Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i had a clicking noise which i posted on another thread, it only did it when it was cold then went away when it warmed up. so i decided to replace the cam chain tensioner(because i'v heard/read that some times the cct's will do this), which didn't fix the problem, i was so mad I don't know where i read it. but i decided with the ignition off and in probally 5th or 6th gear i rolled it carefully backwards down my driveway and let out the clutch i did this three or four times, and then did the same thing rolling forward. i couldn't believe it, after i started it up the noise was gone. i assume that i just maybe got one or two more clicks/notches out of my cct. my buddy which has a 04 zx10, recently developed that same noise i had (he had 16,000 miles, i only had 6,000) so without replacing the cam chain tensioner, we just pulled it off looked it over, reset it, put it back in and did the same thing i just decribed, when we started it the noise had gotten worse????????? we were puzzled. so we pulled the tensioner and was evaluating it-with no tension on the tensioner (out of the bike) the stock spring inside the tensioner didn't have enough "spring" if you will, to push the "push rod" all the way through it's travel. so we were wondering. lets just manually pull the "push rod" out just one more click from where it was when we pulled it out, and then lets reinstall it and see what happens, much to our surprise it helped a lot but a little of that "click/noise" was still there. so we pulled the tensioner out again and pulled the "push rod" out one more click. reinstalled it and like magic the noise is completely gone and has been for about a week now.

MY CONCLUSION:
the stock cam chain tensioner's spring is lacking a little-i think, and maybe a replacment spring would help a lot. or just manually pull the rod out a click or two. or an APE manual tensioner, whick i don't really want to do.

MY OTHER CONCLUSION:
god dam i love my bike.
i hope that maybe this might help some other fellow zx10 owners, i was very sad when my bike was making this noise and i was starting to think that i was going to have to pull the motor. thank god i didn't. if yours is making a strange noise that you KNOW isn't normal valve train noise try this it might work.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Did you reinstall the cct with the plunger set and the cap off? also are you sure you didn't lose the little pin in there did you? After the cct is torqued tight and the cap installed and pushing on the spring did you rotate the motor twice around like you are suppose to do? I suspect you motor now has a nice hight pitched wine?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I get a clicking noise also, all my kwakis had them. I have gotten use to it, and actually get nervous if the noise stops. I feel it's my bike's way of talking to me, ha!!

Reactions: Southwest_Ninja

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya gunner i installed it with the plunger set, then installed the bolt, and the little pin was still there, and i rotated it just like the kawy factory repair manual said.
to the other comment, i know kawasakis make noise, but i'm telling you and everyone else the noise i was hearing was abnormal cam chain noise-slack or whatever you want to call it. but what i described took care of it and i'm so so dam pleased about it. now i'm going to do a 16t sproket. oh ya baby!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
By the backward rolling deal you put extra slack in the cam chain when you released the clutch as I'm sure you're aware. This allowed the cct to go an extra click. This would be the same thing that happens on decel I suppose, but with the slipper clutch on the 10 I wonder if possibly it don't see as much reverse tug on the cam chain and that allows large amounts of slack to gather before the plunger can go another tooth out? A though I guess.

It's always a bad thing to have a Cam chain TOO tight! and it will rob power as well.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Gunner said:
Did you reinstall the cct with the plunger set and the cap off? also are you sure you didn't lose the little pin in there did you? After the cct is torqued tight and the cap installed and pushing on the spring did you rotate the motor twice around like you are suppose to do? I suspect you motor now has a nice hight pitched wine?
hehe... i know exactly what you're talking about.:badteeth:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I did this the other day. Left in 5th gear, turned the motor off, and rolled it back about 3 or 4 feet. Now no more ticking noise and it has been 2 weeks. I am so much happier now, the bike now sounds badass like it should. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
so basically the only way to know if ur tensioner needs adjustment is by knowing what type of noise to hear for? is this "clicking" sound pretty loud or noticeable? if there is no "sound" should i assume its still ok?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
TI10 said:
so basically the only way to know if ur tensioner needs adjustment is by knowing what type of noise to hear for? is this "clicking" sound pretty loud or noticeable? if there is no "sound" should i assume its still ok?
My ticking noise was loud enough to hear all the time before i changed my exhaust. it was only noticeable at lower rpm's and sounded like valves ticking but a bit quieter. If you dont hear any strange noises then i wouldnt worry. My bike basically sounded like a POS. I know Kawi's are loud, but this wasnt loud, it sounded like it was starving for oil or something when it wasn't. Now it sounds great.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
On noises. I posted this the other day and got a few ideas. A couple of times mine has made a high pttched screaming noise when I start, which only goes away after I turn off and restart. Thought it was coming from the motor, but it seems to be coming from the tank. This is loud. Of course it wont do it for the dealer. Has 27,000 kilometres on the clock. Anyone had this happen???

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
TI10 said:
cool. so were u able to hear it when just standing next to it? b/c when i do that i dont hear anything, but when i put my head next to the engine then i hear all the typical kawi noises
Yeah, you could hear it from probably 10 feet away. And it always did it, didnt matter if it was warmed up or not.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I did this the other day. Left in 5th gear, turned the motor off, and rolled it back about 3 or 4 feet. Now no more ticking noise and it has been 2 weeks. I am so much happier now, the bike now sounds badass like it should. Thanks for the tip!
Just did this, except I rolled mine back 6-8 feet in 5th gear and the noise has gone away!:thumbsup: Mine wasn't really loud, but noticeable. Thanks very much.:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Went riding tonight and maybe this is something psychological, but it seems after doing the above technique I have awaken the beast. By that I mean there is more usable power and it REALLY pulls hard now. The acceleration is much quicker and smoother. If the cam chain is at the correct adjustment or close to, would this seem plausible or just fiction? Any concerns or comments would be helpful.

·
Registered
153 Posts
:rockwoot: I have been nervous of this sound since day one when i purchased the 10! I tried this method yesterday evening and ...............and .....................I:love10: this place:thumbsup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
try it, another buddy of mine was skeptical when i told him, he has an 04 10r, so he just replaced his CCT (cam chain tensioner), didn't do sh*t, then he tired what i suggested and it worked, it's been about 10,000 miles and is still quiet (knock on wood). I can't even begin to tell you the frustration i had when i was first dealing with the noise i had, i did ALOT of research and a lot of forum searching (which i might also add this is the BEST bike forum site anywhere) talked to many mechanics, well i guess i just got lucky, but it makes me smile reading that it's helped other people quiet up there 10r's. :cool:

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Does this really work? Anybody had any bad experiences with it?
It has worked for the last 20 years with ratchet type Camchain Tensioners , but is no different than doing a long rundown in a tall gear, what it will do as with all cam chain wear is start to alter valve timing and sometimes you will notice a performance change.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts