Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Yesterday, a friend of mine (a ZX-10R owner) rode to my place to pay me a visit. It was a classic, routine riding with no problems. After a few hours, when he was about to leave, he noticed a very strange noize when his bike's engine started (something like a buzz or close to that) and the bike died immediately. It's not a battery problem, because we tried to feed it through cables. I don't have a video because we never expect that something like that was going to happen. Did anyone have a problem like this before? Any suggestions?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,876 Posts
Um, you need to provide a whole lot more info than that! What year 10R? What's been done to it as far as mods? How many miles? Was it a buzzing noise or a pinging/knocking noise? Where was the noise coming from? What are the other symptoms along with that? You jumped the battery apparently with some cables, but you jumped it from what and how? How did the bike respond when you did that? Did the starter turn the engine over but wouldn't start?

That's such a generic question there's no way to help you with such a limited amount of info.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Um, you need to provide a whole lot more info than that! What year 10R? What's been done to it as far as mods? How many miles? Was it a buzzing noise or a pinging/knocking noise? Where was the noise coming from? What are the other symptoms along with that? You jumped the battery apparently with some cables, but you jumped it from what and how? How did the bike respond when you did that? Did the starter turn the engine over but wouldn't start?

That's such a generic question there's no way to help you with such a limited amount of info.
+1 what he said

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Hello! His ZX-10R is a '19 model. About mods: there's only a SC PROJECT S1 exhaust. He rode 10,091 miles on it. I hear a buzzing noise near the battery. There are no other symptoms, it just won't start. We jumped the battery by connecting two battery cables directly in my car's battery. While the electricity was perfect (lights were working fine) the bike refused to start. Yes, it wouldn't start when the starter turned the engine over.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,876 Posts
Hello! His ZX-10R is a '19 model. About mods: there's only a SC PROJECT S1 exhaust. He rode 10,091 miles on it. I hear a buzzing noise near the battery. There are no other symptoms, it just won't start. We jumped the battery by connecting two battery cables directly in my car's battery. While the electricity was perfect (lights were working fine) the bike refused to start. Yes, it wouldn't start when the starter turned the engine over.
Well, thanks for the update there. Based on that description, I would disagree with you about the battery. The battery is low, and the under-voltage is causing the starter relay to click rapidly and causing the noise you hear. You should just have to jumpstart it to get it going, but the battery is the issue there. Depending on the jumpstart battery condition and connection to it, the fuel pump probably didn't prime before starting it. Typically if you let it sit for a few minutes and retry it, it will prime the fuel rails and be ready to start. So it really points to a power issue going on with it all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, thanks for the update there. Based on that description, I would disagree with you about the battery. The battery is low, and the under-voltage is causing the starter relay to click rapidly and causing the noise you hear. You should just have to jumpstart it to get it going, but the battery is the issue there. Depending on the jumpstart battery condition and connection to it, the fuel pump probably didn't prime before starting it. Typically if you let it sit for a few minutes and retry it, it will prime the fuel rails and be ready to start. So it really points to a power issue going on with it all.
We just changed the battery! Today, my friend came up with a brand new battery. Of course I gave him a call when I saw your reply, to transfer the news. He decided to listen to your advice and insisted on buying a new battery. I mean, his bike, his decission, right? Thank God, when we removed the old battery and replaced the new one, the bike started without any problem. Thank you!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,876 Posts
We just changed the battery! Today, my friend came up with a brand new battery. Of course I gave him a call when I saw your reply, to transfer the news. He decided to listen to your advice and insisted on buying a new battery. I mean, his bike, his decission, right? Thank God, when we removed the old battery and replaced the new one, the bike started without any problem. Thank you!
Bingo! Glad to hear that it's fixed now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts