Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what your opinons are of 2004 and 2005 zx10r's in terms of comfort -- I commute a lot. I've owned several sportbikes and had a 03 ZX6R with stock suspension that was just god awful. Would make my fingers go numb within 15 minutes. That experience has left me wary of the 04/05, but I love the looks and am on the fence on getting one. How does the 04/05 compare to other bikes that you've ridden?

Also, I know 2004 and 2005 shocks are slightly different... is one more comfortable than the other?

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
I have helibars on my '04 (my back, wrists, and neck couldn't handle the stock handlebar position) and it's fine.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
if your riding over 3 hours your butt may start tot get sore but, more often than not youll probly find yourself twistin the throttle more than expected for shear excitement!

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
I was wondering what your opinons are of 2004 and 2005 zx10r's in terms of comfort -- I commute a lot. I've owned several sportbikes and had a 03 ZX6R with stock suspension that was just god awful. Would make my fingers go numb within 15 minutes. That experience has left me wary of the 04/05, but I love the looks and am on the fence on getting one. How does the 04/05 compare to other bikes that you've ridden?

Also, I know 2004 and 2005 shocks are slightly different... is one more comfortable than the other?
I thought you wanted comfort feedback but it sounds like you have hand problems like I do. The 1st Gen 10R is a vibration bike and don't think that is going to help your problem. :headshake

I have Sleepy hand problems and rode my old ZX9R from Sacramento to LA(400+ miles) with a sore butt and a vibrating hand the whole weekend once I arrived in LA(even though I wasn't on the bike :badteeth:). I swore to myself I would never ride a Sport Bike again on that trip.

Then just about a month ago I took a chance on the 10R. I did the same trip much older in age with a more aggressive stance bike but took precautions this time.

I bought a cruise control not made for the bike but made it work so I can relax my hand at times. Took more rests in between on the starting trip but less on the return trip.

Results:

My Butt was just fine along with my Hand problem.....the ZX10R out did the ZX9R by adding the cruise control and hence my but and back was never sore because I could move around at will.:thumbsup:

On short 1-2hr stints the ZX10R is just as comfy for me as my ZX9R was so a non issue.......bottom line I gave the 1st Gen a :thumbsup: for comfort for beating out a Kawi bike that should have never gave me trouble in the first place for a lousy 400mi. :badteeth:...did a total of 1000miles in 1 weekend on the 1st Gen and rode that Monday to work as well.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
just did a 171 mile trip on a 04 this past saturday, aside from the numb hands from having stock grips, I was fine, I have gel grips on my other 04 and I don't have numbing issue

·
Chairman of the Board
16,124 Posts
6'1, 192 here. My 04 is the most comfortable sportbike I have ridden by far. The sleepy hand IS an issue though. Get some good grips and gloves, that helps. I have not tried bar snake but it sounds effective.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
5' 10" 215, 08 10 bike is uncomfortable as hell but in the words of ricky bobby "I just wanna go fast" so I deal with it. After about 20 minutes my right arm goes to sleep because I cant fully stretch it out.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
yeah, my honda was a little more user friendly in the seat department haha, but I could care less about my ass and arms!!! I say deal with it along with back problems

·
Registered
162 Posts
I came from a 2003 zx6r to the 2004 zx10r and I know exactly what you mean about the comfort issues from the 6. It was definitely the most uncomfortable bike I've ever ridden. With that being said, the zx10 is much more comfortable. The bars are slightly closer so it's not as aggressive of a position. The only problem I'm running into, like everyone else has said, is the vibrations in my right hand causing it to go numb. But I had the same problem on the 636. Other than that it's much better and I can go on longer rides with less discomfort.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

Well.... depends on the commute. The ZX-10 has (mine has, and no tuning has been done) a wonderful controlable throttle, but.... I wouldn't commute in traffic on one. That engine doesn't want to putt putt, in conjestion.

I was happy with the 05 suspension on all but the roughest roads (I love rough roads and have them here) I'd think anyone would be happy with the stock suspension, unless they have racing reasons to up-grade.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Ummm, sore ass has a remedy. It hasn't come up on my 05, but.... on another bike (GIXXR) I did a 4 1/2 month long ride. Living on it all day every day, I found a little drill of whenever it was convenient, raise my butt off the seat. That allows fresh blood to flow into the muscle's and air to carry away any mosture. Between those two things, the sore butt never gets started (didn't for me anyway).

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
6'1", 190, and I have no desire to ride more than an hour at a time due to being uncomfortable. My hands start trying to go to sleep around that time, and then I can't get them to stop, back hurts, legs cramp. But Im old, and I don't commute on mine, so breaks come about an hour or less apart anyway.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
6'1", 190, and I have no desire to ride more than an hour at a time due to being uncomfortable. My hands start trying to go to sleep around that time, and then I can't get them to stop, back hurts, legs cramp. But Im old, and I don't commute on mine, so breaks come about an hour or less apart anyway.

Why put up with handle bars that are a major player in that problem?

You could just do the street fighter conversion to the handle bars. Spiegler has a complete kit by LSL for that.

Even your legs stop complaining, after you take the bend out of your upper body, your legs aren't folded so much.

(I'm 70 years old, You older than that?) :helmet:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just my .02. I'm not the least bit uncomfortable commuting on my first gen, but my 14 miles are mostly highway. If it were stoplight to stoplight, then I wouldn't like it. However I have been known to do 850 mile weekends and ride to work on a Specialized Tarmac(Much more aggressive riding position, and you have to pedal.)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all for your insight. It seems like the throttle hand going numb is a common issue, but I've had the same problem on other sportbikes before. I just wish I had a chance to try out a first gen zx10 for 30 minutes or so, but none of my friends have one :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts