Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
forks are leaking, is this a DIY job, or do I have to take the bike to a shop, what am I looking at pricewise.

thx

·
Registered
376 Posts
screw the dealerships

forks are leaking, is this a DIY job, or do I have to take the bike to a shop, what am I looking at pricewise.

thx
i got charged $200 to rebuild one fork at a local dealer. i was furious..next time ill spend the $89 dollars on the tools and do it myself. i think theres a how to on this site.

·
Registered
229 Posts
about $90-$120 if you remove your forks...not that bad...the fork seal are cheap its the labor that get you.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thx guys, I will weigh my options and see what I can do, I dont have much time to spend a whole day doing the job, if I can get it done for less that 300 bucks local in a shop I should be good

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
If you buy those tools in Garths thread and follow his how-to you can do your seals in about 30 minutes to an hour!! If changing your engine oil is a 1 out of 10 on a difficulty scale this is a 2 out of 10

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thx rdlyn, much appreciated bro, I have installed all the mods on my bike, done the tre gipro, sparkplugs, fuel pump etc

maybe I should tackle this job myself after all

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah the biggest thing will be cleanliness!!! Make sure the tubes are spotless, anything on the tube will hurt the seals but really its not a bad job to do.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
If you buy those tools in Garths thread and follow his how-to you can do your seals in about 30 minutes to an hour!! If changing your engine oil is a 1 out of 10 on a difficulty scale this is a 2 out of 10
:+1:......the shop i go to here will replace the seals,dustcaps,and fluid for around $140 if i take them the forks BUT with the right tools....there's not a whole lot to it but to just do it.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I have to do a set of forks for my buddies gsxr 1000 maybe I Will make a video now that I have all the video equipment....

EDIT..... just looked on youtube theres already some vids!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
damn broskis, where do I buy the seals and the fluid

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
damn broskis, where do I buy the seals and the fluid
you can order the seals threw your kawi dealer.... BUY OEM trust me!

or you can order threw www.ronayers.com or check www.superbikesupply.com they are a site sponsor, I'm sure they can hook you up.

the tools have a link to traxxion dynamics, hey they are 90 bucks and you could either sell them or keep them and do a buddies and make your money back ya know.

I'd stick with what ever weight stock is unless you need to change viscosity but check out the service manuals hosted on this site, it will give you all the specs

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
One hint for you if you tackle it yourself that I learned the hard way is, Garth says to loosen your fork cap while your forks are still in your triples and this is a good thing to do but make sure you loosen your top pinch bolts on the triples!!! Fork caps are expensive and very soft!! Lol

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
One hint for you if you tackle it yourself that I learned the hard way is, Garth says to loosen your fork cap while your forks are still in your triples and this is a good thing to do but make sure you loosen your top pinch bolts on the triples!!! Fork caps are expensive and very soft!! Lol
Hmmm ya know very good thing to point out, maybe I'll go back and edit that post as a tip!

I've never had a problem with mine getting hurt from that but I'm sure it could happen, makes sense.... :thumbsup:

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Hmmm ya know very good thing to point out, maybe I'll go back and edit that post as a tip!

I've never had a problem with mine getting hurt from that but I'm sure it could happen, makes sense.... :thumbsup:
Yeah the first time I did the forks the pinch bolts were tight and I couldnt get the caps loose, so of course me being me I put more force into the wrench and stripped the shit out of the cap!! :BangHead: Fork caps are about $120 bucks from bikebandit but luckily I got hooked up here from a good member! :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
376 Posts
you can order the seals threw your kawi dealer.... BUY OEM trust me!

or you can order threw www.ronayers.com or check www.superbikesupply.com they are a site sponsor, I'm sure they can hook you up.

the tools have a link to traxxion dynamics, hey they are 90 bucks and you could either sell them or keep them and do a buddies and make your money back ya know.

I'd stick with what ever weight stock is unless you need to change viscosity but check out the service manuals hosted on this site, it will give you all the specs
:+2: aftermarket fork seals are complete trash!!! found out the hard way

1 - 17 of 17 Posts