Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my SN might imply, I love turbos. I have an 11-second AWD turbo Talon, a twin-turbo Camaro IROC-Z, I'm building (and also having built) a turbo V6 Fiero, and I even have an '85 Kawasaki 750 Turbo project bike. However...

All of you who turbo your ZX-10R's are flippin' insane! How on Earth do you justify such madness!? These things are fast as hell STOCK! :thumbsup:
In all reality, how useful is a turbo on a street ZX-10R? I've seen some videos and it seems that they're either spinning the tire or about to flip over, or both. I can understand the 'need' on a dedicated drag bike or top-speed bike, though. Either way, there isn't much cooler than the power/weight ratio factor, that's for sure!

Honestly, this new '08 of mine is the FIRST vehicle I've ever owned that I don't want to turbo! I know the earlier gens aren't as fast stock as the gen III's, but they aren't much slower from what I understand. I don't believe I've ever accelerated so fast in my life before this, I truly think the Earth's rotation slowed down a bit when I opened it up for the first time. I've been trying to find the hidden turbo Kawasaki installed that hits full-boost at 8000rpm but to no avail, so maybe it really isn't there? :dontknow:

Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts on the matter, and hear some real world experiences (I love those stories). Oh, and if you have a Turbo 10R, post up some good pics and/or videos here! :eek:ccasion1
Ride safely!

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
i agree there is enough power, but if your drag racing the 10r all the time then eventually you will become accustomed to the stock speed/power, and like men do feel the need to fuck with it = turbo

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
i agree there is enough power, but if your drag racing the 10r all the time then eventually you will become accustomed to the stock speed/power, and like men do feel the need to fuck with it = turbo
:headshakeonly if you extend the bike...it's not some fat busa with a long Wheel base it's a light weight Rabbit with a short wheel base as most 600cc bikes but with stock power close to the bigger bikes. I would never install a turbo on a 10R unless it's extended but know some have :badteeth::dontknow:

·
Registered
226 Posts
ok, first things first; i kinda do agree that they are insane... but as for why go turbo? you know the answer to that already. it is the bleeding eyeball factor. the sheer fear involved with the power. i have a 7.8 sec 1000 street bike that is a blast to ride, and am now building a kit for my sec gen 10. this is going to be a lsr bike that may still see the street sometimes. for me it is just in the challenge of turning the stock monster into a real nasty machine. it is all about pushing it. i am sure you get it too. but to each their own. enjoy what you have. ride safe

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
ok, first things first; i kinda do agree that they are insane... but as for why go turbo? you know the answer to that already. it is the bleeding eyeball factor. the sheer fear involved with the power. i have a 7.8 sec 1000 street bike that is a blast to ride, and am now building a kit for my sec gen 10. this is going to be a lsr bike that may still see the street sometimes. for me it is just in the challenge of turning the stock monster into a real nasty machine. it is all about pushing it. i am sure you get it too. but to each their own. enjoy what you have. ride safe

And you keep it stock wheel base right? :wink:

·
T Double D
870 Posts
i have a turbo 03 cobra 811hp and a 00 super duty compound turbo 513hp 1123tq so i know your pain im in the process myself of getting a hairdryer on my 08 zx10

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
:headshakeonly if you extend the bike...it's not some fat busa with a long Wheel base it's a light weight Rabbit with a short wheel base as most 600cc bikes but with stock power close to the bigger bikes. I would never install a turbo on a 10R unless it's extended but know some have :badteeth::dontknow:
that is what i meant when i said "feel the need to fuck with it" (it) being the whole bike to include turbo and whatever else,

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I have no expertise in the turbo area, but the 04-07 10R's have a wheelbase shorter than "most" 600's as well, shorter than the Honda and Suzuki I believe. I found it odd that when putting my bike into the back of a 2005 Chevy 2500HD shortbox, that the tailgate closed with a finger gap to spare, while my buddy's 2008 6R we had to put in at an angle to get the tailgate up. In otherwords, the 6R, with a smaller diameter tire on the rear, is longer from front to back.:badteeth:

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
You can never be too thin, too rich, too horny or have too much power on your ZX-10R...
or too old :badteeth: j/k man, but you set yourself up on that one haha

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I have no expertise in the turbo area, but the 04-07 10R's have a wheelbase shorter than "most" 600's as well, shorter than the Honda and Suzuki I believe. I found it odd that when putting my bike into the back of a 2005 Chevy 2500HD shortbox, that the tailgate closed with a finger gap to spare, while my buddy's 2008 6R we had to put in at an angle to get the tailgate up. In otherwords, the 6R, with a smaller diameter tire on the rear, is longer from front to back.:badteeth:

and that my friend is why it has taken me so long on the drag strip to go fast....to control all that power with my ass and no regular visits. :badteeth:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome. I do get it, it's just dizzying to think about!
So we have:

1) The more we go fast the slower it feels (don't you hate that?)
2) Bleeding eyeballs. What can be cooler than bleeding eyeballs? :badteeth:
3) The challenge. The easy way out is for weenies and squids!
3) We need to screw around with things. If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!
4) Too much power? WTH is that? (I do tend to agree, really)
5) We're men, and men are stupid. 'nuf said.

Okay, thanks for the heads up. Now where are all those pics and videos? :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts