Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike: a zx-10r 2009.
My modifications: removed secondary butterflies, racefit growler slip on, k&n air filter and PCV with customized map (no autotune)

My problem: I just finished a 2000 km long trip to northern Thailand and the bike ran smooth and great all the time. Before leaving this trip I did the 12000 km service even though the bike had just 11000 km on the meter.

Once back in Bangkok I went to clean the bike, played around for a short time and everything felt good. The morning after I started it up and I felt it directly. The bike didn't run clean. In the low rpm's it felt like a resistance - almost like I was pushing the break very lightly even thought i didn't. I took it out for a spin and the bike was running very jerky. I stopped, had some food, sat on the bike again and tried to locate at what rpm the jerkiness came. Before it was only in the low rpms (up to 4k) but now I felt like it was very random, but at this time most of the resistance came in at around 5000rpm, gear didn't matter.

The day after I went to kawasaki and asked them to locate where the problem was.. they ran some tests with the computer and they said everything looked alright and told me to visit the tuner. I did. The tuner didn't think the problem was in the pcv and he put in a zero map instead of my customized dito. I took the bike for a spin again and now the bike really felt like shit. The jerkiness started directly at 1000 rpm and became worse the more i twisted the throttle. I didn't go for a long ride and went straight back.

His idea was to remove the pcv, hand in the bike to kawasaki for some real testing. I left the bike at his shop and now I am home not knowing what to do...

This forum has lots of people with great knowledge and I would like to get some input and feedback. Anybody have an idea of what is wrong with the bike? And if so - what should I do?

Regards,
Tiltovic

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just had a similar problem with my '08 GSXR1000 -- http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272785

After checking everything (and letting it drive me crazy), I found out it was the plugs, even though they looked great when I pulled them the first time. If you plan on doing a lot of constant speed highway & around town riding, you might want to go to a hotter than normal plug to avoid any potential issues.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just had a similar problem with my '08 GSXR1000 -- http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272785

After checking everything (and letting it drive me crazy), I found out it was the plugs, even though they looked great when I pulled them the first time. If you plan on doing a lot of constant speed highway & around town riding, you might want to go to a hotter than normal plug to avoid any potential issues.
Im frustrated like hell.. I experience pretty much the same thing as you are describing - i don't have much confidence in the mechanics at kawasaki and letting them send away my bike will be an expensive experience. They just changed the plugs when I had it serviced a week ago and they might have put in bad plugs (this is thailand). I will check the fuel filter and the fuel pump. Anyone else that might have an idea? Anyone else have had similar experiences?

Tilto

/ Tiltovic

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't had the chance to do anything about my problems yet. Unfortunately I had to pay a visit to my mother-in-law and my bike is still in Bangkok. All I have done is to disconnect my PCV to see that the problem wasn't there.

I am appreciating all help I can get - any reflection is good if it is not about the infamous thai critters..:mrgreen:

Cheers,
Johan

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have heard that voltage rectifiers can cause these same symptoms if they crap out. Probably not it but worth a check none the less.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Im frustrated like hell.. I experience pretty much the same thing as you are describing - i don't have much confidence in the mechanics at kawasaki and letting them send away my bike will be an expensive experience. They just changed the plugs when I had it serviced a week ago and they might have put in bad plugs (this is thailand). I will check the fuel filter and the fuel pump. Anyone else that might have an idea? Anyone else have had similar experiences?

Tilto

/ Tiltovic
Could be gapped wrong though!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I haven't had the chance to do anything about my problems yet. Unfortunately I had to pay a visit to my mother-in-law and my bike is still in Bangkok. All I have done is to disconnect my PCV to see that the problem wasn't there.

I am appreciating all help I can get - any reflection is good if it is not about the infamous thai critters..:mrgreen:

Cheers,
Johan
so what's the performance when PC5 was removed?
I've similar experience...
everything was fine before bike was cleaned. Then something's wrong with PC5, even zero map, but when we remove PC5, everything is fine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so what's the performance when PC5 was removed?
I've similar experience...
everything was fine before bike was cleaned. Then something's wrong with PC5, even zero map, but when we remove PC5, everything is fine.
Hi Pallykuo.. Im pretty sure my problem doesn't have anything to do with my PC5.. the bike performed decently the first few kilometres after I removed the PC5 (maybe even felt quicker - but not as smooth as before my problems started).. Then the problems with jerkiness came back.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Remove the pc5 and run/check your bike. It can malfunction anytime...
Hi Tasos - Long time, no see. Hope you are great!

I wrote "disconnected" but I actually meant that I removed it and all the cables. The bike ran really really bad after I put in the zero map so i decided to remove the box and all the cables to see if the problem was related to the PC5. Once it was removed and the bike had coolened down, the bike ran good. I was happy that it was such an easy fix - but after a few kilometres the jerkiness came back. The problem is still the same.

I can't really try something out at the moment, but I will come back to Bangkok on Friday.

Until then all reflections are welcome:)

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Then check your plugs as said, correct ones? I tried to put a brand new plug in my bike and the thread broke inside .I had to take out the head...quality these days...:headshake

Leave the pc5 out until the problem is found.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My bike: a zx-10r 2009.
My modifications: removed secondary butterflies, racefit growler slip on, k&n air filter and PCV with customized map (no autotune)

My problem: I just finished a 2000 km long trip to northern Thailand and the bike ran smooth and great all the time. Before leaving this trip I did the 12000 km service even though the bike had just 11000 km on the meter.

Once back in Bangkok I went to clean the bike, played around for a short time and everything felt good. The morning after I started it up and I felt it directly. The bike didn't run clean. In the low rpm's it felt like a resistance - almost like I was pushing the break very lightly even thought i didn't. I took it out for a spin and the bike was running very jerky. I stopped, had some food, sat on the bike again and tried to locate at what rpm the jerkiness came. Before it was only in the low rpms (up to 4k) but now I felt like it was very random, but at this time most of the resistance came in at around 5000rpm, gear didn't matter.

The day after I went to kawasaki and asked them to locate where the problem was.. they ran some tests with the computer and they said everything looked alright and told me to visit the tuner. I did. The tuner didn't think the problem was in the pcv and he put in a zero map instead of my customized dito. I took the bike for a spin again and now the bike really felt like shit. The jerkiness started directly at 1000 rpm and became worse the more i twisted the throttle. I didn't go for a long ride and went straight back.

His idea was to remove the pcv, hand in the bike to kawasaki for some real testing. I left the bike at his shop and now I am home not knowing what to do...

This forum has lots of people with great knowledge and I would like to get some input and feedback. Anybody have an idea of what is wrong with the bike? And if so - what should I do?

Regards,
Tiltovic
How does the local dealer do the "12000km service"?
Is there anything wrong in service items?

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet, but what about the probability of you having gotten some bad gas at wherever you filled up? Either when you started or along the way?

I'm not sure what the quality consistency of gas is like in Thailand, but I know that when I vacationed in the Philippines, it was not uncommon for a station to "cut" their gas with everything but water to turn more profit. It most often happened when you were out in the more remote areas. It might not have started to act up till the next morning because perhaps whatever got in the gas was able to settle overnight.

I would drain the tank, fill up at a station that you think is very reputable, maybe run some injector cleaner in the same tank and see how it runs on a fresh tank of gas.

If you got your gas where you always do and it's never been a problem, then, never mind :) and then go the plugs and fuel pump route. It's just that another tank of gas at another station is a painless variable to eliminate first before doing anything...

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet, but what about the probability of you having gotten some bad gas at wherever you filled up? Either when you started or along the way?

I'm not sure what the quality consistency of gas is like in Thailand, but I know that when I vacationed in the Philippines, it was not uncommon for a station to "cut" their gas with everything but water to turn more profit. It most often happened when you were out in the more remote areas. It might not have started to act up till the next morning because perhaps whatever got in the gas was able to settle overnight.

I would drain the tank, fill up at a station that you think is very reputable, maybe run some injector cleaner in the same tank and see how it runs on a fresh tank of gas.

If you got your gas where you always do and it's never been a problem, then, never mind :) and then go the plugs and fuel pump route. It's just that another tank of gas at another station is a painless variable to eliminate first before doing anything...

Good luck to you!
Thanks.. I'm just about to drain my tank.. my friend went to caltex to buy benzine 95. I will try it out soon. Next step is another set of spark plugs..

About the spark plug exchange - as I told you all, I had my bike serviced recently and they changed the plugs. I looked and they put in the same plug as it was before (stock NGKxxxx). I have been riding the bike more than 2000 km after the plug change - wouldn't I have noticed the problem sooner if they did a bad job during the service?

cheers,
Johan

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks.. I'm just about to drain my tank.. my friend went to caltex to buy benzine 95. I will try it out soon. Next step is another set of spark plugs..

About the spark plug exchange - as I told you all, I had my bike serviced recently and they changed the plugs. I looked and they put in the same plug as it was before (stock NGKxxxx). I have been riding the bike more than 2000 km after the plug change - wouldn't I have noticed the problem sooner if they did a bad job during the service?

cheers,
Johan
Generally yes, but I have had a plug not fully seated and backed off that caused the same problems you describe. Double check the gap before you reinstall them.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts