Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed stainless lines. I torqued all banjo bolts to spec (13 ft lb). I filled the master cylinder reservior and using a mitieVac, I filled the lines with fluid.

I cannot get any brake pressure at all. Its as if I am not getting fluid into the redail master cylinder. I've used a whole bottle of fluid and rotate between the two calipers and the master cylinder bleed valves and I get fluid coming thru with air.

Is there a trick to doing this? Do I have to do something special to prime the master cylinder.

·
Registered
89 Posts
While I haven't done it on the ten, I always have to crack the banjo bolt at the master cyl to bleed out the air on my dirt bikes. Bleed just like when using the bleerder srew. Crack banjo, pull lever, tighten banjo while still pulling in lever. Two or three times of that and it always works perfect....On a dirt bike any way. Jason

·
Registered
787 Posts
It's the MITYVAC !! Been there.....done that. :eyecrazy:

You are drawing air in from the threads on the bleeder screws.

Do you have a gauge on the pump ? Keep the pressure as low as possible.

You may even want to put teflon on the threads.

Also do the last couple bleeds downs by hand.

Good luck. :wink:

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
BackMarker said:
It's the MITYVAC !! Been there.....done that. :eyecrazy:

You are drawing air in from the threads on the bleeder screws.

Do you have a gauge on the pump ? Keep the pressure as low as possible.

You may even want to put teflon on the threads.

Also do the last couple bleeds downs by hand.

Good luck. :wink:
Is THAT what happens. Good tip.
I always thought it was a bad seal at the rubber bleeder cap.
I bet when I finally got it done I was using less vac. And I did finish using the old school method.

Also be sure to use that reducer piece and the smaller tube end that comes with the mighty vac.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
While teflon tape does work on threaded applications this IS NOT one of them even though in theory it sounds good this is not the cure for the problem you describe.

BD

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
That part sounded off to me as well- think the fluid would eat the tape and maybe get tape into system, but the using less vac on the mighty vac was a good tip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts