Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wow. All I can say is one word...Overpriced.

2 clean 2008 ZX-10R's in black both went for $6k. Now they had a fair amount of surface scratches, normal mileage(3-5k). Now you have to add a 10% auction fee on to these bikes. Making them effectively $6600. As far as my contact goes, since I'm not a dealer personally, I would have the paperwork done through my friends shop which I would add another 10% on to that. So $7200 or so for a bike that I can't even test ride, that isn't necessarily the cleanest around =(

1 crashed blue 2008 with a broken and bent subframe at the rear seat, rear seat wouln't snap in, bent front wheel, missing side cover, no slip-on(missing) Ground down bar ends, ground side cover, and some other issues. $5300 +10% fees. I was freaking out! I wouldn't have paid more than $3500 for it. 2/3 of all the bikes went to internet bidders, which may explain why some bikes seemed to go for more than they were worth considering the damage. Little things like cracks in the plastic, scrapes low on the bike, broken upper fairing stays...didn't seem to affect the price as much as you would think.

Gobs of 2007 zx-6R's went for $4200, which seemed to be the magic number for a reasonably clean one. 2005-2006 ZX-6R's went for $2800-$3200 depending on condition.

Most of the clean '07 R1's went for $5800 or so.
A clean 2009 ZX-14 monster energy edition with 800 miles went for $7200

Most 2008 GSXR 600's and 2008 R6's went for $5300-5700
Bargains were to be had on 2006 GSXR 600's, 750's, and 1000's. All those usually went for around $4200. Guess that has to do with the bad reputation regarding the frame recall.

A very clean 2007 Repsol CBR 1000 went for $6300 I think, and a comletely roached out, 2005 CBR 1000 with cracks, scrapes, and mismatched primered paint job with duct tape holing the tailsection together went for 3K.

Anyway, I used to feel jealous when people would tell me about how they got a bike so cheap at auction. Honestly, it's not all it's cracked up to be. I witnessed about half the bikes get sold (300 or so) then had to leave. There was a '98 CBR Smokin' Joes edition F3 that went for $1100, but it had a 6 inch dent in the tank, faded plastics, and electrical tape holding the rear tailsection in place, and had been dropped on one side. I didn't feel like I missed out on that one either.

Keep in mind you can start them up, and look them over...but cannot drive them, or put them into gear. So, you're risking it a bit.

I've got plenty more stories from today...but for those without access to a dealer auction...don't worry. Just as good of deals can be had on craigslist for the most part. And when you factor in that you get to truly try before you buy on private party transactions...I'm never going to be jealous over those at auctions again.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
those auctions can be tricky, ive only been to a few but i learned fast that you need to know whats going on and how to spot a good deal

·
Registered
860 Posts
I had a subscription to one of those sites before I got my 10. Most bikes went for a reasonable amount but by the time you payed the auction and dealer fees plus the possibillity of shipping it really wasn't worth it. I also checked out some local auctions through my buddy who's a dealer and tried getting a couple each time somebody else wanted these bikes a little more than I did and payed to much imo. All the while I have money burning in my pocket I just happened upon the bike I got now. It apparently was meant to be and I couldn't be happier with the bike and the deal I got.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
yeah, my friend did tell me that impound lots were the place to go. More looking around, but worth it if you find the right bike. I had these visions of going to the auction and buying several bikes a month and flipping them for $1k each. I was so wrong =( I have no doubt the actual dealers are able to do that, but with me having to register the bike first, then sell it for a lower, private party amt, it'd be hard to make more than $200-$300 per unit. Not worth it when considering the risk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts