Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks

So i use my gen4 lately just on my local track which is pretty small and can be considered a "go-kart track"

the bike is currently geared @ 17/47, pretty good for the track but i wish there was abit more low end torque

would 17/49 damage the bike in any way ? Most liter bikes use first, second and third gear only on this track since its quite small with lots of tight corners

so ye my main question here is actually if too big of a sprocket setup could hurt the bike (don't care about chain wear and sprocket since i change those out often)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vortex makes 15T for oem 525 chain. Try 15/47, it may help use 1st gear less.
sounds interesting

is there a difference actually by changing front vs rear ? i know that -1 front equals around +3 in the rear but i also heard that going down front gives better lowend torque while upping rear gives better mid/high torque. not sure if it's true

·
Registered
718 Posts
sounds interesting

is there a difference actually by changing front vs rear ? i know that -1 front equals around +3 in the rear but i also heard that going down front gives better lowend torque while upping rear gives better mid/high torque. not sure if it's true
Anytime you can take weight off the driveline youre better off. Going down a size in the front would be better. Going up in the rear adds size and weight...

·
Registered
415 Posts
i also heard that going down front gives better lowend torque while upping rear gives better mid/high torque. not sure if it's true
I'm not aware of such theory.
In practice "final drive ratio" (R divided by F) is what affects torque, rpms, speed.
Sprocket changes affect a bit handling of the bike too (wheelbase and swingarm squat).

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I'm not aware of such theory.
In practice "final drive ratio" (R divided by F) is what affects torque, rpms, speed.
Sprocket changes affect a bit handling of the bike too (wheelbase and swingarm squat).
I was totally not going to go there, but I am amused you did :wink2:

Anyone that has to post up questions on a forum about final drive gearing already has no understanding of acceleration rate vs elapsed time nor the mathematics that derive hp and torque let alone gyroscopic precession or the swingarm downslope augmentation by changing the angle from the CS to the Rear Sprocket. For a fleeting moment I almost posted up an addendum (no pun intended) to my original post, but thought better of it. I'm only posting this now because I am imbibing Bombay Sapphire and the whole thing made me giggle a bit. Obviously alcohol killed the weakest brain cells I had and made me smarter for a few minutes.

Now here is a pic of my cat El Bandito

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
sounds interesting

It's a gear ratio, not magic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts