Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, all....

Some of you may know me from BARF, ADVRider, etc....

I traded an old race bike of mine that had been in storage for an 04 ZX10R, (that had also been warehoused for 8 years :D).

I'll be lurking around, looking into doing stuff while I have it apart for inspection and such. I know I need to change the front master, it needs some head bearing love as well.

I had heard that the forks can be questionable on this thing. If there is any information I could be pointed to on that, it would be great... And, hell, any other information for stuff to look out for/change would be hella awesome!

Cheers!

-Jake

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome and I second looking for cracks in the frame.
Had a friend find out his frame was cracked on a ride when someone
mentioned and then showed him what and where to look. Gen1 Beast!!!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Frame cracks are common on 1st gen. Also a good idea to pull out the generator and replace the thrust washers with the updated version.
Fork seals usually leak on any Kawasaki with the black for tubes. Probably a good idea to change the fork oil and clean out the internals anyway. 1st gen forks are very easy to service.
Leave the secondaries in the TB, but disconnect the exhaust valve (if you have stock header).
-1+2 gearing for serious attitude adjustment
and of course -- dump the gas, install new spark plugs, and sync the TB's.

WELCOME TO GEN 1 NIRVANA!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has a cored out pipe, and a remapped ecu.... I'll be servicing about everything.
I pulled the plugs, fog oiled the cyls, changed the filters, changed the oil. Cranked it by hand. Blew the oil out of the cyls. Dumped the gas, replaced with high test treated with sea foam and inj cleaner. Changed the battery to a shorai....
Sounds pretty nice....

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So... Where are the common cracks, or am I spraying every weld with penetrant to check everything? Also, what grade aluminum is the frame, in case I need to disassemble to reweld....

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I don't know the grade of aluminum, but it can be welded up nicely if prepped correctly. Its not a deal breaker. Some of them are fine and never crack either. Your bike looks great! I love that blue color. First ZX10 I ever rode was a blue 04 just like that. Hooked me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts