Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just got my bike fired first time since wreck heard tickin noise figured it was cam related now must decide wether to do wick fix or cam tensioner before bike is ridable . Does motor have to come apart to install ne tens if so how much has to come off to do this . Thanks

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Nah. You just have to take off the airbox under the tank.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm glad I saw this. I just rolled over 10k miles and my bike has developed what i can swear would be valve noise, kinda on the right side, which goes away once its warmed up, and more noticeable on decel than accel... so i'm gonna try rolling back a few feet and see what i get.. but my question is should I do this cold or hot? or somewhere in the middle?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Did it on my bike and the noise is still there, I've been searching and I think I got alittle more confused with all the other threads I been reading, anyone else got a better thread or diagram on how to do the manual CCT reset?

Here is one with a post that is close but I just want to be sure before I open my bike up.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28981&highlight=reset+cct

·
Registered
554 Posts
What a super interesting thread! Are people still doing this? Is it definately the 'right' thing to do? Is there actually a problem with a bit of ticking noise or is it just because it annoys you? :lol:

·
Registered
232 Posts
a few pages bak there is a diagram.
do the roll back a few times. you can't damage anything.
except the bike IF YOU DROP IT.
its all machanical and connected. you can't affect timing or valves or anything else.
they should be like most cars and have a oil feed that pushs the tensioner out with oil pressure as well as the clicker to hold it there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What happens if you roll the bike more then 8 ft??? Can you over tighten the tensioner???
Rolling the bike back and forward in gear and releasing the clutch just helps the CCT take up the slack from its previous postion. The 8-foot figure you've been told isn't exact - so no it won't over-tension.

You should do it back and forward to help remove the slack.

Using this method, it is extremely unlikely you'll over-tension anything given that the tensioner spring can only push the plunger out if there is enough slack in the chain. As the tensioner spring isn't very strong it won't go out further once it meets resistance.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Why does everyone seem to recommend 5th or 6th gear to do it in? Whats wrong with 1st or 2nd? :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
so for the record i tried to do the roll back thing and failed miserably at it.. was at like 9500miles on the clock.. only got like one or two revolutions of the motor but never really enough of a roll back to reset the clicking noise... so the clicking noise persisted. and so i said screw it and just rode the piss outta her with the clicking noise and all.
guess what..
the clicking noise went away on its own. only took a few miles for it figure it out... now i'm just shy of 13k miles on the clock... and the stator goes and takes a poop on me..
figured i'd let ya'll know.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Why does everyone seem to recommend 5th or 6th gear to do it in? Whats wrong with 1st or 2nd? :)
Just wondering if anyone has any insight into the answer to this question? :dontknow:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has any insight into the answer to this question? :dontknow:
I'll assume no one actually knows then huh?

Or start a new thread as maybe everyones bored of this one :dontknow:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know I'm reviving a decade old thread but does anyone know if it is actually harmful to have the ticking noise? I'll gadly have the noise be there with the OEM CCT as long as it's not harmful and would only consider installing a manual CCT if it was healthier for the engine not to make the ticking sound. Also how does the whole roll back in 5th gear trick work? What's the principle behind it?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
For me, the clicking us bad! First off define what it is, it it's broken retainers then by fuck fairly soon it's all gonna be disintegrated! So if you don't have the gear and competency to check the retainers and don't want to be paying somebody too, then you need to stop riding the bike and at very least eliminate the theory it's a CCT issue causing the noise. The roll back in in gear scenario presents the CCT with slack in the timing chain possibly allowing it to take up slack it normally wouldn't when the engine is running or being turned over by hand. If you basic tools and competency then do this. In a quite place (as little ambient noise as possible) locate and turn 1 of the CCT bolts out 2 complete turns then slowly while listening carefully turn the other out slowly until you here a faint but positive click as the CCT takes up one notch. Then tighten up both bolts start engine, if noise has gone them job done if the noise has reduced but not complete gone then repeat process one more time but never adjust more than 2 clicks. If the noise is still there you have other issues and need to look into 8t.

·
Registered
125 Posts
For me, the clicking us bad! First off define what it is, it it's broken retainers then by fuck fairly soon it's all gonna be disintegrated! So if you don't have the gear and competency to check the retainers and don't want to be paying somebody too, then you need to stop riding the bike and at very least eliminate the theory it's a CCT issue causing the noise. The roll back in in gear scenario presents the CCT with slack in the timing chain possibly allowing it to take up slack it normally wouldn't when the engine is running or being turned over by hand. If you basic tools and competency then do this. In a quite place (as little ambient noise as possible) locate and turn 1 of the CCT bolts out 2 complete turns then slowly while listening carefully turn the other out slowly until you here a faint but positive click as the CCT takes up one notch. Then tighten up both bolts start engine, if noise has gone them job done if the noise has reduced but not complete gone then repeat process one more time but never adjust more than 2 clicks. If the noise is still there you have other issues and need to look into 8t.
Many thanks, you were very clear. The sound seems to be coming from the bottom half of the engine. It's s regular ticking sound. I'll adjust the CCT this weekend as you suggested. If it does not fix the ticking I'll look into the valve retainers which I've heard often break on gen 1s.

81 - 100 of 114 Posts