Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Can I get your opinion on something? I recently installed my cat eliminator pipe and my intention has been to install smog block off plates when I get around to it. However, It turns out that I really like the popping sound on decal. I've also seen flames shooting from a buddy's exhaust and it looks pretty sick!

I know that they should be installed if I dyno tune it but I'm happy with the existing power and probably wouldn't get around to a dyno tune until next year or not at all.

What do you guys think of the popping and flames? Should I keep it or should I put in the plates after all?

Are there any negatives (other than weight) to keeping the Kleen system in place?

Cheers

·
Registered
216 Posts
I recently installed smog plates in order to get more out of my dyno tune, however i gained about .5hp and exactly the same torque everywhere.

I miss my flames and popping. I hate listening to my bike engine brake and just wind down on its own, needs more noise and fire.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree 100%. It's certainly a lot more interesting to ride this way. I do have a lot more power to find though. It seems to run rich at the moment.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Problem with the popping/cracking on decel, is that it will wear out the packing material in your pipe/canister prematurely. That can lead to degradation in both sound and performance.

To me that crackling and popping sounds f'ing horrid... But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Problem with the popping/cracking on decel, is that it will wear out the packing material in your pipe/canister prematurely. That can lead to degradation in both sound and performance.

To me that crackling and popping sounds f'ing horrid... But that's just my opinion.
Holy KAW have you ever considered what that horrible popping sound on decell would sound like on a cross plane crank R1? Yes its different. Even worse.

Listen to this 2015 R1M popping on decell in this video.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, good to know about the muffler packing. I'll have to keep my eye (and ear) on that. I think I'll put off the plates until I get my valves adjusted since I really do enjoy the current sound.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Ah, good to know about the muffler packing. I'll have to keep my eye (and ear) on that. I think I'll put off the plates until I get my valves adjusted since I really do enjoy the current sound.
The plates can be somewhat difficult to get access to install. So waiting till you have the valve cover off to do them makes sense.

When I installed my exhaust, I removed the radiator to make it easier and while it was off could easily access the plates from the front of the engine. Otherwise, they are a bitch to get to.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just listened to the R1 vid above. Holy cow that sounds terrible!

Luckily, mine sounds a lot better. :grin2:

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
instead of doing plates, can always just toss vacuum caps on hoses instead.
Very true.

I've sent people concerned about the install this way to accomplish the same thing:
Black Cap/Plug ZX-10R (11-14)Exhaust Accessories | Brock's Main Store

There are also other ways of doing it like plumbing the ports together, a marble in the airbox (!!??!!) or simple vacuum caps on everything like you stated.

Me personally, I like have the plates in. I do my plugs at the beginning of the season and it makes maintenance a breeze. Also you don't have extra un-needed crap on the bike that can go bad. Should one of those lines dry rot or develop a crack, air will start to get introduced again and throw things outta wack.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The plates were not difficult to do. But i did rip out all that rubber that covers the engine. Other than pull some other hoses out the way its very straight forward.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts