Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to remove the short piece of subframe from the lefthand side of my ZX-14. It will save about 9 ounces of weight. My concern is that the lefthand side subframe is there primarily to reinforce the air box/frame. The air box has a slot in it to remove the air filter and the slot presumably makes the frame weaker on the left.

So, if the ZX-10 has the same frame configuration and the same section of subframe, I will assume the subframe is fairly important.

subframe bolted by S1 and S2. The air filter slot cover is the silver plate above.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A friend witha ZX-10 has informed me that it does not share the same type of frame design with the ZX-14. Any opinions on whether or not to remove the left side subframe from the 14 still welcome.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
The subframe refers to the part of the frame off the rear that supports the seats. It has nothing to do with the picture you posted. The ZX-14 frame is nowhere close to the same design as the zx-10 frame. It's a backbone frame that goes directly over the motor. The zx-10 uses a twin spar perimeter type frame.

If you're referring to the piece in your picture of the ZX-14, I'm betting the Kawi engineers put it there for a specific reason. Do not remove it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks SD. Actually, the parts fiche DOES refer to the rail on the left hand side of the ZX-14 as a subframe. I know that the tail is the only place on most sportbikes where you will see such bolt-on frame bars but apparently any part that supports the main frame is called a subframe.

The tail subframe is definitely not needed on the 14 unless you carry a passenger. It's coming off for sure.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
Thanks SD. Actually, the parts fiche DOES refer to the rail on the left hand side of the ZX-14 as a subframe. I know that the tail is the only place on most sportbikes where you will see such bolt-on frame bars but apparently any part that supports the main frame is called a subframe.

The tail subframe is definitely not needed on the 14 unless you carry a passenger. It's coming off for sure.

Yes, technically any support piece that reinforces the main Frame can be considered a "subframe". It's just not the term most people identify with for those pieces. It is correct though.
The Zx-10r doesn't use those pieces.

·
Registered
723 Posts
it looks like a secondary engine support as its directly below the engine mounting bolt on the s1 side. could also be their to make the frame more ridged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts