Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some issues shifting my 09 zx-10 r.... I come off of the throttle and try to up shift with no success... I really have to be forceful to get the gear to change most of the time. Any adjustments I can make to help this out? Maybe a change in oil?
Really killed me today bouncing off the rev limiter in 2nd more then once

When I use the clutch its much easier... Maybe its just me but my cbr's and gsxr's all shifted soooo much smoother.. Maybe just he bike?

·
Registered
320 Posts
i know the 08s had a problem with a bad shift shaft that whould make it really hard to shift from second to third and what not. maybe that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope not :-/ ... It does seam to be dominate in the 2nd to 3rd though... Any other ways to diagnose it?

·
Registered
567 Posts
i have noticed an issue on downsifting from 3 to 2...but i change thelever comp with the 2010model and its better...p/n 13161-0073

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I'm having some issues shifting my 09 zx-10 r.... I come off of the throttle and try to up shift with no success... I really have to be forceful to get the gear to change most of the time. Any adjustments I can make to help this out? Maybe a change in oil?

When I use the clutch its much easier... Maybe its just me but my cbr's and gsxr's all shifted soooo much smoother.. Maybe just he bike?
My 08 shifts like a hot knife running through butter at almost 12000 miles. How many miles on your bike?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,867 Posts

Ummmm....so let me get this straight. This problem only happens when you're trying to CLUTCHLESS shift? That would be handy to know. Likely you've damaged tranny parts trying to force it into gear without the clutch. That's why it's hard to shift when not using the clutch. Start shifting with the clutch!

·
Registered
427 Posts
What is the deal with the bad shift shaft on the gen 3's? I have never heard of this. Is there a new part number for a replacement shaft? Thanks. Mike.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,867 Posts
Definitely get the the new beefier upgraded shift shaft. Your problems will go away. Around $100 in parts. Pretty easy to replace.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
He has an '09! He already has the new design shaft. That isn't the issue!!!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,867 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ummmm....so let me get this straight. This problem only happens when you're trying to CLUTCHLESS shift? That would be handy to know. Likely you've damaged tranny parts trying to force it into gear without the clutch. That's why it's hard to shift when not using the clutch. Start shifting with the clutch!
Are you being serious?

Definitely get the the new beefier upgraded shift shaft. Your problems will go away. Around $100 in parts. Pretty easy to replace.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Where is a good pace to get the parts? ANy good tutorials on removal of the clutch bla bla bla?

You know before i got this bike I asked around and everyone was like kawis are sooo dependable you will love the bike... I have hardly ridden the bike and done nothing but fix faults on a basically new bike. This green color seems to be garbage to me. Whats the next thing I Need to replace to make it work correctly.

My 08 shifts like a hot knife running through butter at almost 12000 miles. How many miles on your bike?

2400 miles

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,867 Posts
Yes, I'm being serious. The shift shaft issue only affected the '08 models.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I'm being serious. The shift shaft issue only affected the '08 models.
You think transmission damage would result when up shifting on a bike and not using the clutch? Not trying to be a dick here but the zx-10r must be completely different from all other bikes then...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And by different I mean my zx-10R must be the only one that doesn't have have a constant mesh sequential transmission; like all the others... That would be strange.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,867 Posts
You think transmission damage would result when up shifting on a bike and not using the clutch? Not trying to be a dick here but the zx-10r must be completely different from all other bikes then...
Yes, it can damage the tranny if done incorrectly. The fact that you've stated that you've "forced" it into gear has likely caused the problem to get worse. Clutch less shifting wont hurt the tranny if done properly, but most definitely hurt the tranny if not.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, it can damage the tranny if done incorrectly. The fact that you've stated that you've "forced" it into gear has likely caused the problem to get worse. Clutch less shifting wont hurt the tranny if done properly, but most definitely hurt the tranny if not.

Well if I would have said it went in like butter then we wouldn't have a problem to begin with would we?
In order to get the correct shift you have to be more direct and forceful with the shift then on any other bike I have ever owned. To me this indicated a problem. Im not slamming it with a 15lb sledge hammer. :dontknow: ...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts