Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
Good shit, I'm gonna have to try this tonight. Never had this problem though?
I have 26k miles on my 04, just adjusted the valves, reinstalled the CCT and got the cam chain adjusted. It's been fine and I've ridden maybe 500 miles since, but just it started getting a bit louder recently :dontknow:

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
Fuck. It didn't work for me. I'm gonna take out the CCT, reinstall it, and go from there.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
Why does the motor have to be rotated twice after re-installing the CCT?
Someone mentioned it here, and I read it in the service manual also.
Was just wondering why.

EDIT:Ok. No more tick. I basically adjusted it myself. Took off the CCT, pulled it out two notches, turned the motor over twice and bolted everything back up. Still ticking. Ok, two more notches, turn motor, bolt it back up. No tick. Rode it down the street and got on the gas good. She seems to be pulling like she should. Next step is to decide whether I want a new OEM CCT, or MCCT :dontknow:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Why does the motor have to be rotated twice after re-installing the CCT?
Someone mentioned it here, and I read it in the service manual also.
Was just wondering why.

EDIT:Ok. No more tick. I basically adjusted it myself. Took off the CCT, pulled it out two notches, turned the motor over twice and bolted everything back up. Still ticking. Ok, two more notches, turn motor, bolt it back up. No tick. Rode it down the street and got on the gas good. She seems to be pulling like she should. Next step is to decide whether I want a new OEM CCT, or MCCT :dontknow:
Dude, I think you've misread what's been put down here in this thread. If you've just pulled the CCT out by 4 teeth, I would reckon you have definitely set your chain far too tight. You should only try one tooth at a time. Then, after bolting the CCT back on, put the bike in 5th or 6th gear and push it forwards a couple of feet with the clutch pulled in. When the bike has some momentum behind it, let go of the clutch lever and let it try to turn the rear wheel a little. Then repeat the process going backwards. By doing this you are taking out the slack in the chain and helping the CCT to correctly seat against its guide.

After doing this, take the bike out for a ride and listen out for the sound. If you can still hear it, repeat the whole procedure (again by only 1 tooth) until quiet. You may well have to do the push pull thing a couple of times each time you adjust the CCT to help the CCT reseat properly.

Please be aware that in all likelihood you cam chain is probably way too tight now and could well cause big and expensive trouble if you don't reset you CCT back at least three teeth.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
Frogman, I questioned what I did that night and went back and changed it. I ended up only going out 2 teeth. No tick, but no whine either. I think I lost track of teeth the first time and went back to redo it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Frogman, I questioned what I did that night and went back and changed it. I ended up only going out 2 teeth. No tick, but no whine either. I think I lost track of teeth the first time and went back to redo it.
Fair enough, dude. I was just worried for a fellow .10r rider. I certainly hope someone would tell me if I'd done something that could potentially damage my motor.

Glad you sorted it out though. Happy riding:mrgreen:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys, I was freaking out a bit (and dying a little inside) when my 06 started ticking... sounded like the start of something bad. I got it going backwards in 6th a couple times and dropped the clutch. When I started it up the noise was almost completely gone! Amazing, I could have sworn that sound was the valves.
1. I only did it in reverse, is there a reason to do it again going forward?
2. Is there always supposed to be a sleight ticking sound? I have really good hearing and I can pick out all the individual noises, now I cant remember if it was there when I first got it a month ago... its messing with my head.
3. I felt like I caused the sound initially, can agressive clutchless downshifting or excessive revving of the engine cause this in any way?
4. I was shocked to see that so many 10r owners had this problem and that it was robbing us of our power! Can we tell if were running optimally by the sound? or lack of it? I'm kinda pissed... do I have to keep adjusting it all the time to make sure its running right? Is there some kind of racers trick to making sure this doesnt happen to them? Or are we going to see kawasaki riders in the pit wheeling their bikes back and dropping the clutch from time to time to go faster around the racetrack. Does anyone else thing this is total BS that this is happening to us?
5. Last question, when you guys are coming to a stop in first gear is it not as smooth at low rpm as you'd expect? It idles and revs soooo smoooooth, but when your in gear at low rpm its not. Is this also an issue caused by the CCT?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I haven't had to do this yet on my 10R but did on both of my 6RR's, and expect that the 6R will probably need it too. The OEM CCT's are complete garbage IMO, and the manual unit isn't real hard to install...just a tight fit getting a wrench in there to get it done right. I think everyone should just plan on replacing it at the first valve adjustment interval and get it over with. At least that's the stance I'm taking on it from here on out till I buy a bike with a better stock CCT.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Having looked on other bike forums and spoken to riders of other bikes, this doesn't seem to be a problem just with Kawasakis. They all appear to do it at some stage.

I did this 'cure' to my '04 10r a while ago (posted on this thread). It definitely made a big difference. That said, if I'm just commute riding, the 'cure' lasts quite a while, but if I go for a long bike trip I usually have to do it again. And this is with a new OEM part.

Since I did this cure the first time, I've put around 10,000 kilometres (6,213 miles) on the bike and can report no ill effects.

I would strongly advise, however, that if you choose to do it follow the instructions very closely. DON'T guess how many teeth to pull out the CCT plunger by, only do one tooth at a time.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I did this the other day. Left in 5th gear, turned the motor off, and rolled it back about 3 or 4 feet. Now no more ticking noise and it has been 2 weeks. I am so much happier now, the bike now sounds badass like it should. Thanks for the tip!
When exactly did you hear the noise?? so you turn on the bike put it in 5th gear shut it off and roll the bike backwards right now do you do it with the clutch in?? do you let it go once u went 4 ft back?? plz help

61 - 80 of 114 Posts