Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I need to fit my 10R in the back of a mini-van...more specifically a Grand Caravan (Thrifty rental). It's looking like I may have to compress the suspension to get it through the door.....any idea on how to compress it, and keep it compressed long enough to get it inside? There appears to be lots of room once inside, its just the door that may be a tight fit.

I may be able to do it by removing the winscreen and such, but in case I need to compress it, I'll need to know how...lol.

Thanks guys,

Rem

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
There are a lot of ways but the easiest is to strap the front end (Like they do for drag racing). It basically is a kit that includes mounts (high and low) and you use a regular tie down strap type of strap to pull the front end down. Another way is to raise your fork tubes up in the tripple clamps thus lowing the front.

If you're renting a van, rent one with a trailer hitch and rent a bike trailer, it's a whole lot easier and you won't have to smell the bike on the way home.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help guys..

I would rent a bigger truck/van but I'm kinda doing this on the cheap...
I have a trade show/conference in Nashville in September, so instead of flying down I'm driving this van and taking my bike with me....will be over 3000 miles round trip. I'll be stopping at Deals Gap on the way back and will likely spend a full day on the BRP as well.

The company is paying for the van, but it all has to cost the same as or less than airfare, that was my deal...lol.

A friend of a friend fit his Z1000 in the back of one, so my 10R shouldn't be a big issue at all.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just call Jesse James (Monster Garage) he'll show you how to use cutting torches properly, just make sure you have the full insurance coverage on the rental..........REALLY I'M NOT KIDDING>

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
OmegaX said:
Let the air out of the tires, that will help a little.
:+1: the hardest thing about loading a bike with low head clearance is getting the front in because of the angle of the ramp.....you need to be able to load it so that it enters the van level and not at an angle or you might try loading it in by backing the bike up rear first....also removing the windscreen will help and its a quick on/off.....good luck..

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
This is actually a good post for me. I have a Grand Caravan and had to replace the engine a few years ago..but removed the whole hitch mount at the time because it rubs on sharp angles...never found a good one for it so I am without a hitch.

Now if I ever had a break down or wreck there is no way I will leave my bike and come back for it later. I have AAA but they won't transport motorcycles...so the van is my quickest way to get it home if need be quick..so might have to make an emergency load in the VAN. :badteeth:

·
Registered
420 Posts
idea #2:

HERTZ is reaching back to the olden days (68) and offering 500 new LE Ford Mustang Shelby GT-H Cobra's for rental...spring for one of those and rag the hell out of it all 3k miles:thumbsup:

I'm trying to get one reserved for my trip to connecticut this year. should be fun:smile:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Had a roomate with a SuperHawk 996, he used it for track days and without the mirrors he rolled it right in his 1991 dodge caravan!! IF THE SHOE FITS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts