Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am a new owner of an 08 ZX10R. I have been really curious about what the best way to break in the new motor is, and have found excellent advise here. However everyone seems to talk about staying away from constant rpm's. I was wondering how long is this advice applicable? How many miles should the bike have before I can confidently ride on the freeway keeping the rpm's around the same value for the whole ride on the freeway? Or do you want to try and always vary your rpm's for the whole life of your bike? Is avoiding constant rpm's just applicable to "break-in" period? And if so, then for how long until you can use constant rpm's. Or is it something you want to do for the life of your bike? Sorry for the repetition, and the same old post.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
well as long as you load up the engine(fairly hard on then off the throttle but nooo redlineing)for roughly a 1000 miles you will be fine...After that ride what ever way ya like..To be honest with ya the most important part of the break in is with in the 1st 20 or so miles..As long as ya load the engine(maken it work with out luggin it)you will be fine afterwards..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good. Thanks by the way. Oh and does that mean that you pretty much stay off the freeway until around 1000 miles, or do you just get on it and vary your speed and rpm's.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
where you ride and how you break it in is up to you..Just load up the engine best you can and change the oil atleast 4 times then go full synthetic at roughly 1500-2000 mi..
pinkstons_jon's link is basically the same but that fella knows way more than me and i have broken in my last 3 bikes like that with all good results..

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts