Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Self-Locking F-22

Last week, Lockheed Martin announced that its profits were up a hefty 60 percent in the first quarter. The company earned $591 million in profit on revenues of $9.2 billion. Now, if the company could just figure out how to put a door handle on its new $361 million F-22 fighter, its prospects would really soar.

On April 10, at Langley Air Force Base, an F-22 pilot, Capt. Brad Spears, was locked inside the cockpit of his aircraft for five hours. No one in the U.S. Air Force or from Lockheed Martin could figure out how to open the aircraft's canopy. At about 1:15 pm, chainsaw-wielding firefighters from the 1st Fighter Wing finally extracted Spears after they cut through the F-22's three-quarter inch-thick polycarbonate canopy.

Total damage to the airplane, according to sources inside the Pentagon: $1.28 million. Not only did the firefighters ruin the canopy, which cost $286,000, they also scuffed the coating on the airplane's skin which will cost about $1 million to replace.

The Pentagon currently plans to buy 181 copies of the F-22 from Lockheed Martin, the world's biggest weapons vendor. The total price tag : $65.4 billion.

The incident at Langley has many Pentagon watchers shaking their heads. Tom Christie, the former director of testing and evaluation for the DOD, calls the F-22 incident at Langley "incredible." "God knows what'll happen next," said Christie, who points out that the F-22 has about two million lines of code in its software system. "This thing is so software intensive. You can't check out every line of code."

Now, just for the sake of comparison, Windows XP, one of the most common computer operating systems, contains about 45 million lines of code. But if any of that code fails, then the computer that's running it simply stops working. It won't cause that computer to fall out of the sky. If any of the F-22's two million lines of computer code go bad, then the pilot can die, or, perhaps, just get trapped in the cockpit.

One analyst inside the Pentagon who has followed the F-22 for years said that "Everyone's incredulous. They're asking can this really have happened?" As for Lockheed Martin, the source said, "Whatever the problem was, the people who built it should know how to open the canopy."

Given that the U.S. military is Lockheed Martin's biggest client, perhaps the company could provide the Air Force with a supply of slim jims or coat hangers, just in case another F-22 pilot gets stuck at the controls.

As if the latest canopy shenanigans weren't bad enough, on May 1, Defense News reported that there are serious structural problems with the F-22. Seems the titanium hull of the aircraft isn't meshing as well as it should. Naturally, taxpayers have to foot the bill for the mistake (improper heat-treating of the titanium) which is found on 90 aircraft. The cost of repairing those wrinkles? Another $1 billion or so.

Lockheed Martin's F-22 spokesman, Joe Quimby, did not return telephone calls.

Our tax dollars at work!

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
April 10 what year? there were pictures on the site of that poor guy waiting to get cut out of the thing.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Joe Quimby? really? Like Mayor "Diamond" Joe Quimby on the Simpsons, too funny.

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,371 Posts
Awesome! I wonder if I can use this as a Tax deduction?
Canopy replacement cost is $182,205?

wow, right off of $182,205.00, maybe um, prorate that over 5 years. thats so cool! Won't have to spend a dime in taxes for 5 years!

GO Lockheed Martin!

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
What's with the hazmat suits while cutting the plastic canopy??

And where was the emergency inside release that over-rides the darn software?

I work with stuff that's high tech but way simpler than this (industrial robots) and a mandatory code requirement is that any access door must "easily be unlocked from the inside ... with or without power available ..."

It would really suck if that door wouldn't open when the pilot hit the eject button ...

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
you guys DON'T even want me to begin with how much of the tax payers dollars are wasted daily. my job as a contracting officer is to get the best bang for your buck. unfortunatly, the way our regualtions are set up and with idiots that are supposid "experts" in their fields, that just doesnt happen. we piss on $1M like its pocket change, literally!

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
treyzx10r said:
did ya check out how thick that canopy glass is:eyecrazy:
first thing i thought of....it is crazy thick :eyecrazy:

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Shit we waste money like its water...We change out million dollar parts on a whim if we think it might fix the problem...Last night we changed out 2 ICMS Band 3 control oscilators @ 1.5 mil each on just 1 job. We run jet engines just for the hell of it and call it a confidence run

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Rush is part right. Social programs are still the largest piece of the pie, military second. That doesn't mean that all who recieve gov't. benefits are bums, and not all military programs are wasteful. But the fact that we don't get warranties from military suppliers is just another form of welfare for the big corporations IMO. I'm concerned about the Good 'Ol Boy Network. High ranking officers retire from the military and immediately fill a position with defense contractors who are marketing to the buddies of the former high ranking officer. It's a huge network and, I feel, one that is not closely watched by the dolts we elect to oversee this mess. Sorry. I could go on all day about this stuff.

·
Registered
696 Posts
12RPilot said:
Rush is part right. Social programs are still the largest piece of the pie, military second. That doesn't mean that all who recieve gov't. benefits are bums, and not all military programs are wasteful. But the fact that we don't get warranties from military suppliers is just another form of welfare for the big corporations IMO. I'm concerned about the Good 'Ol Boy Network. High ranking officers retire from the military and immediately fill a position with defense contractors who are marketing to the buddies of the former high ranking officer. It's a huge network and, I feel, one that is not closely watched by the dolts we elect to oversee this mess. Sorry. I could go on all day about this stuff.
Rush is not right at all. The implication is that people who don't work and just want to hang out and be bums are taking your hard earned tax dollars. And that if those people would just take jobs, you would get more money on your paycheck. That's a lie. If you want to count SS in as a 'social program', that's fine- after all, it has the word 'social' in it. But SS benefits go to you and me, and I am fine to pay that tax out of my paycheck.

Bottom line, welfare takes up about 1.2% of the fed budget and the military about 34%. And the waste that goes on in the military is unacceptable. Yet, we let it continue because doing anything about it would be considered unpatriotic, even though most of the waste goes to absurd things like this fighter jet being cut open instead of giving proper body armor to our troops.

Oh, and never ever again say "Rush is right" about anything! That dude is a giant gas-bag of hypocricy. Even when he's right, he's wrong.

BTW, for all those who would complain about SS being solvent when you are old enough to collect it- if we had invested same money into that program instead of stupidly invading Iraq, we could have fixed SS. But oh, I forgot, it's some 'liberal' ideal to want something for everyone when we retire. Attacking 3rd world countries who are no threat to us? That's for everyone! :thumbsup:

Edit- agree completely with your about the 'Good Ol' Boy Network'. But what are we gonna do about it? I know it feels like we are banging our heads against a wall, but what solutions would you propose? I know our elected officials are pretty much useless to deal with it. But how bout some laws that restrict certain activities?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Wow. Anyone that thinks the social programs make up 1.2% of our budget can't be reasoned with. And your rant clearly shows that your mind is made up concerning everything political. I don't blame you. I was that way when I was your age. Very passionate about politics. I think I'll just let you believe what you will. Besides, I don't know enough about what really goes on behind the scenes of military procurement. What I do know just worries me. I'll just step aside now and let you go with it.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Danged firefighters...they will screw anything up:crackup:

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
well if he was locked in the canopy he should gone for a ride while they were thinking of how to unlock the thing

1 - 20 of 24 Posts