in every time in 5th and 6th.

I race the 9/10th's and it's a funny thing.... if an 1000 and ZX12R/Hayabusa cross the finishline at the same time... the Hayabusa/ZX12R will be going around 5mph faster than the 1000. If a ZX10R is running 188mph through the traps, an equally modifed Busa/12 will run 192-193mph and even up at the end ... which shows that in anything OVER a mile.... you're either on a Busa/12 or behind one.

Not trying to bash the 1000's.... but understand this is what these hyperbikes were made to do.... and they do it well.

your wrong on the gearing of the zx10 it will pull nearly 200 (like the busa) if it could pull to redline. It can't so thats why it ends up where it does..
peakpower on the zx comes at about 12,100 and the limiter is at 12,750 (actual) 13,500 or so indicated.

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you insane or just uninformed?

LMFAO!!!

The ZX10R will pull to 200mph like the Busa? NOT EVEN THE BUSA HAS 200MPH WORTH OF GEARING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Busa's and 12's hit the rev limiter at 196mph with stock gearing and a fresh tire. The ZX10R's hit it at 186mph at the rev limiter with a fresh tire...just like the K5 GSXR1000.

There's been a few ZX10R's that run at the local top speed races.... with stock gearing and a pipe they hit the rev limiter in 6th.... with the GPS reading 186mph every single time.

200mph worth of gearing my ass...... get a clue kid.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Phantom12 said:
Are you insane or just uninformed?

LMFAO!!!

The ZX10R will pull to 200mph like the Busa? NOT EVEN THE BUSA HAS 200MPH WORTH OF GEARING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Busa's and 12's hit the rev limiter at 196mph with stock gearing and a fresh tire. The ZX10R's hit it at 186mph at the rev limiter with a fresh tire...just like the K5 GSXR1000.

There's been a few ZX10R's that run at the local top speed races.... with stock gearing and a pipe they hit the rev limiter in 6th.... with the GPS reading 186mph every single time.

200mph worth of gearing my ass...... get a clue kid.

I'll let busa defend what he said already but I'm sure he is referring to the gearing calculator which does show the 10 close to 200mph in a perfect world, and he also said that the 10 won't pull to the limiter in top gear(which I can't confirm). I actually think it's not a matter of reaching the limiter but the Aero's such as the busa's have. I have seen a few tests on the Aero's of busa’s (wind tunnel tests) and they are the best out there period that have HP, even better than the ZX12. The 10 just does not have as good of Aero's for extremely high speed.

One more thing, the ZX10R does get to 186 most of the time on Mag reviews. I don't know which one's your reading but I bet $50 I can find more Mag tests than you can, that show the 10,s top speed is faster than the 05 K5 and others for mass production 1000's and that includes both years for the 10. Ready to Bet????? :wink:

Sorry I said one more thing, but I forgot to tell you. GPS is not the best test against a High performance Radar system. There is lag time that can be missed for a poor bikes GPS system unless your in the military and getting ready to launch a missile attack. You see the US made GPS and controls everything including accuracy, and that's why it's free to the public so they can take it away when they wan't, Just FYI

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only magazine that I know of that showed the 10R hitting 186mph was Motorcyclist back in 04. It was done in very cold weather with a tiny 140 pound rider with a FACTORY prepped bike (not a showroom machine).

Here's a test done in 04 by FASTBIKES mag....

http://www.angelfire.com/linux/ldrpg/page0015.jpg

178.5mph vs the 12's 184mph

Done on the same day at the same place with the same rider.

Ok... now it's your turn. =)

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Phantom12 said:
The only magazine that I know of that showed the 10R hitting 186mph was Motorcyclist back in 04. It was done in very cold weather with a tiny 140 pound rider with a FACTORY prepped bike (not a showroom machine).

Here's a test done in 04 by FASTBIKES mag....

http://www.angelfire.com/linux/ldrpg/page0015.jpg

178.5mph vs the 12's 184mph

Done on the same day at the same place with the same rider.

Ok... now it's your turn. =)

I need to organize my mags, but just what I found real quick is:

SportRider June 2004 ZX10R-186mph page 48
Sportbike special edition "War of the Worlds" 185mph

I'm sure there's more, just gota get the mags organized :badteeth:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Cycle World June 2005

ZX10R 185mph
Suzuki GSX-R1000 05 184mph

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
the 1000's performance strong suit is power to weight performance. The big bores have the cc's, hence the torque, to break through the wind resistence at 180mph plus, to record mph numbers that production 1000's will not see.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
beenthere said:
the 1000's performance strong suit is power to weight performance. The big bores have the cc's, hence the torque, to break through the wind resistence at 180mph plus, to record mph numbers that production 1000's will not see.
not stock right out off the floor they wont.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
A zx10r is aero and displacement handicapped, when compared to an open classer. It does have a weight advantage. A 200hp 10, will have less terminal speed than a 200hp busa. Aeros and displacement will prevail. The 200hp 10, would embaress the busa through the gears...if you had a rider that could keep it on the boil.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Sorry to but in, but I personally have been on my ten at 175 with throttle and rpm left. No road! My friends ride busas and I can hang with them till about 175 and they start to pull away. I am 200 with gear and they are about 160 with gear. Anything they have, I can stay with them but there ain't no catching a busa after 170+!!My bike is totally stock except the seat cowl.There's are modified with no motor but lots of add ons.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts