Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

301 - 320 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought my 10r in April form a stranger. It had 4500 miles on it and looked and ran perfectly.
He had a leo vince slipon and a pc5 installed at like 2000 miles.
I put about 4k on it without issue. Now when I roll off the throttle completely, the rpms go straight to 0. Other than that it's perfect.
What do you think? Idle is 1000rpm. Should I have dynojet tune it, tune it myself or start by adjusting the idle speed?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought my 10r in April form a stranger. It had 4500 miles on it and looked and ran perfectly.
He had a leo vince slipon and a pc5 installed at like 2000 miles.
I put about 4k on it without issue. Now when I roll off the throttle completely, the rpms go straight to 0. Other than that it's perfect.
What do you think? Idle is 1000rpm. Should I have dynojet tune it, tune it myself or start by adjusting the idle speed?
yea i would start there try adjusting your idle rpm's there should be little wheel on the left side of the bike somewhere in a lower fairing looks kinda like manuel boost controler on the car try adjusting it there my friend had a same problem with his bike after he did aftermarket filter and pipe and that fixed it...

·
Registered
58 Posts
im new here.. plannin to get the new zx10r nxt year.. just wanna snoop around for infos.... dos and donts... thanx..

-arki-

·
Registered
144 Posts
A few questions.

Does the box limit the sound of a slip on and will there be any increase in power with out a power commander?

Does the stock damper not limit the shakes?

3rd Gen brake lever travels also before applying pressure to the pads. Is that a signal to replace fluid?

What does the exhaust cable do And when it's removed does it effect the bike?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
144 Posts
Does a full exhaust really matter. Also, does a slip w/o a PCIII or PCV contribute any gain in HP?

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Does a full exhaust really matter. Also, does a slip w/o a PCIII or PCV contribute any gain in HP?
Yes, a full exhaust with a tune will gain you a few ponies.
Don't look for any drastic numbers.

A Slip on w/ no PCIII or such will see a couple of ponies at best.

The stock damper are SHIT, have it revalved from Dan Kyle and you will be happy.

Next, check your front brake pads to see if they are worn down and adjust the travel on the brake lever to your comfort.

The exhaust cables. Once removed will blow your bike up.....

Naaaa, just kidding. :mrgreen:

It will be louder is all. Nothing else

Hope that answers all your questions.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes, a full exhaust with a tune will gain you a few ponies.
Don't look for any drastic numbers.

A Slip on w/ no PCIII or such will see a couple of ponies at best.

The stock damper are SHIT, have it revalved from Dan Kyle and you will be happy.

Next, check your front brake pads to see if they are worn down and adjust the travel on the brake lever to your comfort.

The exhaust cables. Once removed will blow your bike up.....

Naaaa, just kidding. :mrgreen:

It will be louder is all. Nothing else

Hope that answers all your questions.
Sweet!!!! Yeah, bro you answered em flawlessly. Actually, it my rear break is where the foot pedal travels. I went from a Yami R6 to The Kawi ZX10R don't know if I was just spoiled with the R6. Also, my fluid looks a little bit low. I was wondering if it's cool to mix diff brands of fluid. It would be just my luck I'd mix'em and my tires or something would melt.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Sweet!!!! Yeah, bro you answered em flawlessly. Actually, it my rear break is where the foot pedal travels. I went from a Yami R6 to The Kawi ZX10R don't know if I was just spoiled with the R6. Also, my fluid looks a little bit low. I was wondering if it's cool to mix diff brands of fluid. It would be just my luck I'd mix'em and my tires or something would melt.

Ok, just pull you rear brake pads and check them, they probably are worn out.

But make sure you push the pistons back into the caliper.
When you do, the brake fluid will push back into the reservior.
You may want to take the time to change your brake fluid.

Make sure to use a DOT 4 brake fluid.
Do NOT mix fluids. :headshake

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ok, just pull you rear brake pads and check them, they probably are worn out.

But make sure you push the pistons back into the caliper.
When you do, the brake fluid will push back into the reservior.
You may want to take the time to change your brake fluid.

Make sure to use a DOT 4 brake fluid.
Do NOT mix fluids. :headshake
See what I mean, one stupid question - about mixing brake fluids - just saved me a world trouble. I just looked at the pad surfaces, and they are each about 55 pages of a book thick. I'll change them because, I'm sure they have never been changed since (2008). I just bought the bike this month, and I have no clue what maintenance has/has not been done. So, during the winter I'm going to check, clean, repair, and replace as much "simple stuff" as possible. I hope there is a winter maintenance check-off list here that someone has already made. I'll probably get the fluid changed professionally. I've read some awfull horror stories of newbies changing their own brake fluid. I'm to see it done right before I attempt to do it. Although, if I find a youtube video that completely shows you how, start to finish I may try it.

Thanks again Bro, you should write a book!!!!!

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
See what I mean, one stupid question - about mixing brake fluids - just saved me a world trouble. I just looked at the pad surfaces, and they are each about 55 pages of a book thick. I'll change them because, I'm sure they have never been changed since (2008). I just bought the bike this month, and I have no clue what maintenance has/has not been done. So, during the winter I'm going to check, clean, repair, and replace as much "simple stuff" as possible. I hope there is a winter maintenance check-off list here that someone has already made. I'll probably get the fluid changed professionally. I've read some awfull horror stories of newbies changing their own brake fluid. I'm to see it done right before I attempt to do it. Although, if I find a youtube video that completely shows you how, start to finish I may try it.

Thanks again Bro, you should write a book!!!!!
No can do bro.
I can read or write. :mrgreen:

Seriously tho, i do have a few How To threads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Forked

I have a small gash the size of a flea in my slider/bottom part of fork whatever you call it. Always have felt the bike(07 zx-10r) handled poorly, im going to have to replace it and i was going to put some ohlins racing forks, they do not make them for this bike, any suggestions? As of now i am planning on getting a new lower part of fork for about $400 and was told i could send both of them to ohlins to be rebuilt as much as possible, they don't make replacement cartridges either. Would love some info to help with handling.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Hey Jarred

Ohlins makes the FG352 for the gen2 ZX10. When I first looked in to buying a set they didn't have any in stock but were willing to put some together for me. I didn't want to wait. Low and behold, a few sets showed up on Ebay through Ohlins for dirt cheap! If Ohlins can't hook you up with a set, give Dan Kyle a try as he carries a ton of Ohlins goodies and provides outstanding support.

Just out of curiosity, what do you weigh? I'm a big guy and attribute that to a large part of the handling issues I had. I know a little guy in town here that runs stock suspension with no troubles kicking arse in A group.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi, can anybody pm me how many teeth is the stock front sprocket of a zx10r 2011 ? Are exactly the same as 08/09/10 ??? Thanks !!
Stock 2011 ZX comes with a 17 tooth front and 39 tooth rear. It is geared WAAY TOO TALL! I went with -1 on front and + 2 on the rear and it pulls like it should! No one needs to go 104 mph in first gear! Lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
@Sasquatch, im 200 lbs without gear, i ended up just ordering bigger springs so i hope that is enough, its just weird to me i never had problems with my gixxer 600 06, but hoping for a big improvement, so i don't have to run 36psi just to hit the corners nice

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The proper spring rate will do wonders. I went that route first up front as I needed to replace the seals anyway. Out back I bit the bullet and bought a shock. I never felt very confident with the front end. Had I sent it to Dan Kyle (or whomever your favorite suspension guru is) to be worked over I'm sure it would have been excellent. DK worked a miracle on my RC51 forks. It would certainly be worth looking in to as long as you are going to play with them.

At the time I was 275 or so right out of the shower-add head to toe cow and armor and the scale starts to cry. hehehe

Down the lower end of 260lbs these days with more to go. At 6'6" there is only so much to be done. They didn't have us knuckle draggers in mind when they put sport bikes on the drawing board. :mrgreen:

301 - 320 of 353 Posts